• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ajit Agarkar

ReallyCrazy

Banned
I think he's one of the most over-rated players ever. He hadn't taken a single 5 wicket haul in 6 years of cricket before the tour to Australia where he got lucky. He's a worthless bowler and even if a guy like me who can't bat has to face him, I can smash him. I don't anybody else who's been given as many chances as Agarkar. I think he got somany chances only because he's from mumbai and gavaskar supports him so much. You have hear gavaskar comeentating when agarkar is playing. agarkar comes to the crease after a series of ducks in his previous matches and gavaskar refers to him as an all rounder who can certainly bat :rolleyes:

I'm really sad to read this post, i would have expected such a post from a jealous Pakistani but comming from an Indian is surprising, but then again we have democracy in India where people can speak their mind and also we have such such high standard in world cricket that even legends can be critisized.

If one wants to discredit somone then all you has to say is "he was lucky", but if cricket is all about luck then Ajit's past failure in Australia with bat must also be due to badluck!!!

Ajit bowled beautifully in Australia, a fact acknowledge by Ponting,Waugh,Ganguly and Tendulkar. He did what Akhter wasn't able to do for Pak, he won the match for India against Australia. Even in the series before the recent one Ajit fared better among all the Indian bowlers in Australia.

Ajit happnede to osses the fastest 50 wkt taker record in ODI.I guess thats luck too. Fair enough on his batting, he has not done justice with his batting talent, but he has played some innings that were all class.

And don't bring Mumbai and Gavaskar into it, they have nothing to do with Ajit's selection, as long as Ajit bowls well and Captain Ganguly has faith in him, he should be in Indian team!

masterblaster

International Captain
Oh no,

not this again.........

The AAAS enjoy Agarkar's excellence and are right behind him in his times of trouble.

We like him as a player and as a person. He has got some good following here, which originally started out as a joke but now after some good performances by Agarkar, the AAAS is a genuine 'Fan Club' based on Cricket Web.

The fastest bowler to 50 wickets in history of ODI's with over 155 ODI wickets at an average of 27 with a best bowling effort of 6/40 odd against Australia with a Strike Rate of 30 odd is NOT by any means useless.

Agarkar is talented as well as a decent player.

Thats all I'll say

ReallyCrazy

Banned
sorry man its nothing personal. Its just that Agarkar has not done much in his career to have been selected for so long. A lot of promising players over the years were not given the number of chances that agarkar was constantly given. So it just makes me wonder.

I am not saying he didn't bowl well in Australia. I thought he bowled very well. But he is very inconsistent. He is not a match winning bowler or a guy who you can depend on. He cannot contain the opposition batters at all, a fact proved by his very high econ rate of 5.11 and even tendulkar's got a lower econ rate. And yep you are right he did start his career with a bang...he was the fastest to 50 wickets and got it from only 24 matches. But after that his strike rate rose. And you can't really call him a strike bowler now. So I do wonder why he's had the opportunities to play so many games.

Gavaskar is a very influential person and I think that and the fact that Agarkar is from Mumbai should have been factors. Now I am not saying they were but it's a possibility. Gavaskar, when he's commentating, sometimes speaks of Agarkar as if he is the best cricket player ever.

Last edited:

V Reddy

International Debutant
ReallyCrazy said:
Gavaskar is a very influential person and I think that and the fact that Agarkar is from Mumbai should have been factors. Now I am not saying they were but it's a possibility. Gavaskar, when he's commentating, sometimes speaks of Agarkar as if he is the best cricket player ever.

So you haven't heard Ravi Shastri commentating then? :D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So do we :lol:

We've never claimed him to be anything more than he is - a good old-fashioned tryer who occasionally gets superb results.

