• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If...

Shady Slim

International Coach
so this is probably already a thing but here's one of those token threads where we muse what would the outcome would have been if x event didn't happen

eg what would have happened if kaspro didn't glove behind two runs short of victory, or what would have happened if marsh dropped kohli on the boundary at adelaide, etc

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Allan Donald didn't forget how to run in 1999 . . .

would South Africa still have been choking consistently for the past 2 decades?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think they would have won that WC but not sure if much else would have changed, except maybe holding off Australia's ODI domination by a few years... A good chance that Steve Waugh's legacy would have been a bit lesser too. Would they have made Ponting the ODI captain earlier?

TheJediBrah

I think they would have won that WC but not sure if much else would have changed, except maybe holding off Australia's ODI domination by a few years... A good chance that Steve Waugh's legacy would have been a bit lesser too. Would they have made Ponting the ODI captain earlier?
All very possible. It's the one single moment I can think of that could have potentially affected the future of 2 big nations.

I'm not saying that South Africa could have became the undisputed no.1 team through the 2000s instead of Australia but you never know

vcs

So we speculate on what would have happened if the massive game-deciding event had gone the other way.

Well, that's an easy one. The winning team would have lost and vice versa.

cnerd123

likes this
Would Franchise T20 be such a threat to the structure of International Cricket had Misbah Ul Haq not tried that silly little scoop sweep?

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Hard to see a semi-final loss in that '99 WC holding off Australia's domination unfortunately. By 2000, everything was just clicking for Australia. They had brought Martyn & Hayden back into the team. Gilchrist had become established as the #1 keeper & Langer was transitioning into a full-time opener. McGrath & Gillespie were now well into their great partnership. Ponting, Warne, Bevan & the Waughs were still as great as ever whilst new boy Brett Lee was making big waves. Not too mention the ridiculous amount of talent they had at Shield level.

The only real 'problem' they had was the impending retirement of the Waugh brothers. Had they lost the 99 WC semi, it is conceivable that their careers may have been shortened a year or so by the hand of the selectors.

As for Ponting's captaincy, it's hard to see him being made captain sooner than he was. They probably would have opted for Warne if anyone.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Would Franchise T20 be such a threat to the structure of International Cricket had Misbah Ul Haq not tried that silly little scoop sweep?
Franchise T20 would still have been around, IMO, except that the IPL is delayed and isn't necessarily the most lucrative league, Wonder Woman and Aquaman go to war, Thomas Wayne becomes the Batman, end of days etc. You didn't stop Hitler, you didn't stop JFK getting assassinated. No, you caused ripples in space time with your selfish changing of a silly cricket shot, and Misbah is the villain?

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
If X player got to play more or at all they would be the best batsman/bowler/allrounder of all time.

Daemon

If not for the Sydney '08 debacle, would the inevitable conceptualisation of DRS have been delayed?