Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: ODI GOAT at cricket.com.au

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Lee's almost a certainty for top 5. If you can name 20 better ODI bowlers then has off to you.
    You're right here. He's a very underrated ODI bowler. I'd choose McGrath, Garner, Wasim and Donald ahead of him but he's definitely top 5. Personal preference might see me include Ambrose ahead of him but it's a lot harder to argue he's not top five than to argue he is top five.
    Quote Originally Posted by Test_Fan_Only View Post
    Red Hill is a piece of ****

Dan
    Watson said he was top 20 material, but not definitive top 5. Never gave a 'quicks only' condition, but let's assume that was there.

19 pretty good ODI fast bowlers:
    In something vaguely resembling order:
    1. Joel Garner
    2. Wasim Akram
    3. Glenn McGrath
    4. Shane Bond
    5. Shaun Pollock
    6. Waqar Younis
    7. Allan Donald
    8. Curtly Ambrose
    9. Michael Holding
    10. Mitchell Starc
    11. Richard Hadlee
    12. Andy Roberts
    13. Dennis Lillee
    14. Chaminda Vaas
    15. Nathan Bracken
    16. Mitchell Johnson
    17. Andrew Flintoff
    18. Malcolm Marshall
    19. Kapil Dev

Where does Lee slot into that? I reckon he slots somewhere between ~5 and ~13, personally. Not definitively better than any in that range (i.e. you could make arguments either way), but definitely a class above Vaas onwards in ODIs (that being said, I have no real idea how to rate DK in ODIs). Also worthwhile noting that Vaas onwards would be the guys to drop out of the list entirely if we included spinners (Warne, Murali, Vettori, Saqlain + 2 of Hogg/Swann/Ajmal probably cracking in there)

So I reckon watson's claim that he's Top 20 is pretty fair; he's definitely in that group, but somewhat fits into the ATG-but-not-GOAT-contender range. I don't think he's a clear-cut Top 5 though.
    Mind the Windows, Tino!

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Honestly if Dan isn't the greatest living creature on Earth, he is only second behind Luggage.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I'm the worst poster on this forum, end of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Langer
    Compete with us | Smile with us | Fight on with us | Dream with us

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Watson said he was top 20 material, but not definitive top 5. Never gave a 'quicks only' condition, but let's assume that was there.

1. Joel Garner
    2. Wasim Akram
    3. Glenn McGrath
    4. Shane Bond
    5. Shaun Pollock
    6. Waqar Younis
    7. Allan Donald
    8. Curtly Ambrose
    9. Michael Holding
    10. Mitchell Starc
    11. Richard Hadlee
    12. Andy Roberts
    13. Dennis Lillee
    14. Chaminda Vaas
    15. Nathan Bracken
    16. Mitchell Johnson
    17. Andrew Flintoff
    18. Malcolm Marshall
    19. Kapil Dev

Where does Lee slot into that? I reckon he slots somewhere between ~5 and ~13, personally. Not definitively better than any in that range (i.e. you could make arguments either way), but definitely a class above Vaas onwards in ODIs (that being said, I have no real idea how to rate DK in ODIs). Also worthwhile noting that Vaas onwards would be the guys to drop out of the list entirely if we included spinners (Warne, Murali, Vettori, Saqlain + 2 of Hogg/Swann/Ajmal probably cracking in there)

So I reckon watson's claim that he's Top 20 is pretty fair; he's definitely in that group, but somewhat fits into the ATG-but-not-GOAT-contender range. I don't think he's a clear-cut Top 5 though.
    You are overrating bowlers of the 70s and 80s because of their Test reputations and the fact that it was much easier to have a good bowling record then.
    cricrate - follow twitter and facebook for updates

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by viriya View Post
    You are overrating bowlers of the 70s and 80s because of their Test reputations and the fact that it was much easier to have a good bowling record then.
    I think there's some truth to this and sometimes it's easy to also underestimate great (GOAT) ODI players who were perhaps not as successful in tests. Brett Lee and Shane Watson come to mind for Australia in particular. Very top echelon ODI players in their respective roles but not near GOAT in tests.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    I don't think Brett Lee is the GOAT, and I don't have him in my ATG ODI team, but I struggle to see why he isn't top 5.

FWIW I agree absolutely with your top 3, (Garner, McGrath and Wasim). Garner for his ridiculous un-hittablilty, McGrath for just consistent brilliance. How many times did I miss the first 20 overs of an ODI and come in and see McGrath with ridic figures like 8-4-2-14? Wasim for his old ball skills and economy. After that I think you could mount a case that Lee was as good as, or better than most of the other bowlers you've listed (Bond is an interesting one, such a shame…)

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    And you are solely looking at stats...
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Banned
    Great players are always compared to their peers. This anyone can easily do with some help from Statsguru.

Michael Holding
    Average = 21.56
    Economy Rate = 3.32
    Average x ER = 71.58

Overall Peer Average = 29.48
    Overall Peer Economy Rate = 3.99
    Average x ER = 117.63

Peers (117.63) / Holding (71.58) = 1.64
    Peers to Holding Ratio = 1.64

Brett Lee
    Average = 22.89
    Economy Rate = 4.70
    Average x ER = 107.58

Overall Peer Average = 32.31
    Overall Peer Economy Rate = 4.79
    Average x ER = 154.76

Peers (154.76) / Lee (107.58) = 1.44
    Peers to Lee Ratio = 1.44

Lee (1.44) / Holding (1.64) = 0.88

Therefore, Holding is better/more effective than Lee by a factor of 0.12.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine...ry/541322.html
    Last edited by watson; 24-04-2016 at 01:32 AM.

