• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

IPL 2015 Thread

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I mean, next game Narine comes on to bowl his first delivery, rolls his sleeve up to his shoulders and bowls the most perfect classical off break.

What's the umpire gonna do? No ball a legitimate delivery? Act in contempt of the laws of cricket?

How does this even work? They could force Narine off the field, but what's the status of the delivery he's just bowled? Does the scorecard show that he was ******ed off the field for bowling a legitimate off break?

indiaholic

International Captain
I think they are going to take a 'guilty unless proven innocent under laboratory conditions' approach with Narine.

Stapel

International Regular
I mean, next game Narine comes on to bowl his first delivery, rolls his sleeve up to his shoulders and bowls the most perfect classical off break.

What's the umpire gonna do? No ball a legitimate delivery? Act in contempt of the laws of cricket?

How does this even work? They could force Narine off the field, but what's the status of the delivery he's just bowled? Does the scorecard show that he was ******ed off the field for bowling a legitimate off break?
That's what I was wondering too. It's really an unworkable situation.

cnerd123

likes this

While I like where you are going with this theoretically, I think realistically what would happen in this case is that he is allowed to keep bowling. The ban extends to offbreaks bowled with his current action or one that resembles it. If he turns up next games and bowls with a complete different -and legitimate looking- action, I don't think they will stop him from bowling.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
While I like where you are going with this theoretically, I think realistically what would happen in this case is that he is allowed to keep bowling. The ban extends to offbreaks bowled with his current action or one that resembles it. If he turns up next games and bowls with a complete different -and legitimate looking- action, I don't think they will stop him from bowling.
Opens up a can of worms then doesn't it? If the off break is only banned for a particular action, can Narine happily come out in every match with a different action than the one he used before? Will the BCCI and Narine be stuck in an infinite loop where they keep banning a delivery and Narine trolls them by bowling that delivery with a new action every game? How on earth does this **** work?

The umpire on field is going to be ****ting bricks. He'll have no idea what to do if Narine bowls a proper off break. I bet he'll just no ball him anyway.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The discussion is a bit moot anyway. Narine bowling a legitimate off break is so far beyond even the wildest extremes of possibility it's probably not worth thinking about.

cnerd123

likes this
Opens up a can of worms then doesn't it? If the off break is only banned for a particular action, can Narine happily come out in every match with a different action than the one he used before? Will the BCCI and Narine be stuck in an infinite loop where they keep banning a delivery and Narine trolls them by bowling that delivery with a new action every game? How on earth does this **** work?

The umpire on field is going to be ****ting bricks. He'll have no idea what to do if Narine bowls a proper off break. I bet he'll just no ball him anyway.
Like I said, depends on the action.

If it still looks dodgy; they will no-ball him.

If he imitates Lyon or Swann and bowls a perfect orthodox offbreak, they'll let him go.

Don't think it's that confusing tbh. I think it would be downright ridiculous if the BCCI insist on outright banning Narine from bowling any offbreak. So what, any ball that moves from off to leg is now banned?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
The discussion is a bit moot anyway. Narine bowling a legitimate off break is so far beyond even the wildest extremes of possibility it's probably not worth thinking about.
Yeah, what the IPL governing body should have done was bar him from playing entirely. That would have been the sensible approach.

But then KKR probably objected because they didn't want to lose their star bowler, and the IPL gb came up with this troll of a compromise that effectively renders him useless to the team. Would be pretty interesting to see if KKR call their bluff and play him anyway. They would have a pretty strong case if he manages to bowl off breaks legitimately, because the IPL can't call him off without being in direct contravention of the laws of the game. Would be a glorious ****storm worth watching. The Chappell underarm delivery of the IPL.

Last edited:

Antihippy

International Debutant
He just needs to get more body rotation into his action really. If it's not his variations that's causing him the trouble than it just seems like he's not getting enough energy through his action to get the nip and turns he wants, and is reliant of the elbow to create the pace and rotations.

Easier said than done of course when it comes to adapting a new action.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
He just needs to get more body rotation into his action really. If it's not his variations that's causing him the trouble than it just seems like he's not getting enough energy through his action to get the nip and turns he wants, and is reliant of the elbow to create the pace and rotations.

Easier said than done of course when it comes to adapting a new action.
Yeah, think this is definitely the case. Ashwin rectified his action by modelling it to be more similar to Narine's, but the difference is that Ashwin has a lot more pivot off the foot while Narine just runs in and doesn't use his body at all.