• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW chooses the second greatest batsman ever redux, 100 men from 5 eras whittled to 1

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
WG Grace
Archie Maclaren
Clem Hill
KS Ranji
Victor Trumper

The great Johnny Tyldesley would have been another good choice, and a class above Jackson, Fry, and Noble.

The first double centurian, Billy Murdoch, is another missing icon, as is Herbie Taylor who had his finest hour against Sydney Barnes on some horrible matting where the ball turned side-ways.

Herbie Taylor is featuring in heat 2 as is Johnny Tydesley

mr_mister

nvm I've decided Clive's more deserving than 9 tons in 62 tests Ted Dexter. Just not impressive enough for this exclusive tournament. Sorry Ted. Now OS be quiet because you're not helping

Last edited:

mr_mister

I'm blaming you because just throwing names at me that I've obviously already considered without suggesting who they should replace is silly

And it doesn't matter that I've started early because the Golden Age period was already set in stone. I can still fiddle around with the other eras for now. And yes I know I'm a bit over-attached to this 5 different eras idea

mr_mister

I suppose I could but it would make some groups pretty big and ruin the neatness of exactly 100 names becoming 50. I'm not even sure what I'm gonna do yet once I narrow it to 50 either

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
We should run a battle of who runs a competition thread better, mr_mister vs morgieb.

Tough first heat. I could easily have easily swapped out Fry and Hill for any of the other listed names.

WG Grace
CB Fry
Clem Hill
KS Ranji
Victor Trumper