• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dwayne Smith

masterblaster

International Captain
Certainly very talented, could go a long way...

His FC record isnt all too good however, and he might be a one season sparkler.

Hopefully for the West Indies cause, they can spring up another youth sensation.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Gut feelings:

Good eye, hits it well, nothing more I don't think.

Likely to crash and burn when the ball starts moving around.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scored about the worst chanceless century I've ever seen on his Test debut.
Practically every shot in the air.
Kallis especially had understandible delight on dismissing him in the first-innings of The Fourth Test. And it was understandible because it really is quite outrageous that Smith managed to last as long as he did playing like he did.
How he manages to miss the fielders as often as he does I don't know - the same clearly has not happened in domestic First-Class cricket.
Hence I don't see how it's likely to happen for a lengthy period in Test-matches. If it does continue he's going to be one of the best players in the game's history.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I said it before his debut and I stand by it now. Dwayne Smith is not a Test standard batsman.

twctopcat

International Regular
Still can't argue with a century on debut.There were quite a few wild ones i agree, but alot of pure ones also. You do get that coming up against the south african bowling attack however, they're no mugs to say the least.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Richard said:
Scored about the worst chanceless century I've ever seen on his Test debut.
Practically every shot in the air.
Kallis especially had understandible delight on dismissing him in the first-innings of The Fourth Test. And it was understandible because it really is quite outrageous that Smith managed to last as long as he did playing like he did.
How he manages to miss the fielders as often as he does I don't know - the same clearly has not happened in domestic First-Class cricket.
Hence I don't see how it's likely to happen for a lengthy period in Test-matches. If it does continue he's going to be one of the best players in the game's history.

Thats basically what I wanted to say, but didnt in case I got shot down... Thanks..

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The reason why Dwayne Smith plays the way he does is quite unorthodox to say the least. The club that he plays for in Barbados (same one Sherwin Campbell came from I believe) has such short boundaries that to hit a four, you have to hit a six.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Must be short!!

However ive hit a couple of fours with flourished forward defensive strokes at grounds down here... Not ideal breeding ground for international cricketers though...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Must be short!!

However ive hit a couple of fours with flourished forward defensive strokes at grounds down here... Not ideal breeding ground for international cricketers though...
Some of the "grounds" in England are, quite simply, a disgrace.
Many grounds I play on are not fit for cricket of any sort (and I'm about the lowest of the low...) and some county grounds, both major and out grounds (Taunton and Abergavenney spring first to mind) are not fit for top-level cricket.
It's as ludicrous as the paucity of sightscreens. Some of the grounds I play at have better sightscreens than international grounds in Australia. And how much does a decent sighscreen cost? Most tallish bowlers can get an arm over almost any screen anywhere, and going wide of the crease can get it out, too.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've played there once and if you ask me it was above-standard for third-XI cricket.
Probably perfect for first-XI and county second-XI cricket.