• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Protea Batting Geniuses

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I was having a discussion over a decade ago with a friend. South African batsmen usually play straight without little wrist movement compared to say, Indians. They have to counter bounce much more than turn. This makes their batting boring at times, though it's effective. So while they are at par with batsmen of other countries, they lose out when the best are discussed some how.

indiaholic

International Captain
Yeah he was terrible against Warne but IMO gets massively underrated justmbecause of that. He was not even terrible against spin but Warne just broke him mentally.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's a shame Cullinan gets such a bad ****ing rap for being a Warne bunny. The guy was a good batsman but he's made out to be some numpty. Loved watching him.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Ranking SA Genius

1# Barry Richards
2# Graeme Pollock
3# Dudley Nourse
4# Jacques Kallis
5# Herbie Taylor
6# Ab de Villiers
7# Bruce Mitchell
8# Aubrey Faulkner

Notable Omissions: Hashim Amla, Graeme Smith, Gary Kirsten, Eddie Barlow, Trevor Goddard, Jackie McGlew, Colin Bland (and the list goes on and on)

Would love to rate Herbie Taylor even further up. Master of matting pitches. His battle against Sydney Barnes is well noted. Dudley Nourse with numerous resistant innings sits high. Bruce Mitchell was the lone warrior. The more I read about Barry Richards from different accounts, the more I get convinced.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Personally, I was a BIG fan of Jonty and his style of batting, growing up as a kid. Loved his technique. Think he let himself down due to concentration issues in the long format. Technically, he was equipped to do well against any sort of bowling on any sort of track, I felt.

Marius

International Debutant
Yeah he was terrible against Warne but IMO gets massively underrated justmbecause of that. He was not even terrible against spin but Warne just broke him mentally.
Yeah, he was actually good against spin. I remember he made 115 or so out of a total of 200 in SL, while Murali was bowling hand grenades.

Was one of my favourite players as a kid. I saw him in a bookshop a few years ago and was starstruck. But I've heard he's a bit of a tool though.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
That's a fairly accurate description of SA batsmen in the thread title (what's the name of those things). Biff Smith never particularly took my fancy as a batting stylist but he scored plenty of runs. I think of his short comings towards the end of his career with turning the ball off his hip being his downfall. I never really thought about it but if he had more wrist movement like a usual SC batsman it could have been his savior.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
SA batsmen have usually been a stronger team in making useful contributions as a team rather than high individual scores. The batting was always quality upto number 9 or 10 with everyone chipping in with useful scores.