• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Name an overrated and an underrated cricketer

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
A lot of people mentioning Smith as overrated in the thread. His game is so good, I think his legend will only grow in years to come. I haven't seen a player like him. There was Lara and there is Smith. I hope he goes on to fulfill his potential through his career. His run making isn't a fluke.

Rohit Sharma is overrated by many, yes. I can't believe how highly he is regarded by some Indian fans.

Kohli is a terrific ODI and T20 player but he has some off stump issues to sort at test level. So when people put him beside Smith, Williamson and Root right now, that's overating him.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Underrated-Vaughan
In what way? Bloke was absolutely poop in limited overs cricket, and averaged low 40s in tests. Was a player of great innings, but not a great player.

Good captain though, but everyone rates him as captain so he's not underrated at that.

His ****ness is also not underrated, everyone knows he's a massive massive dickhead. The worst English supporter after GIMP.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Flintoff's peak bowling was as good as anyone I've seen. There was a lot of tripe as well. His batting was the same. Underachieved, should've averaged 40+ with the bat and sub 25 with the ball.

Gob

International Coach
A lot of people mentioning Smith as overrated in the thread. His game is so good, I think his legend will only grow in years to come. I haven't seen a player like him. There was Lara and there is Smith. I hope he goes on to fulfill his potential through his career. His run making isn't a fluke.

Rohit Sharma is overrated by many, yes. I can't believe how highly he is regarded by some Indian fans.

Kohli is a terrific ODI and T20 player but he has some off stump issues to sort at test level. So when people put him beside Smith, Williamson and Root right now, that's overating him.
Two people aren't a lot of people tbf. If anything he is underrated. If Kohli or Williamson had numbers anywhere near as good as Smith's, people would be shouting from roof tops calling them the best after Bradman

Gob

International Coach
In what way? Bloke was absolutely poop in limited overs cricket, and averaged low 40s in tests. Was a player of great innings, but not a great player.

Good captain though, but everyone rates him as captain so he's not underrated at that.

His ****ness is also not underrated, everyone knows he's a massive massive dickhead. The worst English supporter after GIMP.
You have to see the bigger picture brah

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Two people aren't a lot of people tbf. If anything he is underrated. If Kohli or Williamson had numbers anywhere near as good as Smith's, people would be shouting from roof tops calling them the best after Bradman
Well Smith has you shouting from the rooftops and that easily drowns out any dissenters.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Most of the difference is that Smith's limited overs game is so mediocre. If all you care about is Tests then Smith looks better than he is.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Most of the difference is that Smith's limited overs game is so mediocre. If all you care about is Tests then Smith looks better than he is.
Smith has played a few top class ODI innings already. I used to be a Smith hater but he converted me before he reached the heights he has now, with a few of his LO knocks btw. Hard to pick between Williamson and Smith for me at this stage. I really wish better pitches were prepared in Australia this summer, Boult Vs Smith would have been fun on seamers.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Overrated: Mitchell Johnson
Underrated: Herbert Sutcliffe
I'd disagree there, he's still seen as a hot and cold bowler. I'd say at his best he's the best intimidator I've seen bowl in the past 10 years. At his worst he's ineffective as a top class bowler. I think that how MJ is seen.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Smith the ODI batsman is just fine..maybe not as good as the Test batsman but still pretty good.

Smith the T20 batsman is a different story though..kind of like the Australian team in general.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

What about Sledger?

Gob

International Coach
Well Smith has you shouting from the rooftops and that easily drowns out any dissenters.
thanks for this amazing input

cannot give a fudge about LO cricket but boy if an average of 40 is mediocre

Smith has played a few top class ODI innings already. I used to be a Smith hater but he converted me before he reached the heights he has now, with a few of his LO knocks btw. Hard to pick between Williamson and Smith for me at this stage. I really wish better pitches were prepared in Australia this summer, Boult Vs Smith would have been fun on seamers.
Smith easily the better test bat

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lots of players are overrated for a time, but reality always gets 'em in the end

As for underrated I think there is one outstanding candidate who I don't believe has been mentioned, and that is Neil Harvey

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Lots of players are overrated for a time, but reality always gets 'em in the end

As for underrated I think there is one outstanding candidate who I don't believe has been mentioned, and that is Neil Harvey
Kinda reminds me of Viv in regards to his career trajectory, both faded with age, though Viv played longer and faded at an older age.