• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd best ODI side?

Which is the 2nd best ODI side (behind Oz)?

• NZ

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • India

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • South Africa

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Bangladesh (have bullied the other sides at home)

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Other (please name)

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
It's actually Bangladesh, but we don't get enough ODI games especially away from home. We have the talent, variety and experience (More than a 1000 ODIs). No way England are better than Bangladesh – they will have 0 chance when they tour Bangladesh this year. Bangladesh severely beaten India and South Africa in 4 of the 6 ODIs played – it was too one-sided, so England stands no chance. Even if Bangladesh played away to England, I still back them to win the series since they have the bowling attack for these conditions.

I even think Bangladesh can win an ODI series against Australia at home, but definitely not away.

I remember that world cup game between Bangladesh - New Zealand – which Bangladesh nearly won. Mustafizur wasn't playing in that game either. Don't know why they have invited Pakistan instead of Bangladesh right now.

No ODI side can win a series against Australia down under. Bangladesh can definitely win ODI series away to Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Zimbabwe, Ireland, Scotland and West Indies.

Pakistan stands 0 chance against Bangladesh in ODIs anymore. Those 3 ODIs lost was too one-sided, and there was no Mustafizur. I expect Bangladesh to have their own winning streak against Pakistan now.

91Jmay

International Coach
Bangladesh would get pumped by England in Sa, Aus, India, NZ or Eng. Bangladesh would batter England in Ban, WI and UAE.

Neither team is miles better than the other but conditions would dictate the match. Bangladesh being the 2nd best ODI team in the world is the most hysterical thing I've ever read on this forum.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Permanent avatar bet says England won't lose an ODI series in Bangladesh. Have a word with yourselves ffs.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Permanent avatar bet says England won't lose an ODI series in Bangladesh. Have a word with yourselves ffs.
I know that the current England side is a far cry from the amateurs at the WC, but in Bangladesh's last 17 ODIs at home they've lost 2. It's hardly a stretch to suggest they're favourites.

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
England lost 3 of the last 4 ODIs to Bangladesh. Shakib (#2), Rubel and Mustafizur will tear England batting line-up apart. Don't forget, Mustafizur has gotten out Rohit (3x), De Kock (2x), Amla, Duminy, Raina, Dhoni etc I'm sure he can destroy Hales, Roy, Root, Stokes, Taylor etc Sarker, Tamim, Mahmudullah and Mushfiqur is enough for England bowling attack. Sorry.

Spark

Global Moderator
England lost 3 of the last 4 ODIs to Bangladesh. Shakib (#2), Rubel and Mustafizur will tear England batting line-up apart. Don't forget, Mustafizur has gotten out Rohit (3x), De Kock (2x), Amla, Duminy, Raina, Dhoni etc I'm sure he can destroy Hales, Roy, Root, Stokes, Taylor etc Sarker, Tamim, Mahmudullah and Mushfiqur is enough for England bowling attack. Sorry.
This is probably the weakest line of argument you could possibly present. "This bowler got this batsman out once upon a time"

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
BD have beaten SA and India in Bangladesh. Two teams that most users are ranking above England ATM in this thread. I don't really think it would be a surprise if they beat England at home as well.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
This is probably the weakest line of argument you could possibly present. "This bowler got this batsman out once upon a time"

For some reason this post reminded me of the time an Indian scribe asked Vengsarkar (who was the chief selector back then) why Nehra was not picked for the 2007 WC team. He added that he had performed well in the 2003 WC. Vengsarkar responded saying "I played well in the 1987 WC. so should I select myself?" or something to that effect. :laugh:

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
I don't understand how England are suddenly a great ODI team after a dreadful world cup and pre-world cup. Sure, their batting has improved a lot now in that format and bat deep, but their batsman are still not in the class of Amla, De Kock, Rohit etc in ODIs. You need bowlers to win you matches, and England's ODI bowling attack is mediocre. Yes! you beat New Zealand at home, but lost 2 games in process. Bangladesh beat New Zealand at home without losing any games and? you still couldn't win an ODI series against Australia last year at home, so how can you beat them away? you can't even win an ODI series against India at home, yet Bangladesh did convincingly. Rankings may suggest England are ranked above Bangladesh, but we all know they're not really better than Bangladesh in ODIs. England have played far more ODIs than Bangladesh. Fortunately, the rankings will be updated in May, so likely Bangladesh will be ranked above England sometime this year.

