• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Any updates on NZ's tour of Oz later this year?

Spark

Global Moderator
Mitchell Johnson would be even worse at full pace. People have already talked about how difficult they find his trajectory to pick up at first.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Mitchell Johnson would be even worse at full pace. People have already talked about how difficult they find his trajectory to pick up at first.
Teams will look to bat at a furious clip during the daylight sessions, then maybe declare and have the opposition bat under lights.
I just see this being a farce. It'll distort the normal flow of the game. It's clear that the pink ball is too hard to pick-up under lights, they've developed a pink ball so that it looks like test cricket still....it'll the the worst of both worlds, just claytons test cricket. They'd be better off using a white ball if they are determined to go down this road.
It'll be the worlds 2nd ranked test team against the 3rd ranked.....isn't that enough to get decent crowds turning up without having to take the enormous risk of an official test degenerating into a farce?
Why not do this to the Boxing Day test against the Windies, if it has to happen? Three days of day/night test cricket for the Melbournians to enjoy.....maybe even 2, if the wickets are falling thick and fast in the night session/s.

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm actually in favour of it mind you. The problems cited thus far are in the "to be worked on" category rather than "insurmountable" category, and anything that makes Tests more commercially viable is a good thing in my book.

If teams do end up having to plan around sessions, that might end up adding an interesting new tactical element to the game.

(ps. there is no such thing as the "normal flow of the game")

Last edited:

Skyliner

International 12th Man
(ps. there is no such thing as the "normal flow of the game")
I mean in terms of someone wins the toss and either tries to make use of favourable conditions and bowl the opposition out quickly, or bat first and try and rack up a big score - etc and so on and so forth. There is a pattern over 5 days that roughly conforms to test cricket as we know and love it. Captains making decisions based on a belief that the opposition will struggle to see the ball is not a positive development in the evolution of the game in my opinion. If batsmen lose the ball completely or a fielder gets hit in the head by a falling ball that he couldn't see, the game will quickly degenerate into a farce. That is my fear.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I'm in favour of day/night test cricket.

Not everywhere of course.

But I think they are rushing this. Like how about NZ get some of their own day/night FC trials in before learning all about it in a test match.

As for the overall motion of night cricket. It's all about the ball though - not the conditions (except for places with too much dew). I'm not worried if a night session is tough to bat in. Good, I ****ing hate batsmen. Just like a first session on a green top, or when the clouds roll in in England.

If I wanted to watch batting then I'd choose to watch ODIs.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
I'm in favour of day/night test cricket.

Not everywhere of course.

But I think they are rushing this. Like how about NZ get some of their own day/night FC trials in before learning all about it in a test match.

As for the overall motion of night cricket. It's all about the ball though - not the conditions (except for places with too much dew). I'm not worried if a night session is tough to bat in. Good, I ****ing hate batsmen. Just like a first session on a green top, or when the clouds roll in in England.

If I wanted to watch batting then I'd choose to watch ODIs.
I am worried about the ball being difficult to see, not just from the point of view of batting but from the point of view of catching and fielding as well. Even though pink, the ball seems dark pink at that and from what I've seen it's tough to see. I don't have any issue with day / night test cricket, I just don't want to see it become dangerous or a farce.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Australian coach Darren Lehmann throws weight behind day-night Test cricket as announcement looms

The pink-ball Test, slated for Adelaide in November between Australia and the Black Caps, is tipped to be confirmed as part of the summer scheduling announcement on Tuesday, with CA intent on pushing it through and New Zealand Cricket, wanting to secure more regular matches against their more wealthy geographical rivals, a willing partner in the project despite the vocal opposition of their players.

The concept stands to be the centrepiece of a new seven-year agreement between CA and NZC that will see the countries play far more regularly in Test series and in one-dayers for the Chappell-Hadlee Trophy. It's an alliance that is even more significant for the Kiwis, whose revenue is only a fraction of Australia's and whose players are paid substantially less. So while they've argued against the merits of playing Test cricket at night, for the Black Caps players an anticipated pay rise may well sweeten the deal.

- CA to release fixture list tomorrow.
- CA and NZC have a new seven year agreement.

Last edited:
Shouldn't the day night test be at the SCG if they're going to use a pink ball?

If i was Glen Mcgrath, I would be outraged.

Do pink balls swing?

Best bad pun to do with pink balls wins. Not really my field of expertise. Nominations welcome.

