• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

Gob

International Coach
Still remember the last Perth test match when Nufan decided to name the best visiting batsmen in Aust in recent years

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Not in anyway directed at you, DC, but I genuinely do wonder whether many posters here have played sport for any length of time. If you have, you surely know how nicknames stick.
Genuine question - Would Michael Clarke still have been called Pup towards the end of his career? It was fine when he was a youngun making his way in the side, but not really appropriate for the captain and elder statesman is it?

Again if you Aussie want to have such strict rules and codes surrounding nicknames you really need to put more thought into them before handing them out.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Genuine question - Would Michael Clarke still have been called Pup towards the end of his career? It was fine when he was a youngun making his way in the side, but not really appropriate for the captain and elder statesman is it?

Again if you Aussie want to have such strict rules and codes surrounding nicknames you really need to put more thought into them before handing them out.
He always was and still is Pup. Whether the nickname is still suitable is irrelevant.

Burgey

Oh **** yes. He'd have had that the whole time. Unless he disgraced himself in a humorous manner to warrant another name, he keeps it. Example: mate of mine who was a young fast bowler came into the side years ago at start of a season when I was captain. After four overs he looked across at me and went "Tube, no more". I said "What do you mean?" He says "I'm ****ed". I said "It's ****ing A grade Princess. You don't bowl four overs and say no more". So he became Princess. Until, a few years later he ran after a ball really slowly across a sandy outfield and looked like a character out of Baywatch, so he became forever after "Hoff".

If Clarke had debuted at 30 he'd never have had the Pup nickname

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
He always was and still is Pup. Whether the nickname is still suitable is irrelevant.
Whatever. It fits for Warnie or Ponting to call him Pup when he came into the side in his early 20's. But how does say a young Mitch Marsh walk into the dressing room for the first time and start calling his captain and a bloke 10 years (?) his senior "Pup"??

It's just wrong.

Burgey

How does it work for a young bloke coming into the England dressing room at age 20 to call Flintoff "Freddie" instead of "Senior player with alcohol and self-discipline issues"?

What will happen is a bloke will come into the side and introduce himself and the senior players will introduce themselves then say "call me [insert nickname]"

TheJediBrah

Whatever. It fits for Warnie or Ponting to call him Pup when he came into the side in his early 20's. But how does say a young Mitch Marsh walk into the dressing room for the first time and start calling his captain and a bloke 10 years (?) his senior "Pup"??

It's just wrong.
You're entitled to your opinion but I have to say it's a bizarre thing to have an issue with lmao

Daemon

How does it work for a young bloke coming into the England dressing room at age 20 to call Flintoff "Freddie" instead of "Senior player with alcohol and self-discipline issues"?

What will happen is a bloke will come into the side and introduce himself and the senior players will introduce themselves then say "call me [insert nickname]"
Unless you're Brett Geeves, in which case no one gives two ****s about introductions

Shady Slim

International Coach
i see where adders is coming from a little in that when people have established nicknames i think it'd be a bit weird

like if you introduce yourself to someone new in a grade team it's easy to say "hey there i'm reg but everyone calls me grundy" but in an international team where even the public knows the players nicknames already it'd be a bit more difficult

"hey there i'm michael but everyone calls me pup"
"uh, yeah... i know..."

TheJediBrah

i see where adders is coming from a little in that when people have established nicknames i think it'd be a bit weird

like if you introduce yourself to someone new in a grade team it's easy to say "hey there i'm reg but everyone calls me grundy" but in an international team where even the public knows the players nicknames already it'd be a bit more difficult

"hey there i'm michael but everyone calls me pup"
"uh, yeah... i know..."
Lol can you imagine a young player coming in for first game going up to his captain and calling him "pup"?

You'd have to be pretty confident in yourself

Spark

Global Moderator
Wasn't it the senior players back in 2003-4 who gave Clarke the "Pup" nickname in the first place?

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
Australia has a toothless bowling attack now Johnson is no more. These SA batsman face Steyn over the nets, and Starc is no Steyn at Test level, and shouldn't be a problem for them. Hazlewood doesn't have the pace to trouble them at all. Philander (similar) is a much better bowler than him.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
Umpire Appointments:
1st test: Dar/Llong, TV - Kettleborough
2nd test: Kettleborough/Dar, TV - Llong
3rd test: Kettleborough/Llong, TV - Dar

Bijed

International Regular
Australia has a toothless bowling attack now Johnson is no more. These SA batsman face Steyn over the nets, and Starc is no Steyn at Test level, and shouldn't be a problem for them. Hazlewood doesn't have the pace to trouble them at all. Philander (similar) is a much better bowler than him.
If he performs like he did on the Aus tour of Sri Lanka, he'll certainly be a problem for them. I guess conditions may not allow for this?

TheJediBrah

you should post more often

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Loving this from Steyn,

The moment you can get hold of your captain, the rest of the players rely heavily on him. He (Smith) leads the ship so when you pull the plug on that kind of ship, and he's holding it, you can sink it. It's not very easy but there's a way to sink it - Dale Steyn