About the world cup, England had the most preparation of all the sides, and Bangladesh had the least of preparations, yet you still lost to them. Not only you lost to them, but Bangladesh barely play down under too unlike England. Shameful stuff. Also, I remember NZ humiliating England at the world cup, whereas Bangladesh gave New Zealand a scare – it shows who are actually the quality sides in that format. Good luck to England batsman in reading Mustafizur deliveries come this October. You guys couldn't even read a bowler bowling 75 mph on a flat track – just ask Root and Taylor.

Burner

International Regular
Surely India, Pakistan and SA are better in the sub-continent? If BD can beat these teams, they can very well beat England as well.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I'd expect the Bangas to thrash England in Bangaland. It's been a graveyard for much better sides the past 4 years or so.

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
ODI series since 2012 in Bangladesh:

12 - Bangladesh v West Indies - Bangladesh
13 - Bangladesh v New Zealand - Bangladesh
14 - Bangladesh v Sri Lanka - Sri Lanka
14 - Bangladesh v Zimbabwe - Bangladesh
15 - Bangladesh v Pakistan - Bangladesh
15 - Bangladesh v India - Bangladesh
15 - Bangladesh v South Africa - Bangladesh
15 - Bangladesh v Zimbabwe - Bangladesh
16 - Bangladesh v England - ???

That series loss to Sri Lanka was mainly due to the pathetic captaincy of Mushfiqur Rahim otherwise Bangladesh could've quite easily won that. A lot has changed since obviously. In regards to Bangladesh playing away, obviously it will be much more of a challenge, but still hard to say how Bangladesh does until they actually get invited for once. At the moment they are only "ifs" and "buts", but based on their world cup showing, I think Bangladesh has the capability to win series (not just games) away especially away to West Indies, England, Ireland, Scotland, Zimbabwe and Sri Lanka.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
No-one is saying England are a great ODI side but it's also dangerous to read too much into their World Cup performance given the change in both mindset and personnel that have taken place since. And given the consensus seems to be that Australia and New Zealand are the two best sides, England going 5-5 against them (albeit in home conditions) seems to be getting ignored awfully easily.

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah, love how the fact that Bangladesh are still basically pony away from home is being ignored. 2nd best in the world? Don't make me laugh.

Daemon

Yeah, love how the fact that Bangladesh are still basically pony away from home is being ignored. 2nd best in the world? Don't make me laugh.
Yeah they ain't second in the world but they didn't do too badly away from home in the WC did they? Nearly beat NZ and would've obviously beat India if that no ball had not been given :ph34r:

Daemon

No-one is saying England are a great ODI side but it's also dangerous to read too much into their World Cup performance given the change in both mindset and personnel that have taken place since. And given the consensus seems to be that Australia and New Zealand are the two best sides, England going 5-5 against them (albeit in home conditions) seems to be getting ignored awfully easily.
Nobody is saying England are a bad side but you saying that people who think Bangladesh will beat England in Bangladesh are having a laugh is absurd tstl.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
It's actually Bangladesh, but we don't get enough ODI games especially away from home. We have the talent, variety and experience (More than a 1000 ODIs). No way England are better than Bangladesh – they will have 0 chance when they tour Bangladesh this year. Bangladesh severely beaten India and South Africa in 4 of the 6 ODIs played – it was too one-sided, so England stands no chance. Even if Bangladesh played away to England, I still back them to win the series since they have the bowling attack for these conditions.

I even think Bangladesh can win an ODI series against Australia at home, but definitely not away.

I remember that world cup game between Bangladesh - New Zealand – which Bangladesh nearly won. Mustafizur wasn't playing in that game either. Don't know why they have invited Pakistan instead of Bangladesh right now.

No ODI side can win a series against Australia down under. Bangladesh can definitely win ODI series away to Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Zimbabwe, Ireland, Scotland and West Indies.

Pakistan stands 0 chance against Bangladesh in ODIs anymore. Those 3 ODIs lost was too one-sided, and there was no Mustafizur. I expect Bangladesh to have their own winning streak against Pakistan now.
You have to actually win away series though. Bangladesh have a very good team but no way are they the 2nd best side in the world.

Sachin114

Cricket Spectator
There is barely any difference in ODI pitches around the world. If Bangladesh does well at home, it is reasonable to think that they will be good away from home too.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Tbfair to Bangladesh they've played like 10 non-tournament ODIs away from home in the last 4 years or so. They're somewhat of an unknown quantity and deserve ODI tours.

Last edited: