• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in Bangladesh 2015

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
I am a bit confused about the advisor's role tbh. Ganguly, Tendulkar and Laxman are appointed if I'm not wrong. Don't know how these things work but are so many advisors required? It's a good thing that guys like Tendulkar, Ganguly and Laxman are involved in BCCI though.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I am a bit confused about the advisor's role tbh. Ganguly, Tendulkar and Laxman are appointed if I'm not wrong. Don't know how these things work but are so many advisors required? It's a good thing that guys like Tendulkar, Ganguly and Laxman are involved in BCCI though.
If the rumours are to be believed, Ganguly is pushing for the job of coach. He has openly said that's his dream job. Depending on Tendulkar and Laxman's backing (Kohli and Dhoni's opinions will also count of course), he may get that in near future. It is important to note that we don't yet have a coach (contrary to what OP is saying). Shastri has been retained as the 'Team Director' for the BD tour. And that decision has been taken very late. We've had a long IPL, and yet BCCI couldn't decide on a coach. It is because there are too many big names who are interested in that job.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They approached Dravid as well but he declined sadly.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Mullah hurt his fingers while practicing today. Out of the series now. Just scored a hundred in BCL. What a blow.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Harby's good spells in those tours came when he started tossing it up.

He just couldn't do that consistently, for whatever reason. He was bowling flat, he was bowling ineffectively, and occasionally would bowl well.

You could make a case for him being told to be flat and defensive due to the pitches. However, I think he just didn't have the rhythm or confidence to toss it up regularly. Ashwin came in and bowled slowly and spun it hard on those same dead tracks and reaped the rewards. Ojha bowled slowly and was effective.

Bowling quick isn't even the main issue. He just wasn't effective. Jadeja came in and bowled darts, but spun them harder and got turn and bounce.

My abiding memory of Harbhajan was just flat, wicket-to-wicket topspinners with the odd doosra thrown in here and then. He just wasn't effective. He's always been at his best when he bowled slower and tried attacking outside of off. For whatever reason he wasn't doing that. Given how Ashwin came in and did that so well, I doubt it was MSD's orders.

During this phase he was also pretty good in Limited Overs cricket and I thought he shouldn't have been dropped from the ODI/T20 sides, but Ashwin's emergence as a wicket-taker in both formats basically made his position in the side untenable. Jadeja and Ashwin made for a good ODI pair and so Harbhajan had to go.
Nope, as far as I'm concerned the pitches produced by India during the 07-10 period were considerably flatter than those from 2011 onwards. I don't deny that spinners other than Harbhajan should have got a chance to play at the time when he was dropped, but that doesn't automatically mean he was awful outright. I remember NZ drawing the first 2 tests back in 2010 on absolute joke pitches and then the last one actually turned a bit and we beat NZ in the 3rd test. Then there was that SL tour when Harby bowled on SSC where it was yet another 600 v 600 contest and then had to skip the next test (can't remember the reason) which was spin friendly. It's little things like that that eventually add up and give the impression that Harby wasn't doing well.

All I'm saying is that he deserves his call back because I don't think I've seen him have even one bad IPL season in all these years, and Harby is not the guy you can ask to go to Ranji trophy and take bucketloads of wickets, he needs the big stage to get that extra kick and I feel as though he's good enough to bowl India to victories even now. I think its fair game between Harby/Ashwin and other spinners to be picked for tests depending on the balance of the side. Personally, I'd still play Ashwin/Jadeja at home due to the balance of the side, but I wouldn't be against Harby playing.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Harby bowled rubbish vs England on a Mumbai pitch where Suresh Raina could've spun it square.
Because you know, Ashwin bowled sooooooo much better in that same test right? <_<

That mumbai pitch was different in the sense that it aided bowlers who spin it with a bit of pace, hence panesar taking 10+ wickets in the match.

OverratedSanity

Because you know, Ashwin bowled sooooooo much better in that same test right? <_<

That mumbai pitch was different in the sense that it aided bowlers who spin it with a bit of pace, hence panesar taking 10+ wickets in the match.
When did I say Ashwin did well. Has nothing to do with Bhajji being rubbish.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
When did I say Ashwin did well. Has nothing to do with Bhajji being rubbish.
Because maybe it was more than him simply being rubbish, the pitch, the batsmen (one who played a ridiculous innings), the handling of the bowlers (Bhajji getting half the overs due to India having picked a surplus spinner) could have also had something to do with it.

Daemon

Harbhajan never declined rapidly, it just got to a point where it felt like there was no point keeping a spinner who just wasn't improving or showing results, even though occassionally doing a job. His doosra had gone out of the game, he was bowling flat and useless topspinners, beating nobody in the air or off the pitch and it was just not enough. Completely justifiable to drop him back then.

Since then it's really hard to judge whether he's bowling well enough for a comeback. He's only played 3 games this season and while on paper he did pretty well in the season before that, you just don't know how well he's bowled unless you've watched him closely, which I freely admit I haven't. The pitches have largely just taken spinners out of the game barring a couple of minefields and so just the numbers are extremely misleading. Watching the IPL isn't enough. Hopefully the selectors have done their homework.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Harbhajan never declined rapidly, it just got to a point where it felt like there was no point keeping a spinner who just wasn't improving or showing results, even though occassionally doing a job. His doosra had gone out of the game, he was bowling flat and useless topspinners, beating nobody in the air or off the pitch and it was just not enough. Completely justifiable to drop him back then.

Since then it's really hard to judge whether he's bowling well enough for a comeback. He's only played 3 games this season and while on paper he did pretty well in the season before that, you just don't know how well he's bowled unless you've watched him closely, which I freely admit I haven't. The pitches have largely just taken spinners out of the game barring a couple of minefields and so just the numbers are extremely misleading. Watching the IPL isn't enough. Hopefully the selectors have done their homework.
Yeah this sums it up well, I never said Harby didn't deserve to be dropped, just that he wasn't totally crap at the time at which he was dropped. And to add to what you just said, it's not like Ashwin has completely dominated as a spinner during that time period, so I don't see him as untouchable, although I'd have him in the team as an AR in any case but that's a separate argument. With Ojha's action remodeled, Mishra and Chawla too hit or miss, Karn Sharma not exactly test material just yet and Jadeja not being a frontline spinner, its not as if India have top notch spinners lined up where we can't go back to Harby.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Yeah this sums it up well, I never said Harby didn't deserve to be dropped, just that he wasn't totally crap at the time at which he was dropped.
His mother would offer you chai and samosas for that defense of her son but please know that you are wrong.

And to add to what you just said, it's not like Ashwin has completely dominated as a spinner during that time period, so I don't see him as untouchable
R Ashwin the fastest to 100 Test wickets in over 80 years | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

So, yeah, wrong again. If he had only played home tests, he would be treated like Samaraweera now and be over rated now which would be nice but he at least won't be criminally under rated like he is now. And I know no one likes being told they are wrong but you are so wrong.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

I can sort of see why some people think bhajji is a good choice for the upcoming few series at home even though I don't agree.

However, I think it's a bit absurd to say Harbhajan wasn't bowling utter tripe when he was dropped. He was terrible and any of you who watched those matches should know this. He was atrocious.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I can sort of see why some people think bhajji is a good choice for the upcoming few series at home even though I don't agree.

However, I think it's a bit absurd to say Harbhajan wasn't bowling utter tripe when he was dropped. He was terrible and any of you who watched those matches should know this. He was atrocious.
Leg side filth that should absolutely disgust off spinners around the world. My captain would have knocked my teeth out multiple times in street cricket if I bowled absolute filth like that day after day.