Banned
    If you same sort of calculations are applied to Joel Garner then his ratio comes out at 2.03. So basically Garner was twice as good/effective as other ODI bowlers from his era.

The next closest to Garner are McGrath and Hadlee who both score 1.76.
    Last edited by watson; 24-04-2016 at 01:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Great players are always compared to their peers. This anyone can easily do with some help from Statsguru.

Michael Holding
    Average = 21.56
    Economy Rate = 3.32
    Average x ER = 71.58

Overall Peer Average = 29.48
    Overall Peer Economy Rate = 3.99
    Average x ER = 117.63

Peers (117.63) / Holding (71.58) = 1.64
    Peers to Holding Ratio = 1.64

Brett Lee
    Average = 22.89
    Economy Rate = 4.70
    Average x ER = 107.58

Overall Peer Average = 32.31
    Overall Peer Economy Rate = 4.79
    Average x ER = 154.76

Peers (154.76) / Lee (107.58) = 1.44
    Peers to Lee Ratio = 1.44

Lee (1.44) / Holding (1.64) = 0.88

Therefore, Holding is better/more effective than Lee by a factor of 0.12.

Stats from the Past: The best ODI bowlers from across eras | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo
    He also played almost twice the matches. I realize Holding played during a time when ODIs weren't as popular, but maintaining that over 100 matches is easier than 200 matches - especially for a fast bowler.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    He also played almost twice the matches. I realize Holding played during a time when ODIs weren't as popular, but maintaining that over 100 matches is easier than 200 matches - especially for a fast bowler.

That makes no sense.. By your logic, the only greats will only be from that one era when ODIs exploded.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

International Coach TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Obviously. I'm sure he's not saying that those statistics are definitive proof of anything. And even if they were, solely judging by comparison to peers isn't necessarily the definitive way to judge how good a player is. That would assume that all eras and all times had exactly equal average skill levels of players.

However, comparison to peers is still relevant as it helps to take into account changes in the way the game was played in different eras.

Regardless, I don't think anyone is saying that any of these stats are definitive proof of anything. So I wouldn't get worked up either way.

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    That makes no sense.. By your logic, the only greats will only be from that one era when ODIs exploded.
    nothing he said shows logic to suggest that, or even implies this at all.

All he did was make an observation, and state an obvious fact. He didn't say Holding wasn't great. He didn't even say Holding wasn't as good as Lee. No idea where you got the idea that anyone is suggesting a player can't be great whether they played 400 ODIs or 40.

Weird post man
    Last edited by TheJediBrah; 24-04-2016 at 02:19 AM.

I can't believe I ate the whole thing NZTailender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan;3660246
    [B
    [/B]In something vaguely resembling order:
    1. Joel Garner
    2. Wasim Akram
    3. Glenn McGrath
    4. Shane Bond
    5. Shaun Pollock
    6. Waqar Younis
    7. Allan Donald
    8. Curtly Ambrose
    9. Michael Holding
    10. Mitchell Starc
    11. Richard Hadlee
    12. Andy Roberts
    13. Dennis Lillee
    14. Chaminda Vaas
    15. Nathan Bracken
    16. Mitchell Johnson
    17. Andrew Flintoff
    18. Malcolm Marshall
    19. Kapil Dev
    What do the highlighted have in common with Brett Lee that the others don't?
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

I was going to say a single syllable last name but then I saw Vaas & Dev

Cricketer Of The Year AndyZaltzHair's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post

1. Joel Garner
    2. Wasim Akram
    3. Glenn McGrath
    4. Shane Bond
    5. Shaun Pollock
    6. Waqar Younis
    7. Allan Donald
    8. Curtly Ambrose
    9. Michael Holding
    10. Mitchell Starc
    11. Richard Hadlee
    12. Andy Roberts
    13. Dennis Lillee
    14. Chaminda Vaas
    15. Nathan Bracken
    16. Mitchell Johnson
    17. Andrew Flintoff
    18. Malcolm Marshall
    19. Kapil Dev

No idea how could you leave the original GOAT Agarkar
    Dan likes this.
    Originally Spoken by Brendon McCullum
    You have got to earn the right to be aggressive.
    Supporting XI
    Soumya Sarkar, Liton Das, Pinak Ghosh, Mominul Haque, Mosaddek Hossain, Nazmul Shanto, Shabbir, Nurul Hasan, Afif, Saifuddin, Mehedi Miraz, Abu Hider, Taskin Ahmed, Shoriful Islam, Mustafizur Rahman

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar

All he did was make an observation, and state an obvious fact. He didn't say Holding wasn't great. He didn't even say Holding wasn't as good as Lee. No idea where you got the idea that anyone is suggesting a player can't be great whether they played 400 ODIs or 40.

Weird post man

I understand you are the king of weird posts here but it is pretty obvious viriya seems to think the number of games determine how great a performer is and it is pretty unfair given it is a function of how many games were actually the norm at that time period.

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    I understand you are the king of weird posts here but it is pretty obvious viriya seems to think the number of games determine how great a performer is and it is pretty unfair given it is a function of how many games were actually the norm at that time period.
    Uh, no it's not, at all. Here:

Weird post man
    You're inferring something that was never even implied. It's a simple fact that it's harder to maintain an outstanding record over a longer period of time.

That's all that viriya said.

You shouldn't put words in people's mouths just so you can disagree with them. It's really weird and you do it all the time.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information