• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is McGrath finished?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yeh it is pretty lame isnt it...

Id say "Team England" takes the biscuit...

Yeah we know you are a team....

(BTW i dont think this applies to cricket, ive heard mention of it in other sports)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The ACB had a much more professional appearance than 'Cricket Australia'.

(Note that I am referring to the name, not the institution.)

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:

IMO I think that the name 'Cricket Australia' is better and more modern than 'ACB'

Craig

World Traveller
Mr Mxyzptlk said:

They changed it to be more public friendly.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
This is starting to remind me of the Gough on/off/on/off comeback.
And plenty besides him...
IMO Goughie could still easily make a Test-class bowler, though - I think he'd still be there if he'd been brought back 2 Tests later than he was.
But there have been countless examples, in many sports, of players having what appeared a minor injury that kept them out for gradually longer and longer, eventually, totally inconceivably, all-but finishing them off.
I hope this is not one of them.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Andre said:
Write McGrath off - at your own peril...
I'm writing him off at my own peril;). I predicted before the start of the Ind-Aus series and will stand by that word now too. Even if he comes back, he won't be that good. Australia has a tour of India coming up and that is not the best place for a pace bowler to return. By that time he will be 35 ..........:(

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Most places aren't very good for seam-bowlers ATM.
It hasn't stopped McGrath from getting good figures.
Not, I add, though his own bowling of good deliveries in the majority of cases.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
So what is it then - the pressure he builds up on the batsman causing the false shot to be played?

McGrath's record is because he is a superb bowler.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Richard said:
So McGrath has been so incredibly lucky over the course of his career that he's taken over 400 wickets at 21podd per?

Yet it's impossible that those such as Flintoff, Banks etc. have bowled very well and yet been unlucky not to get wickets, albeit across a shorter space of time...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Yet it's impossible that those such as Flintoff, Banks etc. have bowled very well and yet been unlucky not to get wickets, albeit across a shorter space of time...
There is usually a reason for such figures. In Flintoff's case it is because although he bowls a nice line and length he very rarely troubles the batsmen because he is allways outside off-stump and never does anything with the ball. You could call it an illusion, I'm pretty sure Richie would call it an "optical illusion" that Flintoff bowls well yet never picks up wickets, well it's that he appears to bowl well but never actually threatens or creates chances. You cannot base an average of everything but 50 purely on a lack of luck.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
And you can't base an average of 21podd on a career-long glut of luck. Hence my point.
Very true, but using Flintoff was not a good example.

Mr Mxyzptlk

According to your initial response, Flintoff was an adequate example. Still, I probably could have come up with someone more apt, but am tired.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
According to your initial response, Flintoff was an adequate example. Still, I probably could have come up with someone more apt, but am tired.
My initial response told you that every time I've seen Flintoff bowl and people have said he's bowled well, and I'm talking about Tests here guys, he's bowled tidily but never actually threatened. So I can't see how that's even related, let alone adequate. But since your tired I'll let you off :)

raju

School Boy/Girl Captain
Richard said:
2888 posts by you and surely this has to be the most ludicrous. Stiff competition though.
If they were not good deliveries what were they? Average, bad or mediocre?