• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warne's best Australian ODI XI from the past 25 years

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
1. M Slater
2. J Langer
3. R Ponting
4. M Waugh
5. S Waugh
6. M Hussey
7. A Gilchrist+
8. S Warne
9. J Gillesppie
10. R Harris
11. G McGrath

Hayden is a ftb etc etc

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
FWIW I'd go (keeping in mind Border retired in 94 and therefore only played 4 of a possible 25 years)

Taylor *
Langer
Ponting
M.Waugh/Hussey
Clarke
S.Waugh
Gilchrist *
Warne
Gillepsie
Harris
McGrath

Legit can't split MWaugh and Hussey.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
From those not named for ODIs - still a pretty useful side:

Hayden
Watson
Jones
Clarke
Martyn
S Waugh
Haddin
Starc
Hogg
McDermott
Bracken

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ridiculous but so predictable for Warne to omit Steve Waugh. The number of times that bloke dug Australia out of a hole during the initial period when it became number one was insane. He had that period from about 93-98 or 99 where he averaged 60 plus didn't he? The bloke was flat out unbelievable during that time. He'd so often come in at three for not many and just dig in until the game turned, then flay the living **** out of any attack from anywhere. The bloke was mentally immense.

Sadly, Shane isn't.

the big bambino

International Captain
I almost teared up when Warne announced his retirement. Since then we've all got to know him better from his tweets, commentary and other ****ish shenanigans. To know him better is to like him less.

Red

Am so glad I saw Warne's whole career from go to whoa. Such an incredible bowler, and I doubt we'll see his equal again, and we'll be lucky if we do.

As The Big Bambino said, the more I hear from him, the more I can't stand him. Really dislike him as a comm and his banter on air is cringeworthy.

Red

As test bowlers for sure. It should never be forgotten how good Dizzy was.

Zinzan

Ridiculous but so predictable for Warne to omit Steve Waugh. The number of times that bloke dug Australia out of a hole during the initial period when it became number one was insane. He had that period from about 93-98 or 99 where he averaged 60 plus didn't he? The bloke
Indeed, and averaging 60 between '93-99 is probably equivalent to averaging 70-80 in the 2000s.

adub

International Captain
Anyone who would leave Tugger out of an Australian Test XI from 1990 onwards is someone who should keep their opinions to themselves unless they want make sure no one is in any doubt that they are a dickhead.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Aus test XI from those years:

Hayden
Taylor (c)
Ponting
Hussey
S Waugh
Clarke
Gilchrist (w/k)
Warne
Harris
McDermott
McGrath

People forget how good McDermott was. Champion bowler for many years and were it not for his injuries would have taken 450 wickets.

Zinzan

Did Hussey bat much at 4?

I'd rather see Clarke at 4, Hussey 5 & Waugh 6 in the middle order. Still a good mix of left and right-handers there.

Also, McDermott was very good, but both S Clark & Gillespie shade him marginally for me. I think people forget how good Clark was tbh.

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
Yeah agree with most of what has been said here. Seems like he's only done this to piss of Waugh which is pretty classless. Also completely agree that he was an absolute gun in the 90s and sometimes doesn't get enough credit for what he contributed to the team in a very difficult era. Standing up against a hostile Ambrose, etc. Anyone worth his salt would have him as one of the first names in the team for the era he has chosen.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
It's interesting to look at the stats for the time period outlined for the number 4 spot. No one touches Afgahnistan's amount of runs. Obvs if Hussey had been given that spot earlier and for longer he might've reached it, but iirc Waugh is a good 3000 runs ahead of Hussey and Martyn (who have about the same runs at same average at 4).

watson

Banned
01. Michael Slater
02. Matthew Hayden
03. Ricky Ponting
04. Mark Waugh
05. Michael Clarke
06. Steve Waugh
07. Adam Gilchrist
08. Shane Warne
09. Mitchell Johnson
10. Craig McDermott
11. Glenn McGrath

3-4-5 are pretty much lock-ins. Steve Waugh is more adaptable so he goes in at No.6. Allan Border is an 80s batsman so he doesn't deserve to be there.

Slater gets in on the basis of his 3 centuries and average of 50 after 12 Tests against Pakistan when they had a world class attack. His second innings century against Ambrose and Walsh in Trinidad, 1999 was also pretty special;

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63837.html

Incidently, 8 out of the13 Tests that Slater played against the West Indies were away. Yet he still managed a very creditable average of 38.

McGrath-McDermott-Johnson seems a pretty obvious pace attack to me as each bowler was/is the spearhead of their respective era. Has everything.

Last edited: