• 1 Post By Dan
  • 1 Post By kiwiviktor81
  • 1 Post By Red Hill
  • 6 Post By Shady Slim
  • 1 Post By SteveNZ

Thread: Promoting bowlers up the batting order

Cricket Spectator

Promoting bowlers up the batting order

Just wondering what your thoughts on this are, particularly in twenty20 cricket. We seen Mumbai Indians promote Mitchell McClenaghan the other night, should this tactic be used by other teams, and when should it be used?

Sure

If there's a batsman ahead of them who is horrendously out of form.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    i like many come to cw to briefly escape the pain of mediocre and obscure existence by being mediocre and obscure on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by fruitycreeper View Post
    been speakin to this lass for a while finally got her round muy house. whakcd on netflix and told her to pick a film. big mistake cos she picked ****in footlose. 2 hours of torture and she dint even blow me. shambles. safe to say we arent talkin no more

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnske View Post
    Sure

If there's a batsman ahead of them who is horrendously out of form.
    Yes but for a start surely if you back your bowlers to score more runs then this batsman shouldn's be playing, and in the case of McClenaghan with Buttler next in that's hardly true...

I think it's quite a useful tactic against spinners, spinners can be hit for 6 by just swinging and this can get you a lot of runs in a short space of time onto the total. However you don't want your recognised batsmen doing this because of the high risk of getting out, so if you have a bowler who has a good eye then when the spinners come on in the middle overs I think it's worth it, if he gets out than you don't lose anything and as long as he's swinging there should be very few dot balls eaten up. This would also disrupt the oppositions tactics in the middle overs who are looking to bowl their spinners and expect you to push the runs around.

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    SL's been doing this with Perera with reasonable success

Quote Originally Posted by glosfan94 View Post
    Just wondering what your thoughts on this are, particularly in twenty20 cricket. We seen Mumbai Indians promote Mitchell McClenaghan the other night, should this tactic be used by other teams, and when should it be used?
    T20 teams have been promoting Steve Smith up the order, and as we can see it doesn't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

'You will look very silly said Mr Salteena with a dry laugh.
    Well so will you said Ethel in a snappy tone and she ran out of the room with a very superier run throwing out her legs behind and her arms swinging in rithum.
    Well said the owner of the house she has a most idiotick run.'

International Debutant Shady Slim's Avatar
    really depends on team makeup

john hastings for example is probably a better finisher than say peter nevill

but by the same token you aren't promoting rangana herath above dinesh chandimal

so yeah it's heavily dependent on the troops
    Shady's XI:
    M Vijay || A Ali || CA Pujara || KS Williamson || LD Chandimal (wk) || F du Plessis || JO Holder || MM Ali || PJ Cummins || RA Jadeja || VD Philander ||

#FeelTheVern

If you want quick runs, always chuck Russell/Sammy/Braithwaite /Holder above Denish ****ing Ramdin

Basically bat Ramdin @ 10
    Shady Slim likes this.
    cricket rules brah

International Coach TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Yeah obviously it can be useful if the bowler can hit, but the last thing you want is some hack swinging, missing & mist-timing his way to 6 (12) when you need quick runs

Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    SL's been doing this with Perera with reasonable success
    Bit generous to call Perera a bowler, tbh
    Daemon likes this.
    Mind the Windows, Tino!

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Honestly if Dan isn't the greatest living creature on Earth, he is only second behind Luggage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Test_Fan_Only View Post
    Prince EWS you are a ****ing piece of ****, I hope you die soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Langer
    Compete with us | Smile with us | Fight on with us | Dream with us

International Debutant kiwiviktor81's Avatar
    Think it depends on the bowler tbh. Big, strong guys like McClenaghan, Holder, Southee, Mills, Hastings, hell even Steve Finn can hit a long ball if they really want to. Don't think that the sort of bowler that relies on finesse over strength should go up the order.

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    I was always keen to see Mitch Johnson up the order in LO cricket. Hit the ball cleanly and big
    Shady Slim likes this.
    [SIZE=1]
    Quote Originally Posted by Test_Fan_Only View Post
    Red Hill is a piece of ****

International Vice-Captain
    History shows it hasn't been a tactic that works very often at all.

Flem will tell you I'm as sycophantic a fan of Mitch as there is, but it bemused me when he walked out...and even more so that a guy with Ponting's cricket brain made it. I didn't have him down as a gambler. There was enough firepower in Mumbai's line up to get it done. I found it really weird.

If it's a guy like Johnson who has a Test century, or even Southee, can be a consistent clean striker...I can understand. But I just couldn't see why Mitch went up, he's not a guy who bats a lot. He scored runs and it got them a certain momentum, so they'll feel like it was justified. And shoulda woulda couldas, but he should've been out on 6.

Kiwi fans will know it can never top John Bracewell promoting Kyle Mills to #3 on a sporting Test wicket in SA v a top of his game Steyn and co.

International Debutant Shady Slim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNZ View Post
    History shows it hasn't been a tactic that works very often at all.

Flem will tell you I'm as sycophantic a fan of Mitch as there is, but it bemused me when he walked out...and even more so that a guy with Ponting's cricket brain made it. I didn't have him down as a gambler. There was enough firepower in Mumbai's line up to get it done. I found it really weird.

If it's a guy like Johnson who has a Test century, or even Southee, can be a consistent clean striker...I can understand. But I just couldn't see why Mitch went up, he's not a guy who bats a lot. He scored runs and it got them a certain momentum, so they'll feel like it was justified. And shoulda woulda couldas, but he should've been out on 6.

Kiwi fans will know it can never top John Bracewell promoting Kyle Mills to #3 on a sporting Test wicket in SA v a top of his game Steyn and co.
    his nickname is punter ffs

International Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Shady Slim View Post
    his nickname is punter ffs
    Haha, touche.

I meant a gambler in the sense of making wild tactical manuoevers without sound reasoning behind them. I'd think he'd be an informed punter.
    Shady Slim likes this.

Thread Information