Last edited:

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Shouldn't the day night test be at the SCG if they're going to use a pink ball?

If i was Glen Mcgrath, I would be outraged.

Do pink balls swing?

Best bad pun to do with pink balls wins. Not really my field of expertise. Nominations welcome.
I don't care where they play the pink ball test, but I am stoked that the CA fixture list comes out tomorrow. Means I can start planning the trip to Aus.

I don't care where they play the pink ball test, but I am stoked that the CA fixture list comes out tomorrow. Means I can start planning the trip to Aus.
Great for you. I hope you have a fantastic time. No sarcasm.

The advantage of a pink ball test, is that NZ'ers will be able to watch far more of the match after work. As a fan to merely watch cricket, its good. If Boult gets the ball to talk a different language, its even better. If Starc does, that could be another story.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Still no news on Boult. That probably means they are getting second opinions. Which isn't a good sign.

Still no news on Boult. That probably means they are getting second opinions. Which isn't a good sign.
Or it means he and NZC have no interest in him seeing Zimbabwe with the precious test series next summer. They might plan for him to give Brendon some throwdowns over the winter. You may be getting your very wish.

I'd like to see him in SA. But I agree with you, it is more important that he is fit and raring to go in the day night test.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So, a wonderful deal of 10 Tests and 8 Chappell-Hadlee series over 7 years. Given there's 5 Tests in the next year and the seven year line was trotted out, I'm guessing we won't play Australia for... Oooooh.... Six years after this set of Tests.

Dropped a Test for 3 ODIs despite basically guaranteeing a Chappell-Hadlee series each year over the contract. It's the hypocrisy which gets me riled up the most. We want more Tests! Shout NZC. Ah, but we'll sacrifice one to squeeze in some more ODIs which we're going to have plenty of anyway.

#WhiteOut

Flem274*

123/5
Bingo. Snd instead of the world #4 getting the boxing day test the windies get it and we're day night guinea pigs.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Gabba test starts 5 Nov, then Perth for test starting 13 Nov, then Adelaide for day/night test staring 27 Nov.

$1 million in prize money on the line for the series.

Last edited:

Skyliner

International 12th Man
So, a wonderful deal of 10 Tests and 8 Chappell-Hadlee series over 7 years. Given there's 5 Tests in the next year and the seven year line was trotted out, I'm guessing we won't play Australia for... Oooooh.... Six years after this set of Tests.

Dropped a Test for 3 ODIs despite basically guaranteeing a Chappell-Hadlee series each year over the contract. It's the hypocrisy which gets me riled up the most. We want more Tests! Shout NZC. Ah, but we'll sacrifice one to squeeze in some more ODIs which we're going to have plenty of anyway.

#WhiteOut
By doing the deal now for 5 tests in 6 years, White has signalled that he doesn't think NZ are much chop at test cricket. Because if we were to beat Australia or at least be highly competitive in the up-coming series's, our bargaining position and credibility would have been even stronger. So clearly White is all about ODI cricket.

Effectively we are not playing anymore test cricket against Australia, a second batch of 5 tests means a another 2 test series at home against them in around 2022. That's actually less test cricket, given that we were playing 3 test series's at home against them in the recent past, until White started scrapping tests to play ODI's.

But White is not trumpeting to anyone with a brain who can see this sham announcement for what it is, he is pitching to the compliant media and sheeples out there who take what he says at face value and will probably see this as a triumph for NZC.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I wouldn't necessarily jump to conclusions about there being a massive gap between the Aus and NZ test series. Given that Australia and NZ generally like to have teams tour on a roughly 4 yearly cycle, that could just mean that there'll be another home and away series in 2019/20, which would mean that any subsequent series would fall outside the 7 year time-table. It's also worth remembering that it isn't a one-way street. The biggest reason why NZ have so few tests scheduled over the next 5 years is because nobody is having us over to tour. We all remember the grumblings the PCB made last year about how little money there was to be made from series against NZ. Sri Lanka Cricket, the WICB and South Africa all feel the same. Now opinions might change going forward, but the problem is that these schedules are set down years in advance and it's really difficult to change them in response to short term upswings in team form. That was the good thing about the old FTP - it made sure that everyone got at least a decent amount of test cricket, even if it did favour the big countries more.

100% agree though about the axing of the 3rd home test for the CH when that looks like it'll be happening every year for the next 7 years anyway.

Last edited: