Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 61
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Warner appointed vice-captain

  1. #1
    School Boy/Girl Captain TheJammyTurtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    174

    Warner appointed vice-captain

    Just wanted to know what were people's thoughts on it?Think it's a bold move but one that could well work.Dont think he's half the **** he was 2 years ago.

  2. #2
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cribbertopia
    Posts
    50,902
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJammyTurtle View Post
    Think it's a bold move but one that could well work.
    I pretty much disagree with this entirely. Not so much because of any views I have of Warner, but because I just don't think it matters all the much who the VC is. Senior players beyond the captain taking on leadership roles is important in any team, but I've never really believed that officially appointing a VC really changes whether or not a player will do that much. If he's matured he'll become more of a leader whether he's VC or not.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    People go into politics to change the world. That's a bad idea. The only good reason to go into politics is to sweep government away so that the world can change itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Freddie is the greatest cricketer ever so the fact these comparisons are being made means three things:

    1. Stokes is pretty good
    2. Jono is a ****
    3. Taxation is theft

  3. #3
    Hall of Fame Member Hurricane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Posts
    15,199
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I pretty much disagree with this entirely. Not so much because of any views I have of Warner, but because I just don't think it matters all the much who the VC is. Senior players beyond the captain taking on leadership roles is important in any team, but I've never really believed that officially appointing a VC really changes whether or not a player will do that much. If he's matured he'll become more of a leader whether he's VC or not.
    VC often gets called upon to captain...as you well know - this is a significant appointment. I would have preferred to see a bowler get the nod, bowlers make good vice captains as they have a different perspective on issues. Vice also gets included in "decisions" from time to time.
    1) Ross is Boss.
    2) See point 1.

    Leading the charge against nuances being used in posts.

    Overrated XI M Bracewell, Burns, Rahane, Don Voges, Bairstow, Alecz Day, Donovan Grobelaar, Luke Ronchi, Faulkner, Dan Christian, Permaul

  4. #4
    International Regular Tangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    63*
    Posts
    3,375
    He's still a dick.
    _Ed_, Black_Warrior and Smudge like this.


  5. #5
    International Coach G.I.Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    13,003
    The VCy can sometimes be used to reign in 'expressive' players who also show cricketing promise. Makes them feel more responsible for their actions. Sort of like how Kohli had to curb himself after being appointed VC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!


    'You will look very silly said Mr Salteena with a dry laugh.
    Well so will you said Ethel in a snappy tone and she ran out of the room with a very superier run throwing out her legs behind and her arms swinging in rithum.
    Well said the owner of the house she has a most idiotick run.'


  6. #6
    State Regular burr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    931
    Have we ever had an illiterate VC before? First time for everything..
    Black_Warrior, Tangles and _Ed_ like this.
    'It is hard to recall a batsman quite so serene, so unrushed, so unflappable.' Chris Ryan on ... look to the left. Ahhhh.

  7. #7
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    64,699
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I pretty much disagree with this entirely. Not so much because of any views I have of Warner, but because I just don't think it matters all the much who the VC is. Senior players beyond the captain taking on leadership roles is important in any team, but I've never really believed that officially appointing a VC really changes whether or not a player will do that much. If he's matured he'll become more of a leader whether he's VC or not.
    if Smith twangs his hammy or pulls a calf the day before the first test of the summer it is a massive appointment.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

    Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

  8. #8
    Hall of Fame Member Hurricane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Posts
    15,199
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    if Smith twangs his hammy or pulls a calf the day before the first test of the summer it is a massive appointment.
    Agreed. PEWS is wrong. He isn't often wrong. In this case he is.

    The other issue I have with it is from an ethical perspective. It sends a very strong message about the type of team that Australia want to be. And I find that message to be surprising unless you look at it from GI Joe's perspective that this is a well thought appointment to transform the player into a more responsible one.

  9. #9
    Cricket Web Staff Member Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    TEF
    Posts
    6,680
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Agreed. PEWS is wrong. He isn't often wrong. In this case he is.

    The other issue I have with it is from an ethical perspective. It sends a very strong message about the type of team that Australia want to be. And I find that message to be surprising unless you look at it from GI Joe's perspective that this is a well thought appointment to transform the player into a more responsible one.
    The argument is good and works as well. Kohli needed to be thrust into responsibility to become a better and more mature cricketer, however I don't think that's the reason Australia made Warner VC. I think they made him VC for a very simple reason - they don't have anyone else and Warner is one of the very few players in the team who looks like he will play for a few years. If Rogers was 5 years younger, it would have been him, but he's not.
    Last edited by Black_Warrior; 15-08-2015 at 07:42 AM.
    "I even jokingly suggested to Alastair Cook that we play a decider, to which he said, 'You must be wanting it at Lord's or The Oval?', and my response was, 'No, we can beat you at Old Trafford and Edgbaston, too" - Misbah ul Haq.

  10. #10
    Hall of Fame Member morgieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    63*
    Posts
    15,794
    Quote Originally Posted by burr View Post
    Have we ever had an illiterate VC before? First time for everything..
    Wasn't Healy VC for a few years?
    5-0

    Want to be the online Don Bradman or Ian Salisbury?
    Then join CW Cricket today. It's what all the cool kids desire.

    RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy 1988-2014

  11. #11
    Cricket Web Staff Member Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    TEF
    Posts
    6,680
    Ponting and Warne were VCs too right ?

  12. #12
    Evil Scotsman Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    467
    Posts
    27,222
    I don't think Ponting was. IIRC Gilchrist became Vice captain after Warne was sacked, Ponting jumped the queue when Waugh was pensioned off.
    ​63*

    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Come on Lancashire!

  13. #13
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    40,812
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Agreed. PEWS is wrong. He isn't often wrong. In this case he is.

    The other issue I have with it is from an ethical perspective. It sends a very strong message about the type of team that Australia want to be. And I find that message to be surprising unless you look at it from GI Joe's perspective that this is a well thought appointment to transform the player into a more responsible one.
    Cricket is not a morality tale.
    do you think people will be allowed to make violins?
    who's going to make the violins?

    forever 63*

  14. #14
    State Regular burr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    931
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Warrior View Post
    The argument is good and works as well. Kohli needed to be thrust into responsibility to become a better and more mature cricketer, however I don't think that's the reason Australia made Warner VC. I think they made him VC for a very simple reason - they don't have anyone else and Warner is one of the very few players in the team who looks like he will play for a few years. If Rogers was 5 years younger, it would have been him, but he's not.
    This. No one (apart from Warner) wants Warner as VC, there's just no one else. Still...if (huge if) Nevill can secure his position in the side maybe we'll never have the ignominy of Warner captaining Australia. Watson was bad enough.
    _Ed_ likes this.

  15. #15
    Hall of Fame Member Hurricane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Posts
    15,199
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Cricket is not a morality tale.
    It would be if I were in charge. In business we take morality into things all the time. All leadership appointments take ethical considerations into account in my workplace. Cricket ideally should be no different (if I were running Cricket Australia anyway).

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Australia Announce New Captain and Vice Captain
    By howardj in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 03-04-2011, 07:56 AM
  2. Sangakkara captain, Murali vice captain ?
    By nookie_lk in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 13-03-2009, 04:16 AM
  3. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 28-01-2008, 06:47 AM
  4. Asif Named Pakistan Vice-Captain
    By Burgey in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 14-05-2007, 01:52 PM
  5. Lara appointed captain
    By silentstriker in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 29-04-2006, 01:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •