Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Warner appointed vice-captain

School Boy/Girl Captain TheJammyTurtle's Avatar

Warner appointed vice-captain

Just wanted to know what were people's thoughts on it?Think it's a bold move but one that could well work.Dont think he's half the **** he was 2 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJammyTurtle View Post
    Think it's a bold move but one that could well work.
    I pretty much disagree with this entirely. Not so much because of any views I have of Warner, but because I just don't think it matters all the much who the VC is. Senior players beyond the captain taking on leadership roles is important in any team, but I've never really believed that officially appointing a VC really changes whether or not a player will do that much. If he's matured he'll become more of a leader whether he's VC or not.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    Rejecting 'selection deontology' since Mar '15
    Moeen is a perfectly fine bowler FFS

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I pretty much disagree with this entirely. Not so much because of any views I have of Warner, but because I just don't think it matters all the much who the VC is. Senior players beyond the captain taking on leadership roles is important in any team, but I've never really believed that officially appointing a VC really changes whether or not a player will do that much. If he's matured he'll become more of a leader whether he's VC or not.
    VC often gets called upon to captain...as you well know - this is a significant appointment. I would have preferred to see a bowler get the nod, bowlers make good vice captains as they have a different perspective on issues. Vice also gets included in "decisions" from time to time.
    I got great enjoyment shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    one day NZ will bring chappell to his knees in a puddle of his own tears and you'll see Phlegm on his belly greedily tasting every delicious tear before watching the hope fade from that old ****s eyes.
    Overrated XI Warner, Rutherford, Steve Smith, Rahane, Bairstow, Alecz Day, Donovan Grobelaar, Luke Ronchi, Faulkner, Dan Christian, Permaul

He's still a dick.
    _Ed_, Black_Warrior and Smudge like this.

The VCy can sometimes be used to reign in 'expressive' players who also show cricketing promise. Makes them feel more responsible for their actions. Sort of like how Kohli had to curb himself after being appointed VC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

Have we ever had an illiterate VC before? First time for everything..
    Black_Warrior, Tangles and _Ed_ like this.
    'It is hard to recall a batsman quite so serene, so unrushed, so unflappable.' Chris Ryan on ... look to the left. Ahhhh.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    if Smith twangs his hammy or pulls a calf the day before the first test of the summer it is a massive appointment.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    if Smith twangs his hammy or pulls a calf the day before the first test of the summer it is a massive appointment.
    Agreed. PEWS is wrong. He isn't often wrong. In this case he is.

The other issue I have with it is from an ethical perspective. It sends a very strong message about the type of team that Australia want to be. And I find that message to be surprising unless you look at it from GI Joe's perspective that this is a well thought appointment to transform the player into a more responsible one.

International Debutant Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post

The other issue I have with it is from an ethical perspective. It sends a very strong message about the type of team that Australia want to be. And I find that message to be surprising unless you look at it from GI Joe's perspective that this is a well thought appointment to transform the player into a more responsible one.
    The argument is good and works as well. Kohli needed to be thrust into responsibility to become a better and more mature cricketer, however I don't think that's the reason Australia made Warner VC. I think they made him VC for a very simple reason - they don't have anyone else and Warner is one of the very few players in the team who looks like he will play for a few years. If Rogers was 5 years younger, it would have been him, but he's not.
    Last edited by Black_Warrior; 15-08-2015 at 06:42 AM.
    "This is a clash of strategy. And of methods, culture and politics. This is a new-era rivalry. Not as ancient as the Ashes, or as passionate as India-Pakistan. Two countries that are so different, yet share rampant egotism, high self-opinion and a belief that being born in their country is superior to other births. This brings together a belligerent bunch of brats, bullies and braggers."

I wonder who these two countries are

Quote Originally Posted by burr View Post
    Have we ever had an illiterate VC before? First time for everything..
    Wasn't Healy VC for a few years?
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

International Debutant Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Ponting and Warne were VCs too right ?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    I don't think Ponting was. IIRC Gilchrist became Vice captain after Warne was sacked, Ponting jumped the queue when Waugh was pensioned off.
    ​63*

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post

Cricket is not a morality tale.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Moores
    We thought 275 was chaseable. We'll have to look at the data.
    forever 63*

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Warrior View Post
    The argument is good and works as well. Kohli needed to be thrust into responsibility to become a better and more mature cricketer, however I don't think that's the reason Australia made Warner VC. I think they made him VC for a very simple reason - they don't have anyone else and Warner is one of the very few players in the team who looks like he will play for a few years. If Rogers was 5 years younger, it would have been him, but he's not.
    This. No one (apart from Warner) wants Warner as VC, there's just no one else. Still...if (huge if) Nevill can secure his position in the side maybe we'll never have the ignominy of Warner captaining Australia. Watson was bad enough.
    _Ed_ likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Cricket is not a morality tale.
    It would be if I were in charge. In business we take morality into things all the time. All leadership appointments take ethical considerations into account in my workplace. Cricket ideally should be no different (if I were running Cricket Australia anyway).

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information