• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketweb decides the best bowler ever, another contest. Nominations thread

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Trueman
Laker
Richardson
Lindwall
Waqar
Holding
Verity
Turner
Garner
Underwood

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Steyn
Holding
Trueman
O'Reilly
Garner
Lindwall
Donald
Laker
Davidson
Waqar

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
gonna lower it to 5 noms to get in. lol. The batting one had that as a requirement and it was fine. We're still a fair way away from 64.

This means the following are now qualified:

Qualified:

Hadlee
Murali
Marshall
Warne
Ambrose
McGrath
Barnes
Wasim
Lillee
Imran
O'Reilly
Trueman
Steyn
Waqar
Donald (including mine)
Holding (including mine)

My second batch:

Donald
Holding
Croft
Garner
Ironmonger
Grimmett
Bedser
Tyson
Tayfield

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
If we get a second batch, then excluding a) those already qualified, and b) those I've already voted for:

Joel Garner
Keith Miller
Harold Larwood
Alec Bedser
Brian Statham
Shaun Pollock
Courtney Walsh
Derek Underwood
Hugh Tayfield
Lance Gibbs

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
64 no seeds sounds good for me.

My second batch of noms:

Hedley Verity
Laker
Garner
Andy Roberts
John Snow
Shaun Pollock
Alec Bedser
Bedi
Chandrasekhar
G Lohmann

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Even with the 32 seeds for the batsmen. More than half of them never had a chance to win. Most of the names in the 32 still have no legitimate chance of being named / voted the best.

Don't see the point of going past 32, no one is going to name Colin Croft or Shaun Pollock the greatest ever.

mr_mister

no, but choosing Croft as an example there is a cop-out lol because he wasn't even good enough to make it in his own test side sometimes ha. There are a lot more viable candidates to win this contest than the batting contest. I'm feeling 64....

Qualified:

Hadlee
Murali
Marshall
Warne
Ambrose
McGrath
Barnes
Wasim
Lillee
Imran
O'Reilly
Trueman
Steyn
Waqar
Donald
Holding
Bedser
Garner
Lindwall

Laker, Larwood & Grimmett all one nom away

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, 32 with 8 seeds look fine. No use filling up names and numbers for the sake of it, if none of them are even contenders for the title.

cnerd123

likes this
I still don't get the point of having seeds.

If you have 8 seeds, then you know who the 8 finalists are. Why even bother with 32, just cut straight to the chase?

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Because you don't want to have Murali vs Warne and McGrath vs Hadlee in the first round.

Having seeds doesn't exclude upsets. They were seeds and upsets in the batting thread. Didn't make it any less exciting and you end up with who most people see ad the best in the top 4 and top 2.

Having no seeds doesn't give you the best match ups and can end up with lopsided and uninteresting match ups at the back end of the contest.

mr_mister

it's true though what he said about lopsided battles in the final rounds. You want the final rounds to be closer ideally than the first few rounds. what if dizzy Gillespie(if we're doing 64) draws saqlain mustaq in round 2 fter saqlain had luckily drawn against say.... Chaminda Vaas in round 1. Now you've got either Dizzy or Saqlain making the round of 16 alongside those first 15 to get nominated who will surely win their match 30-0 or whatever.

it's nice to find a tier list of bowlers by using seeds.

but seeds or no seeds.. I like the idea of 64 ha. We've only got 4 friggin spinners nominated so far kyear