• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England A in the Duleep Trophy

Salamuddin

International Debutant
England A kick off their Duleep Trophy campaign with a match against South Zone at Gurgaon, Haryana.

The teams (from): South Zone: S. Ramesh (Captain), S. Sharath, Y. Venugopala Rao, S. Sriram, S. Badrinath, R. Ramkumar, Sunil Joshi, M. S. K. Prasad, N. P. Singh, Barrington Rowland, Sree Shant, D. Tamil Kumaran, Shivaji Yadav, Ibrahim Khaleel and Swapnil Asnodkar.

England A: James Tredwell (Captain), Kadeer Ali, Simond Francis, Simon Jones, Michael Lumb, Sajid Mahmood, Graham Napier, Scott Newman, Kevin Pietersen, Mathew Prior, Bilal Shafayat, Ed Smith, Graham Wagg and Shaftab Khalid.

Should be a good game....

Langeveldt

Soutie
I think South Zone have the stronger team with the likes of Ramesh, MSK Prasad, Joshi, Surinder Sriram and Venugapola Rao... should be a good game though...

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Langeveldt said:
I think South Zone have the stronger team with the likes of Ramesh, MSK Prasad, Joshi, Surinder Sriram and Venugapola Rao... should be a good game though...
Its Sridharan Sriram :)

Isolator

State 12th Man
Are you sure it's in Gurgaon? I might be able to go watch... any idea where exactly (ie. which stadium) ? Thanks.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pietersen another ton - 241-4 at Tea, and Prir scoring well again after another disappointing top order performance.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Apart from Pietersen, the rest of that England 'A' team don't really have good FC stats...I presume most of them have been picked on potential?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
They've been selected on potential more than results - all very young (except Ed Smith) and earmarked as possible future England players.

The irony of it is of course that Pietersen isn't yet English!

Langeveldt

Soutie
Tim said:
Apart from Pietersen, the rest of that England 'A' team don't really have good FC stats...I presume most of them have been picked on potential?
I dont think so, especially guys like Kadder Ali....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tim said:
Some very strange interpretations of potential, more like!
Smith's FC stats are good, but apart from him and Pietersen...
Anyone who seriously thinks Graham Wagg, Graham Napier, Matthew Prior, Simon Francis and James Tredwell have the potential to be county-standard players IMO need their heads examining!

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Richard its not a case of thinking they will play for england one day. Its about picking the best young players...if the best arent good enough then that shows the sad state of english cricket :)

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Richard said:
Some very strange interpretations of potential, more like!
Smith's FC stats are good, but apart from him and Pietersen...
Anyone who seriously thinks Graham Wagg, Graham Napier, Matthew Prior, Simon Francis and James Tredwell have the potential to be county-standard players IMO need their heads examining!
Napier, in all seriousness, has a hell of a lot of potential.

Just take a look at his OD stats.

He has really underperformed in the FC game.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Another good days play for this side - certainly shocked a few people so far with their performances.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
twctopcat said:
Yeah, was clocked around 94mph at the academy, he claims to be quicker than Jones, hence the discussion with Mahmood's form that perhaps he should be going to the caribbean instead of Jones. Doesn't matter now, because Jones is in fact going already. He's leaving the england a tour party early:
http://www.ecb.co.uk/db/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2004/FEB/073979_ENG_22FEB2004.html
And because someone has clocked 1 or 2 mph quicker than somoene else that means they should be going on an international tour.
What a brilliant idea that is. Because someone has clocked fast at a training establishment they must get an international place. The fact that his First-Class record is poor is of no relevance whatsoever, naturally.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
halsey said:
Napier, in all seriousness, has a hell of a lot of potential.

Just take a look at his OD stats.

He has really underperformed in the FC game.
If you ask me he's been exposed in the First-Class game and benefited from the Lee-Sami-Davies-Trott syndrome that affects batsmen in the one-day game, where they bizarrely gift lots of wickets to the same bowler.
As a batsman, he's one of the most overrated sloggers I've ever seen.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SpaceMonkey said:
Richard its not a case of thinking they will play for england one day. Its about picking the best young players...if the best arent good enough then that shows the sad state of english cricket :)
Well, whether or not these are the best (personally I think there simply must be some better than the like of Wagg, Napier, Prior, Francis and Tredwell) it's still a poor idea trying to make the rubbish up-to-county-standard.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
We have no choice but to make the rubbish upto county standard. These players are needed to replace the old fokes who retire. If they arent good enough then so what? you cant magic decent players out of thin air. It just means that county cricket gets even easier. Which should be more evidence of having 6 first class teams, so the (what looks like by the evidence of our a team) few good players we have in the county game are all playing each other and the weaker players get cut off.