• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

tuffey vs harmison

whos better?

• Tuffey(NZ)

Votes: 23 56.1%
  • Harmison(ENG)

Votes: 18 43.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Loony BoB said:
Haha, someone's held a thread-grudge. :D

My first real read of the infamous Richard. Fun times. Oh, and the only reason I'm posting this is to say that "L****n" made me laugh.
Someone was just looking through the archives re: Rik and Harmison... it's amazing how many pro-Harmo posts there were around the Ashes...

Loony BoB

International Captain
I never get caugt up in the English fizzings - one year Anderson is the greatest thing to happen to English cricket and he's all over the papers, the next Harmison is. Can't say I'm not impressed with them, mind you. But you poms do take it to another level. :)

Suppose you could say the same for NZ and Bond, though. ;)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
It was quite refreshing reading some of the opinions from, well, really not very long ago at all.

It would be interesting to see a straw poll taken this week and compared to the pre-Windies one.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Everyone knows Harmison has fluked his way to no2 in the world. Its only a matter of time till he gets dropped from the england side altogether! :ph34r: :p

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Neil Pickup said:
Someone was just looking through the archives re: Rik and Harmison... it's amazing how many pro-Harmo posts there were around the Ashes...
And how we were shouted down!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
And how we were shouted down!
Justifiably so at the time, IIRC, but some could see an uncut diamond at times (witness the top Aussies he blew away, as opposed to the wides, no-balls etc). They weren't all flukes.

However, the coaching/correction to his action has made him into a much more compact bowler without dissipating the talent. The position at number 2 is a little flattering, but understandable with Warney being at the chemists for the last year, McGrath taking time out to practice for the Winter Olympics, that sort of thing.

It also helps to have decent bowlers at the other end

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
Going by the poll, people think Tuffey is a better bowler.
Remember that this poll was started before the West Indies v England series, and that this site has a large population of southern hemisphere members.

Harmison is fast catching up, though. Must be sheep-dipping time in New Zealand.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Tuffey by a huge margin and stats have nothing to do with it.

I am surprised the votin is only 58% in favour of Tuffey though.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
Is taking digs at us Antipedians your favourite pastime? :laugh: :laugh:
Not at all, Craig. I'm having a day
where many of the things I say
will be made in rhyme
but not all of the time.
In fact, this line's an example of that.

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
SJS said:
Tuffey by a huge margin and stats have nothing to do with it.

I am surprised the votin is only 58% in favour of Tuffey though.
I think I can answer your point
without having to resort to rhyme.
Your New Zealand fan
knows as much about cricket
as I do about writing limericks.

Craig

World Traveller
luckyeddie said:
I think I can answer your point
without having to resort to rhyme.
Your New Zealand fan
knows as much about cricket
as I do about writing limericks.
:laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Of his 72 test wickets, Harmison has 41 against WIndies, Zimbabwe and BDesh in 7 tests at under 14 each. And Windies have one of the worst batting records in recent years.

His other 31 wickets cost him nearly 40 runs apiece. Suggest we see more of him against the top bowlers in the world before we proclaim him as world class.

One understands Englands paucity of bowling class and hence the desperation to blood heroes but still....

PY

International Coach
SJS said:
Of his 72 test wickets, Harmison has 41 against WIndies, Zimbabwe and BDesh in 7 tests at under 14 each. And Windies have one of the worst batting records in recent years.

His other 31 wickets cost him nearly 40 runs apiece. Suggest we see more of him against the top bowlers in the world before we proclaim him as world class.

One understands Englands paucity of bowling class and hence the desperation to blood heroes but still....
You make a good point so I'll forgive the snipe at England. :p

I think that you will find that any self-respecting English fan (Marc and Neil don't count ;)) will say that we don't proclaim him to be the real deal quite yet but the improvement has been astronomical and that has shown in his figures. Agreed, he needs to prove it against top sides but all we ask is that people judge him on his performances now rather than pre-'04 which while showing glimpses of talent are nowhere near where he is now.

One almost might say that Steve Harmison Mark 2 has been released and should be rated on it's performance rather than it's predecessor.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
PY said:
You make a good point so I'll forgive the snipe at England. :p

I think that you will find that any self-respecting English fan (Marc and Neil don't count ;)) will say that we don't proclaim him to be the real deal quite yet but the improvement has been astronomical and that has shown in his figures. Agreed, he needs to prove it against top sides but all we ask is that people judge him on his performances now rather than pre-'04 which while showing glimpses of talent are nowhere near where he is now.

One almost might say that Steve Harmison Mark 2 has been released and should be rated on it's performance rather than it's predecessor.
I will concede that. He was not all over the place as one had seen earlier.

I do feel with his action as it is, he will find it difficult to last and will be highly prone to injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.