• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Indies vs Pakistan in UAE 2016

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
More WICB Gold

I honestly don’t think Simmons’ sacking is affecting the team. Can any single person affect the performance of a team? I heard (former West Indies pacer) Andy Roberts say that in their time they didn’t even have a coach.” Muirhead stressed that the West Indies players are all professionals and should be technically sound at this level to put up a better showing.
“I don’t think the coach has an effect at this level,” he declared.

Muirhead said although Pakistan are a competitive team, he is bemused as to why the West Indies are performing so badly.

“I am disappointed more than anything else. Pakistan is a reasonable side but I don’t know what is happening,” the WICB CEO concluded.
That right there is the WICB CEO who doesn't think that sacking a top quality coach that is respected by all the players a day before the tour makes any difference.....

Niall

International Coach
Hafeez has failed in the warm up which is probably good long term for Pakistan, last thing they need is him to play against the West Indies, ton up and then be taken overseas and fail miserably yet again.

Younis out of the first test should mean Azam makes his debut, harsh on Alam but heh he is used to it. Hopefully he is next in line,

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Hafeez has failed in the warm up which is probably good long term for Pakistan, last thing they need is him to play against the West Indies, ton up and then be taken overseas and fail miserably yet again.

Younis out of the first test should mean Azam makes his debut, harsh on Alam but heh he is used to it. Hopefully he is next in line,
Is Alam really in the line anymore? He was not in the test squad for England and not sure if the new selection committee under Inzy rate him much.

Azam making his debut looks like the natural outcome but not sure if it's the right one given YK will be back for the second test and Pakistan are looking to play an allrounder (Nawaz or Imad) in the test series. Then you will be left with a situation in the second test of dropping Babar after one game, or if he scores heavily, dropping the allrounder which is kinda stupid because Pakistan need one for the rest of the year.

Niall

International Coach
Can't remember where I read it, but defo seen Azam linked to the test squad.

I'd be shocked if iftikhar does not start the first West Indies test. Misbah loves him and is a loyal guy.

He will do fine against the West Indies with the bat and heck he may troll some wickets, but he as a fifth bowling option in Australia is something that should be entertained.

I'd expect

Sami-Azhar-Shafiq-Azam-Misbah-Iftikhar-Sarfraz

Amir & Shah (2 certs)

then 2 from Babar, Sohail and Riaz.

Last edited:

Niall

International Coach
WTF? You really think Iftikhar will be in the squad? I was kinda hoping that was not part of the conversation
I hope not, but Misbah likes him and he may feel that it is unfair to drop him after one test,maybe Mickey will have different ideas, but his 60 today won't have done him any harm and he got a century last week in domestic cricket.

He did after all take the crucial wicket of Anderson in the last test and he is only 26 also.:ph34r:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
:censored::censored::wallbash:

You're probably right and Misbah does like batsmen who can bowl off spin..but I also know Arthur was livid with the shot Iftikhar played in the Oval test and it could very well have cost Pakistan the game.

This sounds really bad. The last thing I want is this guy to ton up against WI and then be number 6 in NZ/AUS.

Regarding Fawad Alam, one thing I have always wondered is why he is such a gun left arm bowler in my International Cricket Captain game but never worked to develop that in his own game. He would have been an automatic selection now as 5th bowler who can bat

Niall

International Coach
Remember that ODI against Australia where he bowled with his cap back to front with a bad ass beard, looked cool as hell.

Slightly ruined it by then scoring 6 off near 30 balls when he batted though:laugh:

Alam must be in their thoughts as he has captained a lot of the a sides etc, but maybe they are not going to pick him in the test squad until Misbah or Younis go? Its very odd, don't recall stories of him been a **** outside cricket either. :wacko:

IffY will be a disaster overseas, as he is barely a fifth bowling option in four day cricket, so expecting him to get through 10 overs a day on a road v Australia is asking a lot, they may as well pick Hafeez if they aren't thinking further than this series.

Nawaz would be my choice ahead of Wasim, not as good as a bat, but probably more likely to trouble people in test cricket than Wasim who doesn't spin it enough from what I have seen of him.

I could understand Misbah and Arthur preferring Wasim though when you look at the tail however.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Nawaz is a decent bat actually..I think he can be a decent batsman at 7..but will need a few games though to find his place. And I don't think Pakistan are thinking that long term with Fawad..the selection committee keeps changing so who would be planning that far ahead? I think his best chance was 2014 season and when he was dropped after the Australia ODI series, he left with a reputation of not being a very good batsman.. even in the ongoing cricket talk shows hosted by Doc, I heard them talk about how Fawad was unable to pierce the fields and score runs..not that any of these views are actually valid..but this is the perception about him.

so even after Misbah-YK leave, I think there are a few ahead of him in the list.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Azhar, Sami, Shafiq, Misbah, BabarA, Nawaz, Sarfraz, Yasir, Amir, Wahab, ZBabar, Rahat, Sohail, Imran K

Happy with the squad.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Yepp! The test team is the most settled, the batting line up selects itself but if one guy could break into that team, it was Babar Azam

Howe_zat

Audio File
So they're set on Nawaz at six? Why has he leapfrogged Imad Wasim who's been batting head of him in every limited overs game?