Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shane Watson

International Debutant iamdavid's Avatar

Shane Watson

The figures
    2003/04 Pura Cup
    8 matches , 15 innings , 819 runs@58.5 , 3x100 , 3x50 , high score - 157 , 8 catches.
    2 wickets@52

First Class Carear
    25 matches , 43 innings , 1738 runs@45.73 , 5x100 , 10x50 , hs - 157 , 12 catches.
    51 wickets@26.43 , SR - 43.2 , eco - 3.66 , best - 6/32 , 2x5wi , 1x10wm.

His batting has just gone to another level this season after the work at the academy during winter , with this recent form its just a matter of time before he's back in Australian colours once more.......the question is which form of the game he should be picked in.

Now Im of the firm beleif , and have been since I first saw him play , that Watson will make an average ODI player at best , but would be an outstanding test prospect.
    His game is clearly more suited to the longer form , with the bat he is over reliant on boundaries , not the greatest when it comes to working the ball around for 1's & 2's , he needs a bit of time to play himself in at the start of an innings , cant just go out there & swing from ball 1.
    Now that sort of player is never going to acheive a huge amount of success with the bat in ODI's unless they are consistently batting in the first 15 overs (ala Hayden).
    However the patience & ability to kick on with the starts once set are traits of a top flight test batsman.

With the ball he is not as wayward as his ODI & FC records would suggest , its just that his bowling lacks variety.
    He is quick , but not quick enough to scare them , swings the new ball away from right handers & the old ball into them (this is something Ive noticed seems to come naturally to him , its a huge advantage) & he is capable of bowling a tight line.
    Its just that he is very skiddy (with his flatter trajectory) & tends to be a bit one paced & predictable with the ball , which means when batsman get their eyes in they can whack him over the top & he can go for plenty in quick time , this has already happened a couple of times in his ODI carear.

He's great in the feild , very good under the helmet at short leg & has one of the strongest arms in the country.

IMO he's a victim of the generalisation that allrounders are better suited to the shorter form of the game , despite the fact that a glance at his record , or just watching him bat , reveals that test cricket is his go.

Now that he's bowling again & making runs like there's no tomorrow the temptation must be there to slot him into the test side.
    I see both sides of the coin here , he's young , enthusiastic , the sides getting old & he's making the runs , so lets get him in there now while the team is winning & we've got the positive culture happening.

But also the viewpoint of , Love , Hussey , Hussey jnr , Hodge , Lehmann are all making the runs at the same rate & have been doing so consistently for years , they deserve the chance more.

Now I realise that just ATM he isnt back to 100% pace with the ball , so chucking him in at 6 for the tests in SRL would be foolish.
    But long term his potential value to the side as a middle order batsman / 3rd or 4th seamer is massive.
    He would allow us to play 2 spinners & 5 bowlers in all conditions without harming the batting.
    For me he's ahead of Clarke ATM in the que for test selection as he's piling em on at domestic level , his bowling , age & feilding are a bonus.

What are your thoughts?

International Vice-Captain Linda's Avatar

Re: Shane Watson

Originally posted by iamdavid
    [B]The figures
    What are your thoughts?
    He's bloody awesome. Is that enough?

"I know I underperformed but after the past 18 months I thought I might have received more than four Test matches' grace."
    - DR Martyn.

"Is there any way to make it longer?"
    Peter English on Twenty20

Official Face of the v. hip 'Twenty20 Is Boring Society'

International Debutant iamdavid's Avatar

Re: Re: Shane Watson

Originally posted by Linda
    He's bloody awesome. Is that enough?
    Yes that shall suffice

Banned
    Canberra (in body), Perth (in spirit), Nagoya (in the future)
    Whack him in the test side. Now. Right now.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    yeah i think he will be a great test player - i think he will do alright in the shorter version of the game as well, if he gets a run with Symonds and Clarke usually sharing 10 overs (if not a few more)
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Banned
    Originally posted by age_master
    yeah i think he will be a great test player - i think he will do alright in the shorter version of the game as well, if he gets a run with Symonds and Clarke usually sharing 10 overs (if not a few more)
    Watson is too good a bowler to bowl 3/4 in a match. He's a 6+ man at least.

Don't forget everybody, he's sexy.

International Vice-Captain Linda's Avatar
    Originally posted by furious_ged
    Bonus

Originally posted by furious_ged

Cleo Bachelor of the year runner up or something last year wasn't he.

Banned
    Well age, I was having a bit of a joke but you just scared the crap out of me.

the award is a fact (you know it actually happened), not my opinion

His dashing good looks aside, he is an all rounder on the improve.....hopefully his bowling willl get to where his batting is ATM...then Australia should give him a go again in the one dayers, as that has been the traditional "apprenticeship" for test hopefuls. Then see his performance, give a go in a few tests, don't expect too much from him, and hopefully he will turn out to be a Neil Harvey or Richie Benaud......

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!

Re: Shane Watson

Originally posted by iamdavid
    But also the viewpoint of , Love , Hussey , Hussey jnr , Hodge , Lehmann are all making the runs at the same rate & have been doing so consistently for years , they deserve the chance more.
    Hussey jnr only came on the scene last year, so it is a bit of a stretch to say that he has been consistent for years.

But yeah, I agree Watson is a prospect of the future. Maybe not yet, but pretty soon.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

i didnt rate watson when he was in the australian side because he bowled 2 or 3 overs and batted at eight or nine, he never got a chance to proove himself internationally except for the flash of brilliance against kenya, but its only kenya
    Member of LSU (bowl part time pies)

RIP Fardin

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    As david said, that was in ODIs, and me and him agree that he'll make an average ODI player at best.
    Don't judge his Test-match credentials on ODIs.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

he hasnt played a test yet has he

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information