• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Help! I can't play leg side.

Harry210495

Cricket Spectator
Hello, I am new to this forum.

I am a 20yr old who bowls Left handed, but I bat Right handed. I am focusing on my batting but realised I cannot play leg side shots, as my upper hand wrist comes in the way. Any offside shots I play with a lot of bottom hand, but if the ball comes leg side, my bottom and goes through with the shot, but my upper wrist restricts me from hitting it cleanly. Therefore there is lack of power and elavation when I play leg side. Even when I clear my front leg and have a big swing, my wrist comes in the way.

However if I bat left handed, any leg side shot I can play very clean with no restriction. It does feel more natural playing left handed but I have batted right handed all my life, so will take some time getting used to.

Is there any way to improve my leg-side play when I bat Right handed?

I appreciate you're time and any questions/suggestions are welcome.

Thank You

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
It seems to me that you are not using enough of your left hand when batting. The left hand is the key arm for a right handed batsman. I would advice to practice without using your right (your bottom) hand. As you get used to using your left hand more, it should get easier. As you can play it when batting left handed, this may be the primary issue. If possible, take a few videos and link them so we can more inputs.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Assuming when you play legside shots your left wrist is currently objecting a part of the bat handle from rotating, it'll be a good idea to position your left grip closer to the handle-end than you are doing currently.

indiaholic

International Captain
Not sure why the wrist is coming in the way, is the elbow not high enough? Sorry if that is no help.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Think the first step would be to post a pic of your grip. Any relevant advice can only come forth after that.

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
also typically when you play a leg side shot you bend down slightly , pull in your left leg(for a RH-er), slightly open up not too much and hit the ball...try this

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
That video is creepy.

Try getting your hands closer together on the handle.