• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kyle Mills retires from all cricket

vandem

International 12th Man
Great ODI bowler.

Always thought he had more to offer as a test 3rd seamer, but injuries didn't help. Would have liked more performances like this: 2nd Test: New Zealand v West Indies at Wellington, Mar 17-20, 2006 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Test highlight would be win over Eng at Hamilton, most commentators thought spinners would need to bowl Eng out on the last day, but great swing bowling from Mills had Eng 4-30 and the match was won. 1st Test: New Zealand v England at Hamilton, Mar 5-9, 2008 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

FC highlight would be batting in his 3rd season, 2000-01, 606 runs avge 86, one 100 and six 50s. Average helped by 6 not outs from 13 innings. His average was over 100 for Auckland, but had a late season duck for NZ A vs Pak to drop it below 100. The Home of CricketArchive

ODI highlights, too many to mention, may post later.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Congrats Mills on a wonderful career. He won me over after I thought he was a terrible bowler early on (perhaps in days when I was less forgiving with opinions too :happy:). Became a very good ODI bowler and I was never surprised to see a new ball wicket with that little bit of extra bounce off a length, high on the bat and caught behind the wicket.

I did feel for him that he didn't get a game in the world cup - it must be weird to be part of something so huge and important, but also not really part of it. That's team sport, though it's also unfortunate. Good luck to him in his future endeavours.

Greenlite

U19 Debutant
Millsy memory - 2004 (2005?) series vs SA at home, Michael Mason destroying their top order, Millsy the newbie bowling at Kallis/Pollock in the final over with 24 and 27 runs in the bank in consecutive games, and held on for the wins by a couple of runs each time, phew.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Excellent ODI bowler. My favourite memory of him is Pollock smashing him for 3 sixes in the final over of an ODI when they needed something like 25. Needed another six off the final ball and Mills bowled a perfect yorker and collapsed into his teammates arms in relief. Was a great visual.

Edit: didn't see the post above me :p

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
A real shame he didn't get a game in the World Cup but there is no shame in losing out to the greatest new ball pair in our history. Definitely one of our ODI ATGs.

thierry henry

International Coach
Should have played throughout the World Cup, should have....a lot of stuff. Perennially under-rated, wasn't nearly as bad a test bowler as people make out and was never properly respected as an ODI bowler.

11 years ago he bowled a couple of bad death overs in games we still ended up winning and somehow that's the go-to memory people have of him. His biggest crime is probably that rather than winning us games with freakish spells of bowling he tended to contribute in fine but understated style to good wins.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
retiring before he could get called on chucking, smart move.

i should probably stop mentioning that again and again hey

cnerd123

likes this
No too surprised that he has retired. Would have been nice if he could have gotten a farewell game in the WC but it wasn't to be. NZ ODI ATG.

JediNudist

U19 Debutant
Kyle Mills definitely one of NZs better ODI bowlers. Too bad he didn't get a game in the world cup which shows the bowling depth NZ has now. No.1 in the world for 08/09 season I think. Finished with a bowling very good ODI average of 27. Batting average is surprising at 15. I would have thought slightly higher.

Last edited:

Greenlite

U19 Debutant
National Bank is way better than ANZ, they design proper jerseys and don't sneak hidden fees out of your account