• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Virender SehWAAAAAAHHHHHHg - upset at how he was dropped

indiaholic

International Captain
Players will always go out of form and even out of touch permanently. That's not the issue. It's how they are handled. Ganguly mentioned how he felt Laxman had no support from Dhoni. Laxman quickly put it under the carpet, the gentleman that he is. I am the last person who would think a player has a right to stay in the team forever. However, I get the feeling they were not handled properly at all. This belief is confirmed when I see the comments by Sehwag right now. Maybe we should have handled the transition better.
What do you feel should have been done? Dropping him seemed like the right thing to do at that time... Do you prefer that he should have been given one more series while explicitly telling him that that this was his last chance?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
It seemed to me they had decided these players are not going to be in their plans any more - Sehwag, Gambhir, Harbhajan, Laxman, Zaheer and co. They have been great players. They should have been told clearly how they fit into future plans if they performed at domestic level. Instead, they were just discarded and not kept in the loop at all. These are not 2 test wonders whom you discard like this. You tell them, you are not in our plans but if you do well, we might have you back. Ganguly made an excellent point before the 2015 World Cup. He thought some of these players like Zaheer would be great for the team. However, they weren't playing a lot of cricket and so they can't be picked. They were just not kept in any sort of plans and were discarded. Compare that with Srinath in 2003 world cup. He was out of the team. Ganguly went out of his way to tell him that he thought Srinath could play the 2003 World Cup if he bowled well in domestic cricket in the season before. Srinath took it as motivation and it resulted in him playing the 2003 World Cup for us. We reached the finals.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
And you are sure Dhoni didn't do that with Zak when he came back in 2011? Zak was breaking down all over the shop, he could not even get through IPL games. That is why he was not picked. End of.

indiaholic

International Captain
In Sehwag's case, I think his failures in the first season of domestic cricket after being dropped closed all doors. I don't know if the selectors didn't communicate clearly enough with him and if they did not, it is wrong. Guy deserves to be told where he stands in the larger scheme of things.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
I would have loved to see Sehwag in the middle order but considering he was having huge troubles with his eyesight I really don't think it would have worked out. Was a champion player and loved every minute of watching him.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
That's irrelevant. No other captain in history could survive the clean sweep in England and Australia and Dhoni did because of backing of Srinavasan for his own interests. Yet the players were sacked.

indiaholic

International Captain
Not arguing that Dhoni shouldn't have been sacked.. But there didn't seem to be too many alternatives and the oldies did seem past it..

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Sehwag was deservedly dropped, and Dhawan's innings against Australia pretty much vindicated the selectors, not that Sehwag could do anything about another batsmen scoring runs.

What was stupid on the selectors part was the lack of communication (if true) with Sehwag, like honestly at least give people a heads up about a dropping. And then to actually expect a man who couldn't even get motivated against lesser teams to then go and play DOMESTIC cricket and score bucket loads of runs was never gonna happen. I still feel Sehwag was good enough to be a backup opener to Vijay/Dhawan all this time.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Reckon Sehwag at #6 could've solved a lot of our problems in the last few years. He could've performed the Gilchrist role to perfection.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Cbf looking up the stats, but didn't Sehwag get like one ton from the 2nd half of 2010 to 2013 when he was dropped? Was rubbish for all the away tests and India started to improve home and away when they brought in some younger guys.

cnerd123

likes this
Reckon Sehwag at #6 could've solved a lot of our problems in the last few years. He could've performed the Gilchrist role to perfection.
I think if he could still bowl then they would have done this. But he was dropped around the time India were beggining to realise they needed a 5th bowler more often than not, and so guys like Raina/Yuvi were getting opportunities at 6.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It is perfectly obvious to anyone who is not Pratters that Sehwag deserved to be dropped and he is just having a waaaah about it now. I do agree that selectors should have communicated the news better to him. Srikkanth did that well for Ganguly when it was obvious he was past it.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
It is perfectly obvious to anyone who is not Pratters that Sehwag deserved to be dropped and he is just having a waaaah about it now. I do agree that selectors should have communicated the news better to him. Srikkanth did that well for Ganguly when it was obvious he was past it.
You don't understand any thing being said and keep crying.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I have said exactly what every one has said on this. If he was to be dropped, just communicate with him properly on it. He wouldn't be having a whinge about it now if that was done. It's not that difficult to understand.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think if he could still bowl then they would have done this. But he was dropped around the time India were beggining to realise they needed a 5th bowler more often than not, and so guys like Raina/Yuvi were getting opportunities at 6.
Yeah as Daemon said, it's pure hindsight. At the time, I definitely would've dropped him and brought in Rohit and Dhawan. But then I didn't know how much Rohit would suck.