All hail AA!

deeps

International 12th Man
ReallyCrazy said:
He's a worthless bowler and even if a guy like me who can't bat has to face him, I can smash him.
i seriously hope ur kidding! the fastest bowler i've ever faced was clocked at 140 kph... and it's amazing how quick he is...and the difference between 130 and 140 is HUGE! 130 is comfortable to play... 140 is very uneasy to play... and agarkar quiet often gets it 145+ and i guarantee if he bowled one over to u at that pace... u will be out almost 6 times, if u say u can't bat

he is over-rated imo, but he's not the worst bowler going around atm... and if the ball is swinging and seaming, he is deadly

harry674

School Boy/Girl Captain
ReallyCrazy said:
I think he's one of the most over-rated players ever. He hadn't taken a single 5 wicket haul in 6 years of cricket before the tour to Australia where he got lucky. He's a worthless bowler and even if a guy like me who can't bat has to face him, I can smash him. I don't anybody else who's been given as many chances as Agarkar. I think he got somany chances only because he's from mumbai and gavaskar supports him so much. You have hear gavaskar comeentating when agarkar is playing. agarkar comes to the crease after a series of ducks in his previous matches and gavaskar refers to him as an all rounder who can certainly bat :rolleyes:
well if S. Gavaskar is so influential why his own son not in the team.:P

actually i would loved to have player like Gavaskar(junior) or Robin Singh in team comparing to jokers like Kaif

did u by any chance saw the last match agarkar played he actually got india to repectable score and with style........ he might give few batting lessons to ganguly.

and btw india needs people agarkar and pathan who can bat in lower order.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
ReallyCrazy said:
At least we agree on one issue. The pathetic standards of Indian pace bowling allow him to settle in, without doing much, but I doubt if he would even fit into an English ODI side as a 'limited-overs all-rounder'.

imranrabb

U19 Debutant
AA is a load of crap.I dont know why everyone calls him an allrounder and compares him to imran khan.He got lucky in austalia.The onlyother team he'll get into is bangladesh:lol:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
imranrabb said:
I dont know why everyone calls him an allrounder and compares him to imran khan.
I don't know of anyone who does this seriously, because we all know it is a stupid thing to compare the 2.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Well That's the best we have. It's not his fault if India doesn't have better bowlers. I seriously dont consider any of the new lot (Zaheer, Nehra, Balaji, Salvi, Irfan, Munaf, Bhandari etc) better than him.

On his good day he ends up with 10 overs, 30-40 runs with 2-3wickets, on a bad day 10 overs 60-65 runs with with 2-3 wickets and on an average day he ends up with 10 overs 40-50 runs with 2-3 wickets and that is better than any of the current lot. I am really sick and tired of Zaheer, Irfan, Nehra bowling so many Wides & No Balls.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
imranrabb said:
AA is a load of crap.I dont know why everyone calls him an allrounder and compares him to imran khan.He got lucky in austalia.The onlyother team he'll get into is bangladesh
I think you have your own version on AA in Sami. Also, please tell us who compared AA to Imran.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Well That's the best we have. It's not his fault if India doesn't have better bowlers. I seriously dont consider any of the new lot (Zaheer, Nehra, Balaji, Salvi, Irfan, Munaf, Bhandari etc) better than him.
If that is the case, then they are definitely in trouble. Agarkar never was, never is, and never will be the answer to India's bowling problems- he does not look the part. At least Zaheer and Nehra win matches with their bowling- when they bowl well, the team plays well. Don't expect too much out of Salvi, Pathan and Balaji- they have not got as many chances as Agarkar, and they are all very new. Besides, Agarkar is not far better than any of them, but what matters is, whether he is better than McGrath, or Gillespie, or Lee- he isn't! The Indians need a world class bowler, not small change.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
Agarkar is a total waste. I think they should bring some new guy in for him like Bhandari. Ever since his debut, he has always been in the reckoning and I don't get why. He should be kicked out.

Mingster

State Regular
Let's put it this way:

If NZ were offered Agarkar for their Test attack, Bracewell would definitely say no. He's far too inconsistent in his bowling.

However for ODIs, we he might be a contender.