• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England A in the Duleep Trophy

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rajin Saleh avges 28.50 in 6 Tests. Better batsmen have done worse. Give the man some credit Richard.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
Twelve innings; five scores of 40-plus..
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Rajin Saleh avges 28.50 in 6 Tests. Better batsmen have done worse. Give the man some credit Richard.
If they've done worse they're probably worse batsmen.
Yes, he's not done too badly for a Bangladeshi, but I am yet to be convinced.

chris.hinton

International Captain
MY England A Squad

1) David Fulton
2) Ed Smith
3) David Sales
4) Kevin Pietersen
5) Vikram Solanki
6) Ian Bell
7) James Foster
8) Kabir Ali
9) Martin Bicknell
10) James Kirkley
11) Jason Brown

Other squad members

Kadder Ali, Graham Swann, Matt prior, Sajid Mahmood

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
A true England A would include (amongst others) these:
David Fulton, Richard Montgomerie, Ed Smith, Robert Key, Matthew Windows.
Sadly, the actual point, the Academy squad touring as England A, is IMO a complete waste of time. It'll only give a more immidiate (and slightly more compelling, as you can't give the "you can't trust county cricket" rubbish it's run-out) show that most of this squad is complete rubbish.
what do u guys see in e smith or robert key?alright i havent seen much of smith in the national side but he failed in almost every single match on the england A tour.but robert key??he has no future, he cant play spin bowling and he has been tried and tested on at least 5 different test matches and has failed in each one of them.(+hes extremely ugly looking:D :D :D )

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
chris.hinton said:
5) Vikram Solanki
Kadder Ali
1) Kadeer
2) Solanki makes me worried whenever he bats
3) Kadeer doesn't appear to have any talent

Saleh has outperformed the vast majority of the Bangladeshi side - Bashar excepted - over his career, who'd you pick instead? Al Sahariar?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
500 in 1 day against a South Zone team with only a few recognised players is a poor effort by any team.
Be fair, it was over 2 days!!! ;)

As for only a few recognised players, I thought that this was the premier Indian Tournament - certainly before it started we wer being told that these players would destroy England!

I'm still unsure why we never made them follow on.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
what do u guys see in e smith or robert key?alright i havent seen much of smith in the national side but he failed in almost every single match on the england A tour.but robert key??he has no future, he cant play spin bowling and he has been tried and tested on at least 5 different test matches and has failed in each one of them.
But he still has a better First-Class average than most players in the last 3 or 4 years.
Hence he is simply among the best of a bad bunch.
Far better than, for instance, most of this squad. Newman undoubtedly has potential IMO, I have serious doubts over the rest. Pieterson obviously excepted. And Smith.
I don't know that either Key or Smith have Test potential, but certainly they both deserve more than 2 and 3 Tests respectively (Key is not a middle-order player and it was ludicrous to put him there).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
1) Kadeer

Saleh has outperformed the vast majority of the Bangladeshi side - Bashar excepted - over his career, who'd you pick instead? Al Sahariar?
At least Solanki has a reasonably good First-Class record. Unlike plenty.
Kadeer - like Shafayat, been talked-up for ages, never produced anything to make this look real.
IMO Al Sahriar is better than Saleh.

Swervy

International Captain
Shafayat is only 19 years old..give the lad a break...he has time to develop...he obviously has talent

chris.hinton

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
1) Kadeer

Neil you seems to have something against the Alis

Kadeer has talent

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
Shafayat is only 19 years old..give the lad a break...he has time to develop...he obviously has talent
The coming season will be his fourth at the top level.
Time to see some developmet, and some demonstration of talent, methinks.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
chris.hinton said:

Kadeer has talent
Whether or not, he has been playing top-level stuff for a while now and has never made any impression whatsoever.
Kabir, however, it seems will suffer from the "can't trust county cricket" rubbish. Despite the fact that his Test-average is better than anyone who's played for England recently except Richard Johnson.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
Whether or not, he has been playing top-level stuff for a while now and has never made any impression whatsoever.
Kabir, however, it seems will suffer from the "can't trust county cricket" rubbish. Despite the fact that his Test-average is better than anyone who's played for England recently except Richard Johnson.
and that test average is a very reliable measure isnt it...1 test at headingley:D

Langeveldt

Soutie
chris.hinton said:

Kadeer has talent

Im sure Neil doesnt have a personal vendetta against the Ali family... :lol:

And, it is right to assume, is it not.. that if a guy scores hardly anything , then he isnt overburdened with talent?

Swervy

International Captain
it can be dangerous to write someone off though just because they havent scored that many runs....reember Sarwan at the start of his career..he struggled to get runs, but you could see he had it in him to score runs...look at him now...i think he is a bit of a star is Sarwan

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
It's the only way he'll get near the Test side for 5 years or so.
Then he'll simply be an English version of Maher or Hussey.
Not an English Bevan or another Hick.