• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Feature: Match Factor - Levelling the field for Test Batsmen

viriya

International Captain
Interesting idea. I think it should end up being similar to run weighting based on team scores by match. The issue I see with this is that you have to explicitly define which period each player is in? Or maybe I misunderstood.

Also, why do you take ICC peak ratings as comparison? ICC just lists the players that reach the highest peaks - it's not an evaluation of a career. That's why you get Peter May at #5 there.

chasingthedon

International Regular
Interesting idea. I think it should end up being similar to run weighting based on team scores by match. The issue I see with this is that you have to explicitly define which period each player is in? Or maybe I misunderstood.

Also, why do you take ICC peak ratings as comparison? ICC just lists the players that reach the highest peaks - it's not an evaluation of a career. That's why you get Peter May at #5 there.
Thanks for reading and commenting. No idea what that run weighting stuff is so can't comment, but yes, absolutely the player's own era must be known. That's not difficult with the database I have.

As regards the ICC ratings, my understanding based on their faqs is that it is career rating per their description, but with emphasis on the most recent performances.

chasingthedon

International Regular
Oh I see what you mean - I compared it to the ICC rankings as it was the only top 100 of which I was aware that is derived statistically.

viriya

International Captain
Oh I see what you mean - I compared it to the ICC rankings as it was the only top 100 of which I was aware that is derived statistically.
Back before ICC bought this rating system from PwC they used to have detail on their methodology. It's relatively simple as I recall: they use 4-5 factors: runs, bowling rating, percentage of match runs (which they called pitch factor) and one more minor factor (home/away from what I recall).

The real "innovation" of those ratings was the current ratings structure - I basically mimic their exponential smoothing method (which was described in detail) in my current ratings. The equivalent to their current ratings all-time on cricrate would be:
cricrate | Current Ratings - Test Batting

^ which is basically the highest "form peaks" of all-time. It doesn't really tell you much about an overall career.

If ICC actually put out an "area under graph" of their current ratings (you can see each player's graph in individual player pages) that would actually be a plausible career ratings (averaged per match and with a bonus for longevity probably), but since they took over from PwC they haven't touched the formula. From what I remember PwC initially did this based on input from Ted Dexter.

Last edited: