• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Grimmett and O'Reilly? Who was better?

No you went on a rant to push this weird anti MMarsh/Watson agenda you have. And you do this in so many threads. I don't even understand why. We don't select the teams. Go to the CA offices and rant at them. This is a thread about Grimmet and O'Reilly.
I am not against Watson. You have me confused with a lot of other posters. Read what I said about Watson again.

I am not a fan of M Marsh. That I freely admit and make clear.

Antihippy

International Debutant
Though I would actually love to see how Faulkner would fare basically playing as a chinaman bowling at medium pace.

Yeah I prefer Faulks to Marsh. I dislike both Marshs. Watto I still rate.

It's funny you didn't even mention Cummins, I think he's better than Pattinson. I guess Siddle is done for? lol our pace stocks are pretty deep atm. But soon enough Rhyno will have to retire anyway... 35 is old for a pace bowler
And Cummins for that matter. I think Pattinson is world class. Siddle I am not the biggest fan of but he serves a purpose. But Starc, Pattinson and even Bollinger (for the last few years anyway) are classy acts. Cummins could possibly be. But I really rate Pattinson. He has displayed his star quality on a consistent basis in test cricket.

I didn't mention Jackson Bird either or even Ben Cutting at a pinch. Australia has so much seam depth. Its ridiculous.

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
There are other threads for this type of discussion. I'd rather we stick with the topic at hand.

On that note, if my calculations are correct, Grimmett took another 214 wickets at 24.17 during the rest of his first class career. Not too shabby considering he played til he was 49.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Nah. Segue. Antihippy mentioned James Faulkner. I continued the Faulkner discussion.

I am interested in people's views of whether Faulkner has been given a fair shake compared to M Marsh and for some, Watto.
So start a thread on it instead of making 5 posts about it in a thread that's clearly about early era spinners, not modern Aust allrounders. Not complicated.

Don't be a tool. I'm not saying anything more on this, but seriously, it's disrespectful to the thread starter to do what you're doing. And you're smart enough to know that.
Thats two posts for you not on the OP's topic. Are you suffering a case of hypocrisy? Or you just like to whinge? If you reply its three and you broke your word. They're rhetorical questions.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Who did Bradman struggle more against? I remember he rates O'Reilly as the better of the two, but Grimmet was a more subtle bowler anyways.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Nah. Segue. Antihippy mentioned James Faulkner. I continued the Faulkner discussion.

I am interested in people's views of whether Faulkner has been given a fair shake compared to M Marsh and for some, Watto.
This discussion doesn't relate to the thread topic in the slightest, and that's really not up for debate. Start another thread.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
From Ashley Mallett's popular cricinfo piece..

Bradman, who reckoned O'Reilly to have been the best bowler he saw or played against, said he had the ability to bowl a legbreak of near medium pace that consistently pitched around leg stump and turned to nick the outside edge or the top of off.

Bradman once wrote me: "I always classified Clarrie Grimmett as the best of the genuine slow legspinners, (I exclude Bill O'Reilly because, as you say, he was not really a slow leggie) and what made him the best, in my opinion, was his accuracy. Arthur Mailey spun the ball more - so did Fleetwood-Smith and both of them bowled a better wrong'un but they also bowled many loose balls. I think Mailey's bosey was the hardest of all to pick.

Don't believe Bradman ever saw Barnes play but I assume that Barnes/O'Reilly would be similar bowlers, O'Reilly perhaps a little slower? Whilst Grimmett would be more of a classical leggie like Warne.

All I can say is I'd love to have seen either one bowl, it would have been quite a sight. No doubt both are in the top 5 spinners of all time.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/634428.html
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/bradman-v-warne-20120120-1qa4j.html
http://www.theroar.com.au/2010/12/25/25-december-1891-the-best-ever-spinner-born-in-nz/

"Grimmett’s problem was that he often talked about the fact that he could get Bradman out. The Don never liked bowlers who made this sort of boast. Cricket historians believe that this mutual hostility was the reason why Bradman insisted on dropping Grimmett for the 1936/37 Ashes series in Australia and from the 1938 tour to England."

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
From Ashley Mallett's popular cricinfo piece..

Bradman, who reckoned O'Reilly to have been the best bowler he saw or played against, said he had the ability to bowl a legbreak of near medium pace that consistently pitched around leg stump and turned to nick the outside edge or the top of off.

Bradman once wrote me: "I always classified Clarrie Grimmett as the best of the genuine slow legspinners, (I exclude Bill O'Reilly because, as you say, he was not really a slow leggie) and what made him the best, in my opinion, was his accuracy. Arthur Mailey spun the ball more - so did Fleetwood-Smith and both of them bowled a better wrong'un but they also bowled many loose balls. I think Mailey's bosey was the hardest of all to pick.

Don't believe Bradman ever saw Barnes play but I assume that Barnes/O'Reilly would be similar bowlers, O'Reilly perhaps a little slower? Whilst Grimmett would be more of a classical leggie like Warne.

All I can say is I'd love to have seen either one bowl, it would have been quite a sight. No doubt both are in the top 5 spinners of all time.

Ashley Mallett on Bill O'Reilly and Clarrie Grimmett | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo
Bradman v Warne
Clarrie Grimmett: The best ever spinner born in NZ on 25 December 1891 | The Roar

"Grimmett’s problem was that he often talked about the fact that he could get Bradman out. The Don never liked bowlers who made this sort of boast. Cricket historians believe that this mutual hostility was the reason why Bradman insisted on dropping Grimmett for the 1936/37 Ashes series in Australia and from the 1938 tour to England."
There's a DVD called "The Cricket Archives" which has footage of Grimmett and O'Reilly bowling. You're right, Grimmett was a similar style of bowler to Warne and it's hard to compare O'Reilly to anyone modern imo.

I also haven't watched this for a while (think Watson linked to this a while back in another thread) and don't have time now, but I think it has footage of both of them...

cnerd123

likes this
Arthur Mailey at 6:46.
Grimmett at 9:46
O'Reilly at at 12:50

Grimmett and Mailey look very similar, and O'Reilly reminds me of the way I bowled as a kid! I should have stuck to that...

And as a little bonus - Titch Freeman at 8:22

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Arthur Mailey - Never deliberately bowled a maiden over. Haha gold. Great footage, love seeing Tich there. Grimmett just as accurate as described. O'Reilly jeez look at that run up. Would have been hell facing him surely. Oh I also liked the quote in the articles about Grimmett knowing it was a change of pace that had beaten batsmen not dip and such terms.