cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Mitchell Marsh vs Ben Stokes thread

International Coach

Mitchell Marsh vs Ben Stokes thread

Taking over the tour thread so thought I'd start it here. I am on the fence who is the better bowler, really depends on more what your team needs. Think Stokes is comfortably the better and more destructive batsmen though. Marsh clearly a great timer of the ball but looked absolutely hopeless against sideways movement in England (didn't have the technique to cope with it) and his FC record being ordinary doesn't fill me with much confidence in him. Clearly his Test batting career has been really hard for him so far because he hasn't had a proper chance.

Who is better in 5 years time?

MMarsh's FC record is a bit of a misnomer tbh, about half of it was when he was batting #8 as a bowling all-rounder and pretty obviously not ready for FC cricket as a batsman (he was about 20-21 at the time, in fairness). Since he moved up to the top six for WA his record is actually pretty decent. Technique needs a lot of work, obviously, but even before that the bloke needs a proper hit in a standard Test match situation: 4/150 or 4/200, rather than 4/40 or 4/400.

Stokes having both inswinger and outswinger, and having such good control of it too, makes him such a weapon in English conditions though. I dunno if Stokes' style of bowling is really what you necessarily want from your 5th bowler though all the time, as incredibly useful as it can be, whereas Marsh's bowling is basically made-to-order for his role (he does actually have a very nice outswinger and I've seen him reverse it)
    Last edited by Spark; 16-01-2016 at 06:49 AM.
    fade, made to fade
    passion's overrated anyway

forever 63*

Stokes
    cricket rules brah

International Vice-Captain The Battlers Prince's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_mister View Post
    Stokes
    Yes some good points here.
    Tbf I've had a few drinks, but why do u feel Stokes will in 5 years still have Mmarsh's measure?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    The one who gets injured less is probably better.

Being serious though not seen enough of Marsh as a batsman to give a fair comparison.

Cricketer Of The Year Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Stokes
    This
    "This is a clash of strategy. And of methods, culture and politics. This is a new-era rivalry. Not as ancient as the Ashes, or as passionate as India-Pakistan. Two countries that are so different, yet share rampant egotism, high self-opinion and a belief that being born in their country is superior to other births. This brings together a belligerent bunch of brats, bullies and braggers."- Jarrod Kimber

It's not even fair considering Stoke just hit 250 in no time at all and Marsh has yet to get a test fifty in like 15 attempts but I was never impressed with Mitch to begin with even when he was apparently tearing it up domestically. I thought Stokes was a great bat when he got that Ashes ton down under and even though there was a lean period between that and the 250 (I think, cbf checking stats) his 250 is certainly not a surprise, Mitch even getting 150 in a test would surprise me greatly.

Actually think Shaun has a far better technique(than his bro) but I don't want him in the team either, I spose his problems are more mental

edit - I think Stokes and Mitch are both good bowlers but I've never been one to get heaps excited or even notice medium pacers really

second edit - Mitch got an 87, dunno how I completely forgot that. Need to follow this sport more closely before having an opinion it seems
    Last edited by mr_mister; 16-01-2016 at 07:03 AM.
    hendrix likes this.

International Coach
    It's not even fair considering Stoke just hit 250 in no time at all and Marsh has yet to get a test fifty in like 15 attempts but I was never impressed with Mitch to begin with even when he was apparently tearing it up domestically. I thought Stokes was a great bat when he got that Ashes ton down under and even though there was a lean period between that and the 250 (I think, cbf checking stats) his 250 is certainly not a surprise, Mitch even getting 150 in a test would surprise me greatly.

Actually think Shaun has a far better technique but I don't want him in the team either, I spose his problems are more mental
    Yeah I agree the timing is unfair of me, but it came from tour thread. Marsh needs a proper chance to bat, New Zealand a huge series for him.

Stokes in a fairly short period has demonstrated the ability to single handedly change the course of a game within a short span of time. This is an extremely rare quality, and only great players are able to do this consistently, throughout their career. Stokes, has done it a few times already within a 2 year test career. If he can maintain this growth, fitness and hard work, there is no stopping him.

Marsh is not even part of the conversation so far at this point.

Actually think Shaun has a far better technique(than his bro) but I don't want him in the team either, I spose his problems are more mental

edit - I think Stokes and Mitch are both good bowlers but I've never been one to get heaps excited or even notice medium pacers really

second edit - Mitch got an 87, dunno how I completely forgot that. Need to follow this sport more closely before having an opinion it seems
    Neither of them are medium pacers either...

Request Your Custom Title Now! Howe_zat's Avatar
    Neither of them are medium pace either :/
    We are lost
    We can never go home

i have high standards for what I even consider to be fast-medium

edit - scratch that douchey comment and the earlier one. I just tend to not notice or get excited about 5th bowlers(unless they're spinners). It's rare I even enjoy watching quicks bowl at all unless they have the new ball and can destroy teams. Childish mentality perhaps but I generally love watching batsman dominate and ton up. Been like this ever since I was very young
    Last edited by mr_mister; 16-01-2016 at 07:08 AM.

Well Stokes has hit 150 and Marsh has hit 140+ so under those standards fast-medium is basically non-existent

yeah tldr version: basically I don't even follow countries so to speak. I just follow whichever team is batting and hope they do well. It's been like this since Australia won 16 on the trot when I was little. I was so bored of it I started praying for them to lose. I'm sure others around my age had the same experience. Except in the Ashes of course they should end up 5-0 to us everytime

.....So disregard my opinion of bowlers
    Last edited by mr_mister; 16-01-2016 at 07:13 AM.

edit - scratch that douchey comment and the earlier one. I just tend to not notice or get excited about 5th bowlers(unless they're spinners). It's rare I even enjoy watching quicks bowl at all unless they have the new ball and can destroy teams. Childish mentality perhaps but I generally love watching batsman dominate and ton up. Been like this ever since I was very young
    Absolutely nothing wrong with that mate. That's what the big show is there for

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information