• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in Sri Lanka 2016

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Head off to SL for the ODIs, but linking up with them now, ahead of the Test. But Lehmann says he's totally definitely not playing this week lolno why would you even think that *coughAgarcough*.

Which seems about the dumbest thing possible: get him running drinks in SL when he could be playing a few more games for Yorks before running drinks in SL.

I'd go this XI, basically for the lols:

1. Warner
2. SMarsh
3. Smith
4. Voges
5. Head
6. Henriques
7. MMarsh
8. Nevill
9. Starc
10. Hazlewood
11. Lyon

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Head off to SL for the ODIs, but linking up with them now, ahead of the Test. But Lehmann says he's totally definitely not playing this week lolno why would you even think that *coughAgarcough*.

Which seems about the dumbest thing possible: get him running drinks in SL when he could be playing a few more games for Yorks before running drinks in SL.

I'd go this XI, basically for the lols:

1. Warner
2. SMarsh
3. Smith
4. Voges
5. Head
6. Henriques
7. MMarsh
8. Nevill
9. Starc
10. Hazlewood
11. Lyon
When i first read this ithought: wow Dan is keen heading over to SL just for the ODI portion of the tour.

viriya

International Captain
Kusal's 176 ticked a lot of the boxes of an ATG innings:

- 50% of team runs
- 3rd innings while team is behind then comeback for a win
- vs above average bowling attack
- vs #1 rated team
- coming into bat at 6/2
- no solid support (no other teammate with even a 50)

cricrate has it at #9 all-time:
cricrate | Performance Ratings - Test Batting

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Kusal's 176 ticked a lot of the boxes of an ATG innings:

- 50% of team runs
- 3rd innings while team is behind then comeback for a win
- vs above average bowling attack
- vs #1 rated team
- coming into bat at 6/2
- no solid support (no other teammate with even a 50)

cricrate has it at #9 all-time:
cricrate | Performance Ratings - Test Batting
Years down the line, when Mendis makes his way to a comparison thread on Cricket Chat, an esteemed CW member arguing against Mendis will dismiss that knock with 'it was against Lyon and Holland on a flat pitch'

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Handscomb tonning up for Australia A was interesting. I think he's a top player of spin relative to his overall batsmanship but I just worry about whether he's got a good enough all round game. I would've strongly considered bringing him on this tour; I wonder if the selectors are wishing they had about now.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Maybe but one good player of spin wouldn't have made a difference. When Australia won in '04, it wasn't just because they kept Murali out, they also made the other spinners a non-event (Herath included). This time 'round, the Aussies haven't been able to even keep out any of the SL spinners. Just been too good.

91Jmay

International Coach
**** like this from Rowdy doesn't help. First red flag is describing either of the decks in the series so far as turners, makes me wonder whether he's even seen any of it.

Ashley Mallett: What Australia must do to tackle the Sri Lankan spinners | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Clearly the only problem with the Aussie approach is that they haven't been doing their things hard enough. More intent, fellas.
Also odd to claim sweeping is some kind of **** player of spin tactic. Younis and Misbah do it all game and they are as good as you get playing spin. Kusal also swept loads during his ton.

Top_Cat

Sweeping shows a lack of intent, tbh. Use your feet, long strides, smash the ****s. That's the Aussie way.

morgieb

Also odd to claim sweeping is some kind of **** player of spin tactic. Younis and Misbah do it all game and they are as good as you get playing spin. Kusal also swept loads during his ton.
And let's not forget how arguably Australia's best player of spin in the last 20 years dominanted in the subcontinent. Heck even Border/BJ were arguing Australia should be sweeping more in the Second Test IIRC.