• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Am I missing something?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, it's far more likely PwC are. :D:saint:
Jacob Oram is ranked 9th in The World for ODI bowling.
His record, for those who don't know:
423.1 overs, 1895 runs, 59 wickets. For those who can't calculate (:D), that equates to an economy-rate of 4.47-an-over, and an average of 32.11.
His domestic economy-rate is extremely impressive (4.03-an-over) but in ODIs it's very poor. The average, while still a fraction lower than his domestic one, is comfortably over 30.
And yet this guy is ranked 9th most in-form bowler in The World.
Yes, it's also a commentary on the state of World cricket and bowling especially, but surely the credibility of these rankings must be called into serious question.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: As if they haven't been called into question already. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
This is ICC not Cricinfo you knob! And one more thing, I don't think that PwC does team rankings.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I would have to agree that while Oram has bowled well, he probably isn't in the top 10.

Although I don't think he's the only one out of place on those rankings.

Craig

World Traveller
Richard said:
No, it's far more likely PwC are. :D:saint:
Jacob Oram is ranked 9th in The World for ODI bowling.
His record, for those who don't know:
423.1 overs, 1895 runs, 59 wickets. For those who can't calculate (:D), that equates to an economy-rate of 4.47-an-over, and an average of 32.11.
His domestic economy-rate is extremely impressive (4.03-an-over) but in ODIs it's very poor. The average, while still a fraction lower than his domestic one, is comfortably over 30.
And yet this guy is ranked 9th most in-form bowler in The World.
Yes, it's also a commentary on the state of World cricket and bowling especially, but surely the credibility of these rankings must be called into serious question.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: As if they haven't been called into question already. :lol: :lol: :lol:
4.47 an over is not bad at all. He managed to drop it after a bad series in Pakistan.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
D'you mean in India? The TVS Cup where he went at about 6.6-an-over or something?
His only decent tournaments have been the bowler-dominated Bank Alfalah Cup, WC2003 and a couple of other offshire tournos. Then he was OK for most of the Pakistan games, home and away.
He's been back to his normal poor self against South Africa.
4.47-an-over mightn't be absymal, but it certainly is bad.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Armadillo said:
This is ICC not Cricinfo you knob! And one more thing, I don't think that PwC does team rankings.
I wish you 2 would keep your childish arguments where the belong - the playground.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
4.47-an-over mightn't be absymal, but it certainly is bad.
You what?!

If every bowler did that, it'd be around 225 as the teams score.

In almost every game, teams exceed that.

4.47 in the current climate is a very good economy rate.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As I've said countless times, it's not that simple.
Projected scores don't relate to personal economy-rates. 4.3-an-over is what any good bowler should be aiming for less than.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So what do they relate to then?

You cannot call an economy rate of 4.47 by any stretch of the imagination.