• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Player to bat for your life?

Player to bat for your life?

• Total voters

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I think my example of a batsman who didn't premeditate enough was James Neesham. I remember him getting out to a leg side strangle on a hat trick delivery. Why didn't he premeditate defence? He was facing a hattrick delivery for crying out loud in an ODI, I would have blocked it even if it had've been a full toss. But he fiddled with a poor delivery down the leg side and tried to score off it and got out. He thought I will play the ball on its merits when he walked out to bat and as a result he got out for a golden and gave the opposition a hat trick. That would not have happened to Rahul. I can guarantee without looking up his record that he never became someone's hat trick scalp.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah but again you are being unfair if you think he will think of the hattrick over the need to score in an ODI. That is my point.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah but again you are being unfair if you think he will think of the hattrick over the need to score in an ODI. That is my point.
Elaborate on your point.

What I am saying is that everyone should block a hat trick ball even in a pressure cooked ODI where every ball counts.

smash84

The Tiger King
As far as I am aware, this was not said by Viv Richards.

Sunil Gavaskar's wife was asked who her favourite batsman was. She said Viv was her favourite batsman, but she'd have Miandad to bat for her life because Miandad 'plays with his heart'.
I could be wrong but i remember reading it somewhere and again in this article when i googled it

Javed Miandad: Whenever he played, ?it was war? - Sport - DAWN.COM
Viv Richards reportedly once said: “If I have to choose a batsman to bat for my life, it would be Miandad.”

TestMatch

U19 Cricketer
If you want someone cautious who will play very few shots but will absolutely not give his wicket: Chanderpaul

If you want someone who takes the fight back to the enemy whilst having the potential to stay alive for a long time: Lara

If you want a batsman who symbolically represents your ideologically stance toward the injustices of global capitalism: Adam "Karl Marx" Gilchrist

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Elaborate on your point.

What I am saying is that everyone should block a hat trick ball even in a pressure cooked ODI where every ball counts.
I don't understand this logic. What happens if you need say, 10 runs off 4 balls to win the game? Block the hat-trick ball? I gave you a tough example to make my point

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I don't understand this logic. What happens if you need say, 10 runs off 4 balls to win the game? Block the hat-trick ball? I gave you a tough example to make my point
And this gives me a chance to use a fantastic quote I heard in Bible study a month ago. "If you take any concept and push it to its extreme limits it will break. Every concept is subject to reasonableness limits".

So 95 times out a hundred in a pressure cooked ODI you premeditate defence. Yes there willl be exceptions but even in those exceptions you will actively decide your approach to the delivery before you face up.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
And this gives me a chance to use a fantastic quote I heard in Bible study a month ago. "If you take any concept and push it to its extreme limits it will break. Every concept is subject to reasonableness limits".

So 95 times out a hundred in a pressure cooked ODI you premeditate defence. Yes there willl be exceptions but even in those exceptions you will actively decide your approach to the delivery before you face up.

I think whether to block the hattrick ball or not really depends on the situation and my point is that Dravid will decide based on that situation, like any other good batsman to have played this game.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
like any other good batsman to have played this game.
His propensity to erring towards premeditating defence exceeds other batsman. More so than anyone else I recall seeing even TMac even though TMac was a slower batsman. TMac just had fewer shots in his cupboard.