• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan Rise to Number 1

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
True but the Indian batting had been very strong for a long time. So while this batting is still good, but they are definitely a step down from a fair number of indian teams of the past decade
If you use that yardstick, every batting lineup in the world is a step below that one.

OverratedSanity

I'd say England definitely and arguably Pakistan look better batting lineups (their display in England changed my mind). Australia are clearly stronger in familiar conditions than their Indian counterparts, though that could be put down to their pitches being roads in comparison to the average Indian Test pitch these days.

SA is the wildcard. If Amla/AB/du Plessis are in form, they are the best bet to do well anywhere, and least affected by the conditions.
Pakistan, yes. Disagree with England. They have terrific depth, but they have a spud opening the batting with Cook, and a couple more spuds in the middle order. Cook and Root ( and maybe Bairstow) carry that whole lineup, while we've had all of Vijay, Pujara, Rahane, Kohli, Ashwin delivering big in recent times. Even the guys who aren't quite at that level like, Rahul and Rohit are better than the the likes of Vicne and Hales imo.

Last edited:

vcs

Really rate their lower order, having said that, ours has also been pretty good in recent times. It's close, but I'd just about give it to them. I know Pakistan did well there recently, but I still think England have got the biggest ceiling of all the teams right now, in terms of potential to dominate for a while.

smash84

The Tiger King
Really rate their lower order, having said that, ours has also been pretty good in recent times. It's close, but I'd just about give it to them. I know Pakistan did well there recently, but I still think England have got the biggest ceiling of all the teams right now, in terms of potential to dominate for a while.
OS has it right about England's batting, especially the middle order. However their depth is insane. It's extremely demoralizing for teams to get them 6 or 7 down and get into the tail, only to find that the tail is a harder nut to crack than the middle order.

Actually England's tail should be batting in the middle and vice versa.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
IMO both of India's and Pakistans claims to be No1 are tainted slightly until they play each other. England, Australia and South Africa have earned their ranking points by playing all the other top sides.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Perhaps it has been explained before, and I have forgotten, but why DONT India and Pakistan play each other? Is it political pressure? danger? board bickering?

Daemon

It's intensified of late but hasn't it always been the case?

Nothing wrong with a neutral venue imo. If not the UAE then they should totally play in Malaysia or something, some quality grounds there.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Dude the countries are attacking each other at the border and you expect them to play cricket?

They seem to play each other without incident in every ICC ODI tourny. Where there is the will there is a way.

Sort the **** out or neither of them can claim to be No1 when they are ducking what is probably the second best team.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Nothing wrong with a neutral venue imo. If not the UAE then they should totally play in Malaysia or something, some quality grounds there.
They seem to play each other without incident in every ICC ODI tourny. Where there is the will there is a way.

Sort the **** out or neither of them can claim to be No1 when they are ducking what is probably the second best team.
Yeah I fully agree with these posts. They obviously can't play in Pakistan and playing in India is probably off the table as well, but if they can play when they come up against each other in world tournaments, they should be able to play a Test series in the UAE or Malaysia or somewhere else.

I'd actually love to see them play a series in England, tbh, hugely unlikely as that obviously is.

OverratedSanity

Would Kashmir be the ideal neutral venue? :p

Burgey

I'd say England definitely and arguably Pakistan look better batting lineups (their display in England changed my mind). Australia are clearly stronger in familiar conditions than their Indian counterparts, though that could be put down to their pitches being roads in comparison to the average Indian Test pitch these days.

SA is the wildcard. If Amla/AB/du Plessis are in form, they are the best bet to do well anywhere, and least affected by the conditions.
It's not really a road if it only seems like a road when one team bats on it.

Burgey

Yeah I fully agree with these posts. They obviously can't play in Pakistan and playing in India is probably off the table as well, but if they can play when they come up against each other in world tournaments, they should be able to play a Test series in the UAE or Malaysia or somewhere else.

I'd actually love to see them play a series in England, tbh, hugely unlikely as that obviously is.
They should play it here in the Top End. Be a 0-0 draw but it would be fun.

vcs

It's not really a road if it only seems like a road when one team bats on it.
Can't be arsed Statsguru-ing it, but I'm pretty sure it's been one of the better venues for visiting batsmen in recent years.