• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Promoting bowlers up the batting order

glosfan94

Cricket Spectator
Just wondering what your thoughts on this are, particularly in twenty20 cricket. We seen Mumbai Indians promote Mitchell McClenaghan the other night, should this tactic be used by other teams, and when should it be used?

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sure

If there's a batsman ahead of them who is horrendously out of form.

glosfan94

Cricket Spectator
Sure

If there's a batsman ahead of them who is horrendously out of form.
Yes but for a start surely if you back your bowlers to score more runs then this batsman shouldn's be playing, and in the case of McClenaghan with Buttler next in that's hardly true...

I think it's quite a useful tactic against spinners, spinners can be hit for 6 by just swinging and this can get you a lot of runs in a short space of time onto the total. However you don't want your recognised batsmen doing this because of the high risk of getting out, so if you have a bowler who has a good eye then when the spinners come on in the middle overs I think it's worth it, if he gets out than you don't lose anything and as long as he's swinging there should be very few dot balls eaten up. This would also disrupt the oppositions tactics in the middle overs who are looking to bowl their spinners and expect you to push the runs around.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Just wondering what your thoughts on this are, particularly in twenty20 cricket. We seen Mumbai Indians promote Mitchell McClenaghan the other night, should this tactic be used by other teams, and when should it be used?
T20 teams have been promoting Steve Smith up the order, and as we can see it doesn't work.

Shady Slim

International Coach
really depends on team makeup

john hastings for example is probably a better finisher than say peter nevill

but by the same token you aren't promoting rangana herath above dinesh chandimal

so yeah it's heavily dependent on the troops

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If you want quick runs, always chuck Russell/Sammy/Braithwaite /Holder above Denish ****ing Ramdin

Basically bat Ramdin @ 10

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah obviously it can be useful if the bowler can hit, but the last thing you want is some hack swinging, missing & mist-timing his way to 6 (12) when you need quick runs

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Think it depends on the bowler tbh. Big, strong guys like McClenaghan, Holder, Southee, Mills, Hastings, hell even Steve Finn can hit a long ball if they really want to. Don't think that the sort of bowler that relies on finesse over strength should go up the order.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I was always keen to see Mitch Johnson up the order in LO cricket. Hit the ball cleanly and big

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
History shows it hasn't been a tactic that works very often at all.

Flem will tell you I'm as sycophantic a fan of Mitch as there is, but it bemused me when he walked out...and even more so that a guy with Ponting's cricket brain made it. I didn't have him down as a gambler. There was enough firepower in Mumbai's line up to get it done. I found it really weird.

If it's a guy like Johnson who has a Test century, or even Southee, can be a consistent clean striker...I can understand. But I just couldn't see why Mitch went up, he's not a guy who bats a lot. He scored runs and it got them a certain momentum, so they'll feel like it was justified. And shoulda woulda couldas, but he should've been out on 6.

Kiwi fans will know it can never top John Bracewell promoting Kyle Mills to #3 on a sporting Test wicket in SA v a top of his game Steyn and co.

Shady Slim

International Coach
History shows it hasn't been a tactic that works very often at all.

Flem will tell you I'm as sycophantic a fan of Mitch as there is, but it bemused me when he walked out...and even more so that a guy with Ponting's cricket brain made it. I didn't have him down as a gambler. There was enough firepower in Mumbai's line up to get it done. I found it really weird.

If it's a guy like Johnson who has a Test century, or even Southee, can be a consistent clean striker...I can understand. But I just couldn't see why Mitch went up, he's not a guy who bats a lot. He scored runs and it got them a certain momentum, so they'll feel like it was justified. And shoulda woulda couldas, but he should've been out on 6.

Kiwi fans will know it can never top John Bracewell promoting Kyle Mills to #3 on a sporting Test wicket in SA v a top of his game Steyn and co.
his nickname is punter ffs