• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Name an overrated and an underrated cricketer

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Overrated: Malcolm Matshall (I seem to get the feeling he's talked of as a separate entity from the amazing bowling unit they had) Where he was on average probably the best, he was not so far better than the whole IMO
Underrated: Clive Lloyd's batting

Overrated: Sachin
Underrated: Dravid

Overrated: People I've seen play
Underrated: People I haven't seen play

smash84

The Tiger King
Overrated: Malcolm Matshall (I seem to get the feeling he's talked of as a separate entity from the amazing bowling unit they had) Where he was on average probably the best, he was not so far better than the whole IMO
Underrated: Clive Lloyd's batting

Overrated: Sachin
Underrated: Dravid

Overrated: People I've seen play
Underrated: People I haven't seen play
Quite agree

Chrish

International Debutant
Overrated: Sachin, Bradman, Viv, Marshall and Imran.. I find all of them to be overrated by their hardcore fanbase.

Underrated: Kallis and Sanga

Chrish

International Debutant
how is Bradman overrated?
When people consider ponting equivalent of McCabe implying Bradman was twice the batsman ponting was, I consider it to be pretty overrated

When someone comes up with hogwash like viv is closer to chrish Martin than Bradman that's also pretty overrated

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
When people consider ponting equivalent of McCabe implying Bradman was twice the batsman ponting was, I consider it to be pretty overrated

When someone comes up with hogwash like viv is closer to chrish Martin than Bradman that's also pretty overrated
I am not aware of any batsman named Chrish Martin :p

But the difference in average is there as a statistical fact you can confirm between averages of chris martin and viv and viv and bradman.

I think our esteemed member Fredfertang put it quite nicely. While Bradman may not be twice as good as Viv, but he was twice as effective

Chrish

International Debutant
I am not aware of any batsman named Chrish Martin :p

But the difference in average is there as a statistical fact you can confirm between averages of chris martin and viv and viv and bradman.

I think our esteemed member Fredfertang put it quite nicely. While Bradman may not be twice as good as Viv, but he was twice as effective
I can agree with twice effective part in determining the end result for his team.. But I can't agree he was twice as good or anywhere near it for that matter

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
It really is meaningless though when there is a correlation btwn stats and quality. The averages are what they say and you can determine how superior one player is to another by dividing their average by the other. It's not a contradiction to say that a player of an inferior ave can't out dazzle their statistical superior in individual innings as McCabe did Bradman or VVS did SRT. Career stats even out the anomalies and give the fairer comparison.

Chrish

International Debutant
You can def divide average to determine superiority as long as you are talking about contemporaries..

Bradman = 2* McCabe is a fair assessment..

But by some obscure logic if you come up with theory like McCabe = Ponting then I find it little tough to digest.. Classic case of rose tinted specs

Last edited: