• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2016/17

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
What's up with Josh Finnie?

Hit some good form at the end of the Ford Trophy. Missed out 2 weeks in a row in Plunket?

Must be injured? One for Smudge.
Google Josh Finnie and go to News -> https://www.odt.co.nz/sport/cricket/remodelled-duffy-back-business

Duffy’s return is timely for the team. Otago has had an unfortunate run with injuries this summer and allrounder Josh Finnie is the latest player to join the casualty list.

He broke a bone in his hand during the weekend while playing for Otago A in development match against Canterbury Country at the University Oval.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yikes 26/4 with Ralph grabbing two. Imagine the havoc that Boult and Anderson will wreak in next year's test.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
It was a very quiet first hour or do in all 3 games. 1 run per over stuff. Is it because of the pink kooka?

Duffy a very tight opening spell again, with his new action. 7 overs, 5 maidens.

But Kuggeleijn also bowled 5 maidens in his 6 over opening spell.

Blain

U19 Captain
*NZ Cricket Schedule Meeting*

"Hey, we have the most important Test Series of the Summer coming up,"
"Yeah.."
"Why don't we play a domestic pink ball match during the same period?"
"I didn't think we were playing a pink ball test against SA?"
"We're not."
"Perfect! Lock it in."

:huh:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member

"Yeah.."
"We're not."
"Perfect! Lock it in."

Not sure exactly what your point is? Is it that NZC should've scheduled a daynight test v SA rather than for domestics? If so, the response is that they couldn't because they needed to first test the usability of the pink ball in NZ conditions. They tried doing it last season at Seddon Park iirc, and the players couldn't pick up the ball, so it was agreed that we wouldn't host any daynight tests this year. They're now testing the newer batch of pink-balls on the 3 grounds with the best lighting facilities with an eye to hosting a test next season.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, and noone from the NZ test squad is playing this FC round anyway so it doesn't matter that the matches aren't using the red ball.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Duffy doing what we saw a bit of last week, where he pulls it down short and wide of an ideal channel, then overcompensates and slides one down leg. Woodcock leaving well, defending late and generally being Edgar's teacher's pet, Papps the more fortunate to survive of the two.

Duffy's closest two deliveries to getting a wicket in his first six overs -

https://nzcpooch.blob.core.windows.net/022f6636-8351-4a3e-a82d-fd49fd41369e/1_003_05.mp4

https://nzcpooch.blob.core.windows.net/022f6636-8351-4a3e-a82d-fd49fd41369e/1_009_03.mp4
That is a little disappointing - it's going to be a continual issue for him and one he's ultimately going to have to master himself rather than relying on coaches to manage it for him.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
The video from the venues as it turns dark.

Wellington ok, Hamilton almost pitch black. Eden Park probably visible if the camera dude would move his camera off Mt Eden.

Blain

U19 Captain
Not sure exactly what your point is? Is it that NZC should've scheduled a daynight test v SA rather than for domestics? If so, the response is that they couldn't because they needed to first test the usability of the pink ball in NZ conditions. They tried doing it last season at Seddon Park iirc, and the players couldn't pick up the ball, so it was agreed that we wouldn't host any daynight tests this year. They're now testing the newer batch of pink-balls on the 3 grounds with the best lighting facilities with an eye to hosting a test next season.
No problem having a pink ball round, all good. But having it during the South African test tour is odd, considering they aren't even having a day night test match. Players who may be in contention for the next game or 2, have been playing with a pink ball. It just seems bad timing. And un necessary.

vandem

International 12th Man
Interesting declaration by CD. Extra runs by the last pair are not as valuable as the chance to bowl a few more overs under lights.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Hard to tell how much it's swinging from the vids, but judging by the batsmen's movements and that Rance has 4/6, I'd say it's a lot!

jcas0167

International Debutant
Record 5th wicket partnership for Canterbury v Auckland of 183 between McClure and Ellis. Glenn Phillips bowling a couple of overs on debut. I'll be interested to see how Munro goes when Akl bat.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
That googly to get Young was a beaut. Seems like he's really got the hang of domestix. Now the question is whether he can take it to the next level.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

"Yeah.."
"We're not."
"Perfect! Lock it in."

I hear you, and in no way will you ever catch me defending the inept minds at NZC.

However, I imagine it's more of a trial of the grounds than the players. As it happens I don't think there's anyone at domestic level we'd want to be playing red ball given they may play this month.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting declaration by CD. Extra runs by the last pair are not as valuable as the chance to bowl a few more overs under lights.
I love this, it's what I expected pink ball cricket would bring to Test matches. Hasn't really happened yet (the Faf thing apart, which was more catching Warner on the hop than utilising swing) but hopefully does in the future.