• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2016/17

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Smith and Clarkson to be the latest in a long line of big-hitting all-round talents that promise enormous things but only get on the park in between injury breaks, bowling gradually degrades towards military medium and batting never quite makes the grade for 5 or 6 at international level...

:(

But this time it will be different, I hope.

Blain

U19 Captain
I see M Bracewell has signed for Wellington, which is a decent pick up IMO (Otago's batting unit is looking worse and worse). But I also see they have got the Dutch international Logan Van Beek. WTF. No wonder Welly can't develop talent when you pick guys like him in front of local juniors.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I see M Bracewell has signed for Wellington, which is a decent pick up IMO (Otago's batting unit is looking worse and worse). But I also see they have got the Dutch international Logan Van Beek. WTF. No wonder Welly can't develop talent when you pick guys like him in front of local juniors.
Hey, any time you can pick a bog average gap filler like Logan van Beek or Deepak Joon, you have to do it right?

Rains every weekend in Wellington anyway, impossible to nurture talent on artificial indoor nets.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmm Ross Taylor at least had the decency to raise his game when he felt scorned and betrayed, but Wellington cricket talent generally doesn't. No fire in the belly there at all tbh.

Also, Wellington's systems produce above-average women cricketers, as we've all seen. Ayn Rand and/or Cribb would probably suggest it's just a miserable government town with a miserable workaday culture of hand-outs and whinging; a complete dearth of male vigour and entrepreneurial spirit.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
First-round domestic contracts offered

Auckland Aces

Michael Barry
Mark Chapman
Lockie Ferguson
Donovan Grobbelaar
Michael Guptill-Bunce
Ben Horne
Matthew McEwan
Robert O'Donnell
Tarun Nethula
Aniket Parikh
Glenn Phillips
Raja Sandhu
Sean Solia

Canterbury

Todd Astle
Chad Bowes
Jack Boyle
Leo Carter
Andrew Ellis
Cameron Fletcher
Kyle Jamieson
Tim Johnston
Ken McClure
Cole McConchie
Edward Nuttall
Michael Pollard
Henry Shipley
Will Williams

Central Stags

Doug Bracewell
Tom Bruce
Josh Clarkson
Dane Cleaver
Greg Hay
Ryan McCone
Ajaz Patel
Seth Rance
Jesse Ryder
Ben Smith
Blair Tickner
Ben Wheeler
William Young

Northern Districts

Brent Arnel
James Baker
Dean Brownlie
Anton Devcich
Daniel Flynn
Zak Gibson
Brett Hampton
Nick Kelly
Scott Kuggeleijn
Daryl Mitchell
Bharat Popli
Brett Randell
Tim Seifert
Joe Walker

Otago Volts

Warren Barnes
Mark Craig
Derek De Boorder
Jacob Duffy
Josh Finnie
Shawn Hicks
Anaru Kitchen
Rob Nicol
Michael Rae
Hamish Rutherford
Nathan Smith
Christi Viljoen
Brad Wilson

Wellington Firebirds

Hamish Bennett
Tom Blundell
Michael Bracewell
Fraser Colson
Iain McPeake
Stephen Murdoch
Malcolm Nofal
Michael Papps
Jeetan Patel
Matt Taylor
Logan van Beek
Anurag Verma
Luke Woodcock
Peter Younghusband

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Fraser Colson is back - last I remember he was another early retiree, though on looking back he actually returned and played a few more FC matches last season and season before, I must have just missed it.

Malcolm Nofal another SA import who wants to emulate Grant Elliott.

Christi Viljoen lucky to get a contract I think.

Good to see Mark Craig has one for Otago - I was wondering if he was going to completely disappear after that injury.

Hoping for a big season from Bharat Popli after second album syndrome last season.

Had to look up Aniket Parikh, looks promising. Auckland's squad full of youth, a big change compared with a coupld of seasons ago.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
One notable I see who's seemingly not back for any more hayseeds and simpletons domestic cricket, that's Sam Wells.

Howsie

International Captain
Ha, apparently ND went after Kyle Jamieson hard this off season.

You could've had him two years ago with a contract offer but instead thought it would be a lot more beneficial to hand out contracts to the likes of Jono Boult and Tony Goodin. Clowns

Could've probably got a guy like Ben Sears this season with a contract offer but instead thought it would be more wise to keep Brett Hampton doing sweet **** all for another year. I swear the guys who hand out these contracts have no bloody clue how to run a team.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah Hampton still dining out on that 100 off 70 against Zimbabwe, probably. Really has done nothing else.

Saw Robbie Tallott bouncing guys out in Taupo and batting well, so he could vie for Hampton's contract in 2018/19. Tallott's lengths to prove a little too ambitiously short for when he gets to FC though, might need to find a stronger team than Poverty Bay as well.

That's all for a surprise guest hosting of ND's Future Stars Today. I leave it to Howsie or Albi to get me some video of Elliot Law, I'll then weigh in on him as well.

Flem274*

123/5
im trying to decide which contracted players the teams will never bother to play or put at 7 or 8 no matter their preffered role. there's always a few every year. jeet raval spent half his life at 7 early on for auckland, and it was harry boams career.

Slippaah

U19 12th Man
Possible sighting of near extinct NZ A Tour comprising amalgam of the centrally contracted ,other tourists to Ireland pre-CT, plus a couple more. When - soon. Destination - India.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Hmm Ross Taylor at least had the decency to raise his game when he felt scorned and betrayed, but Wellington cricket talent generally doesn't. No fire in the belly there at all tbh.

Also, Wellington's systems produce above-average women cricketers, as we've all seen. Ayn Rand and/or Cribb would probably suggest it's just a miserable government town with a miserable workaday culture of hand-outs and whinging; a complete dearth of male vigour and entrepreneurial spirit.
Speaking of Ayn Rand, I see Bhupinder Singh has picked up 4th spot on the ACT list :-)

4 – Bhupinder Singh – Manakau East

Bhupinder Singh, ACT's candidate for Manakau East, played professional cricket for the Auckland Aces from 2008-2013 and represented New Zealand A on their 2010 tour in Zimbabwe. He is currently head coach of the Papatoetoe Cricket Club. Bhupinder is also an executive at Ray White Real Estate
ACT Unveils Party List | Scoop News

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Rape (of cricket aesthetics) by glorious consent. He would've secured Nick Beard's and Andrew Ellis' votes, that's for sure.