• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Virender SehWAAAAAAHHHHHHg - upset at how he was dropped

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sehwag 'hurt' by his ouster from India team | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Solid wahh from the great man.

I was actually at the Hyderabad test when he got out, and at that time I had no idea it was his last knock ever. Still surprises me as it doesn't seem that long ago that he was dropped.

Best bit is his quote about wanting to bat in the middle order and how Sachin wouldn't move from 4:

"I told the management [about wanting to bat lower down] but they felt that I was still good enough to play as an opener and they didn't want to take chances with the opening pair. I tried my best but could not get an opportunity in the middle order," he said. "When I played my last series, Tendulkar was still there, Kohli and Dhoni were there. Pujara was playing as the No. 3 batsman. Tendulkar was playing at 4, Kohli at 5 and it meant that I had to bat at No. 6 after Tendulkar as you could not ask him to bat at No. 3 or 5. So, there was no chance for me to bat in the middle order."

:laugh:!!!

Considering India has never properly replaced Ganguly at #6, do you think Sehwag should have been considered lower order with either him or someone else moving to 6? Or was Sehwag removed from the test team at the precise right time?

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would have been funny to see him at 6 for a test only to be dropped for Rahane tbf

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Talk about sour grapes

awesome player though. I still remember being nervous when a Test series against India would come up and they'd have a batting line-up of Sehwag, someone, Dravid, Tendulkar, Ganguly, Laxman and wondering how the **** we were supposed to take 20 wickets. Wouldn't have been anywhere near as intimidating without Sehwag at the top.

Daemon

He was dropped at the right time, though he'd still be pretty handy at home now, would take him ahead of Dhawan and Dravid jr.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
A lot of these legends were not treated properly by Dhoni and co. If they are not going to have them in team, discuss with them and see if they can be given a proper farewell and can retire at their own terms. It was almost like Dhoni wanted his yes men in the team and apart from Sachin got all past legends out one by one.

Teja.

Global Moderator
This is almost a random hypothetical at this point but hands up, who of you'd rather have Sehwag over Rohit Sharma at No. 6 for the second half of 2016 when we're playing a ****load of home tests in spinning conditions?

Last edited:

harsh.ag

This is almost a random hypothetical at this point but hands up, who of you'd rather have Sehwag over Rohit Sharma at No. 6 for the second half of 2016 when we're playing a ****load of home tests in spinning conditions?
Ex post facto yes

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
A lot of these legends were not treated properly by Dhoni and co. If they are not going to have them in team, discuss with them and see if they can be given a proper farewell and can retire at their own terms. It was almost like Dhoni wanted his yes men in the team and apart from Sachin got all past legends out one by one.

Absolute BS. He was dropped coz he sucked and there was no sign of an improvement happening in the near future.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mohinder Amarnath was part of the selection committee which decided to remove Dhoni from captaincy. However, BCCI outlawed it. It is no secret Dhoni got the team he wanted. Whether that's right or wrong is a different issue. However, when people try to discount it and try to convince themselves the reason the senior players were removed was just form, it's hilarious. Sehwag was a great player and the reason he is talking now is that he thought he was unfairly treated. I thought Laxman was poorly treater similarly.

Daemon

Yeah, I don't recall any outrage when he was dropped. In fact post the 8-0 2011 most people were ok with phasing out all the oldies.

harsh.ag

It's the least we could have done then. The guy who went most gracefully was, obviously, Dravid and he probably had very little pressure on him, having been a giant in England.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Players will always go out of form and even out of touch permanently. That's not the issue. It's how they are handled. Ganguly mentioned how he felt Laxman had no support from Dhoni. Laxman quickly put it under the carpet, the gentleman that he is. I am the last person who would think a player has a right to stay in the team forever. However, I get the feeling they were not handled properly at all. This belief is confirmed when I see the comments by Sehwag right now. Maybe we should have handled the transition better.