• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best fast bowler in the world ATM?

Craig

World Traveller
I do not include Glenn McGrath as he has only played 4 Tests in the last 12 months and hasnt played for over 7 months.

Can some mod who has the power to, put in a poll? The nominations are: Tuffey, Gillespie, Ntini, Pollock, Shoaib Akhtar, Other (Please verify).

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Actually Ntini would be up there. I think he took something like 59 wickets last year.

masterblaster

International Captain
Makhaya Ntini and Shoaib Akhtar on a dead set tie for me.

Pollock isn't what he used to be in my view, but Ntini and Akhtar are superb.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
My vote goes for Pollock, Ntini and Akhtar.

A more interesting question would be the best fast bowlng combination-
Williams, Bracken and Lee
Gillespie, Lee and Williams
Pollock and Ntini
Akhtar and Sami

Swervy

International Captain
Pollock is the best I have seen for a bit...just coz he isnt quite as fast as he was,doesnt mean he has lost it.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Shoaib. On present form this is not even an issue. Pollock has been consistently outstanding for years but has never been as devastating as Shoaib in the last 2 years.

twctopcat

International Regular
Have to agree. Although Pollock and Ntini have performed brilliantly recently, Shoaib on recent form combines the best attributes of both bowlers in that he has been able to tie down the runs like Pollock is so good at yet is so penetrative and takes so many wickets similar to the exploits of ntini last year. For this reason and on current form it has to be Shoaib. Just hope he doesn't lose this form and choke in his next rather important series, or it could get a bit one sided.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Shoaib Akhtar is easily the most talented bowler around ATM if you ask me (yes, better than Chaminda) and recently he has fulfilled his talent.
Plenty of your nominations, Craig, are bowlers who are only capable of bowling well when swing and\or seam are available (Tuffey, Gillespie, Pollock). Ntini has bowled well only spasmodically (for instance he didn't bowl well in England, nor especially in Pakistan, though IMO he was better there than England) in the last year.
Chaminda, meanwhile, we all know about his inconsistencies and nothing has been any different in recent months.

Swervy

International Captain
i think i am going to reserve my judgement on Shoaib as I havent seen him bowl in tests since pakistan last came over to England...when i wasnt all that impressed,he was fast but inconsistant and could only manage to get the batsmen troubled in anyway for a couple of overs then he lost it....he may well have improved since then.

For me I am going with Gillespie and Pollock

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Since England 2001 Shoaib has improved, got terrible again, improved, got terrible again, and improved.
His most recent improvement has lasted longer than any of his previous ones.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Shoaib has to be the most penetrative bowler around right now. He and Ntini should be the top 2. Pollock as usual is very good, so is Gillespie, but just not as penetrative as those two.

With McGrath out in injury wilderness, the above list is pretty much every single fast bowler of real class operating now....and if that doesn't show the dearth of quality bowlers in cricket now, I don't know what does.

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Anil said:
and if that doesn't show the dearth of quality bowlers in cricket now, I don't know what does.
IMO it highlights the sheer dominance of the batsman rather than the dearth of quality bowlers...

Shoaib, Pollock, McGrath would have been class in any era...