• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in the West Indies 2015

Niall

International Coach
Has Gayle shown any interest in being something other than a T20 whore? Even Devon Smith is a better option than the rest.

Nobody knows. You'd assume if he truly didn't want to play test cricket he would have retired it from now, what would he have to lose? He makes fortunes on the t20 circuit and a 35 year old retiring who has a bad back from the longer format isn't the most bizarre thing really. I am only speculating, I think he would play some more tests but they all seem to clash with t20 contracts. Best of luck asking him to drop his Big Bash contract for the West Indies tour of Australia. :laugh:

Flametree

International 12th Man
Have Roach and Taylor ever bowled well in the same test match? Seems like every time one of them gets 3-50 from 25 overs or better, the other is going for 0-100 off 20.

I agree with Beamer, if your batsmen are rubbish, and they seem to be, then you might as well get rid of one of them and play a fifth bowler with allrounders at 6+8. I assume it would be the other Brathwaite, or else come back Darren Sammy, all is forgiven?

howardj

International Coach
Chappell's great oversight in that article is naming the players who are young and should be included in the test team. Oh, that's right, he doesn't name them because they aren't around.
Burns for one. It's criminal, after successive 50s, that he missed the squad altogether. Turning to his broader point...what good came of Quney, Cowan, North etc? It's not that they're old, it's just at that age there's minimal scope for improvement

Niall

International Coach
Have Roach and Taylor ever bowled well in the same test match? Seems like every time one of them gets 3-50 from 25 overs or better, the other is going for 0-100 off 20.

I agree with Beamer, if your batsmen are rubbish, and they seem to be, then you might as well get rid of one of them and play a fifth bowler with allrounders at 6+8. I assume it would be the other Brathwaite, or else come back Darren Sammy, all is forgiven?
Sammy wouldn't add much with the ball would he though? Not looked much cop in the last few years when he bowled, Carlos is the obvious choice, Dwayne did an interview the other week where he seemed to distance himself from the test side and WICB so don't think he will be back.

I said a few days ago, they could have a look at Super Andre, but sadly doubts over his fitness and interest in playing test cricket.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Burns for one. It's criminal, after successive 50s, that he missed the squad altogether. Turning to his broader point...what good came of Quney, Cowan, North etc? It's not that they're old, it's just at that age there's minimal scope for improvement
That's not even remotely accurate

Niall

International Coach
Finally, they have to give holder more responsibility as a batsman and therefore boost the attack. He is such a talent and can handle it. We need 5 bowlers, you can't have Kraigg bowling 20 overs I an innings, it's ludicrous. Bring in Carlos Braithwaite for one of the young batsmen.

I'd go further than that, give him the captaincy, you really think he could be any worse than bloody Ramdin?

Another reason to give it to Holder, its another reason that may stop him going to the IPL next year as I'd assume again your tests will coincide it.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Why was't Voges selected earler? Complete numpties like Marcus North played so many test matches for Australia.

Last edited:

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Darshes most recent return to the team was also arguably at Voges expense. He was scoring more runs but was seen more of a 1 day player. Whereas the selectors picked Darsh as soon as they had an excuse.

Top_Cat

Why was't Voges selected earler? Complete numpties like Marcus North played so many test matches for Australia.
Because North was far better. Voges averaged mid-to-low 30s for WA for 10 years whereas North averaged a good 10 runs better, was generally in the top 10 run-scorers most years, was better at A-team level and, I might add, also scored a debut Test ton against a far better attack.

Marcuss North was originally picked as a spin bowling allrounder iirc.
Nah, bowling was a handy addition. Was on the cusp of selection for years but was always competing with Langer, Hayden and Elliott. Just bad luck.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Because North was far better. Voges averaged mid-to-low 30s for WA for 10 years whereas North averaged a good 10 runs better, was generally in the top 10 run-scorers most years, was better at A-team level and, I might add, also scored a debut Test ton against a far better attack.

Nah, bowling was a handy addition. Was on the cusp of selection for years but was always competing with Langer, Hayden and Elliott. Just bad luck.
Was just about to post exactly these two responses then scrolled down and saw this

adub

International Captain
Exactly, Voges was never more than just a Shield player for long time. North was a consistently good Shield batsman. Not a star, but solid low 40s for a long time. (actually quite similar numbers for WA as Hussey). It's only in the last two years that Voges has really stepped it up to be top shelf (and even in 13/14 North scored waaaay more heavily). North's rocks and diamonds test career was a bit of a shame, because he was a pretty handy player. If he could have scored a few more 30s instead of single figures he'd be remembered much better. Voges has definitely earned a call up with the team as it is in 2015, but if a few more young guys were bashing down the door he never would have played a test and no one would think anything of it. Dave Hussey and even guys like Maxy Klinger would have been more unlucky to not play tests than Voges without his current run of god mode form.

Riggins

International Captain
Imagine a world in which making a 50 gets you an Ashes spot.
Also the way burns has been handled is kinda what the old **** always bangs on about. Picked while he's young, didn't come in and light the world up and so was dropped to go and get better. It actually working would be the worst.