• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ganguly to Gilchrist- you're not as innocent as you look

V Reddy

International Debutant
The one thing i like about the Indians on this tour has been that they were able to reply and irritate the Aussies.It used to be so one sided in previous tours . This article is from a local newspaper and so typed it myself. Will try to find an online link of the same article.

It was not all camaraderie in the last match of the cricket series with Indian skipper Sourav Ganguly being sledged by Aussie speedster Brad Williams during the tri-series final here today.

Williams started to abuse Ganguly from the moment he came out to bat and it was hard enough for the Indian captain to draw the attention of his counterpart Ricky Ponting before he took guard in the middle.

"From the time I walked out of Sydney gates till I reached the middle, it kept going. (I spoke to Ponting) because I didn't want it to start all over again... I didn't want to blow it out of proportion."

But it was not as if only India were at the receiving end as their young paceman Irfan Pathan was all fire himself, consistently having a go at Matthew Hayden and clapping in the face of Damien Martyn after he got him out, forcing the batsman to complain to the umpire before he left the ground.

Though Hayden did not want to comment on the incident, Ganguly was more forthcoming.

"I keep telling my boys that everytime they get aggressive, my match fees get deducted. I keep telling them to be careful because at this rate I might land up with no money after this tour," he said in a lighter vein.

The bantering was on throughout the series and Indians found Adam Gilchrist and Matthew Hayden, two cricketers with the clean cut image, quite a mouthful behind the stumps.

Ganguly, apparently retorted once to Gilchrist after one of his constant chatters "you're not as innocent as you look".

Langeveldt

Soutie
What was that today with Pathan and Damien Martyn.???

Always good to see a bit of needle in the middle.. but I dont think Pathan should be having a go at a guy who has achieved 10X more than him...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Langeveldt said:
What was that today with Pathan and Damien Martyn.???

Always good to see a bit of needle in the middle.. but I dont think Pathan should be having a go at a guy who has achieved 10X more than him...
All Pathan did was smile silly and clap. He didnt even utter a word. I thought the reaction of Martyn was quite uncalled for and so was that of the umpire.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Pratyush said:
All Pathan did was smile silly and clap. He didnt even utter a word. I thought the reaction of Martyn was quite uncalled for and so was that of the umpire.

So you are drawing a line which begins when talking is involved?? By that logic i could make any gesture at a batsman when i got him out?? And as long as i said nothing, it wouldnt matter??

Anyway it livened up another typically dour Martyn knock lol :lol:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Langeveldt said:
So you are drawing a line which begins when talking is involved?? By that logic i could make any gesture at a batsman when i got him out?? And as long as i said nothing, it wouldnt matter??

Anyway it livened up another typically dour Martyn knock lol :lol:
Its stupid to say a word to the batsman when he is out or show his way to the pavilion. Pathan's was not some thing disgracing the batsman I thought. It just got into the head of Maryn coz he was flustered at being out I thought.

Also I found it quite funny for the umpire to start advising Pathan on how to behave and nothing said to Martyn who was moving his hands all over to the umpire at the 'gestures' of Pathan.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Pratyush said:
and nothing said to Martyn who was moving his hands all over to the umpire at the 'gestures' of Pathan.

I think Martyn was well within his rights to kick up a fuss.... Pathan was all over him, he shouldnt have taken it, especially from a youngster...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Langeveldt said:
I think Martyn was well within his rights to kick up a fuss.... Pathan was all over him, he shouldnt have taken it, especially from a youngster...
Rubbish. I don't see Martyn complaining when Lee & Williams are acting like four year olds, and Pathan's nothing like as bad (I assume - I mean, it's not a chainsaw, and it's not 4/200)

Langeveldt

Soutie
Neil Pickup said:
Rubbish. I don't see Martyn complaining when Lee & Williams are acting like four year olds, and Pathan's nothing like as bad (I assume - I mean, it's not a chainsaw, and it's not 4/200)
Okay they have given the odd batsman send offs, but ive never seen them come right up to a batsman for a one to one... Pathans effort was of almost Nelesque proportions...

Neil Pickup said:
That's right. There's nothing wrong with wanting less interaction like that on field, if you're like that, but you need some consistency. You can't dish it out and then not take it.

As for the chainsaw etc, I think it's good. :)

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
haha its a game, if you cant take abit of chatter go and play tennis :)

anyways with Gilly its his Duty to chat to the batsman, hes the wicket keeper :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Langeveldt said:
IIRC, Nel wasn't allowed to get away with that...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If Williams can do it, so can Pathan. Show consistency or don't do anything at all.

Martyn's complaint was weak and ridiculous. Why didn't he complain when Williams went right into Ganguly's face in the Brisbane match?

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Ah yes, Ganguly, that paragon of virtue!
What a hypocrite he must be to even speak about on-field behaviour - one of the games most hated players.......was it Fleming who delayed a declaration unneccesarily, saying "I did not want to lose to Sourav Ganguly"?

Pathan's send off of Martyn was juvenile and stupid - Martyn is not known as a sledger, and how can any bowler be ****y as his team is facing a 300+ score?

Anyway, Brad Williams gave Ganguly a massage on the field to make sure widdle diddums Gangers was ok!!!

Deja moo

International Captain
Ah yes, Ganguly, that paragon of virtue!
What a hypocrite he must be to even speak about on-field behaviour - one of the games most hated players.......was it Fleming who delayed a declaration unneccesarily, saying "I did not want to lose to Sourav Ganguly"?
What a hypocrite you are kenny, to post this!

The moment any Australian players are shown up for what they really are, you come up with this defensive post.

Pathan's send off of Martyn was juvenile and stupid - Martyn is not known as a sledger, and how can any bowler be ****y as his team is facing a 300+ score?
Juvenile and stupid? As opposed to the most cerebral send-offs' offered by Brad williams and Lee?

And I suppose That when Lee offers his send offs, having already given away 200 runs, then the score isnt over 300?

Kenny

U19 Debutant
I'm terribly sorry, but I have not seen Lee give any batsman a send off for a year or two, when he was fined for telling someone to '**** off'.......are you referring to the chainsaw?
What does that have to do with the batsman?

I've never seen Williams give anyone a send off.......Pathan was reprimanded, not Lee or Williams!

Kenny

U19 Debutant
orangepitch said:
The moment any Australian players are shown up for what they really are, you come up with this defensive post.
Sorry for misleading you, but that post certainly wasn't meant to be defensive -I have nothing to be defensive about....how is an Indian player being reprimanded 'showing up Australian players for what they really are' you silly twit?

Deja moo

International Captain
I've never seen Williams give anyone a send off.......Pathan was reprimanded, not Lee or Williams!

Where were you?

Brad williams getting into ganguly's face was in most of the threads here. Damn Ugly it was too ( or comical, depending on your view).

Lee does celebrate quite sickeningly for a bloke who has just taken a wicket after being hit for 200 runs.
But I'll give one thing though, that he doesnt rub it into the batsmans face like Williams does.

And thats excactly my point.... Pathan was reprimanded while Williams was not.