• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection thread 2015/16

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Crazy to think none of Warner, Rogers, Clarke, Haddin, Johnson or Harris are there. Whole Ashes winning and No1 core missing in 18 months.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Tasmania fast bowler Andrew Fekete is a surprise inclusion in Australia's Test squad for the upcoming tour of Bangladesh, which also features the uncapped Western Australia opener Cameron Bancroft. Adam Voges has been named as vice-captain to Steven Smith in a 15-man squad for the two Test tour next month.

Full report to follow

Australia Test squad Steven Smith (capt), Adam Voges (vice-capt), Cameron Bancroft, Joe Burns, Patrick Cummins, Andrew Fekete, Usman Khawaja, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Shaun Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Peter Nevill, Stephen O'Keefe, Peter Siddle, Mitchell Starc

Voges VC for Bangladesh!

Red

Batsmen:

Burns
Bancroft
SMarsh
Khawaja
Smith
Voges

AR:
MMarsh
Maxwell

Quicks:

Starc
Siddle
Fekete
Cummins

Keeper:
Nevill

Spin:
O'Keefe
Lyon

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't see the point in continuing with Voges. He'll probably score runs against the crappy Bangas attack, bump his average up to 60 and despite a terrible Ashes will make himself impossible to drop. Being there for the "added experience" is silly IMO as he has hardly any at international level, also he's 36 in a few weeks. Time to blood Maxwell

Red

If he scores runs against Bangladesh, isn't that a good thing? :huh:

Red

I don't see the point in continuing with Voges. He'll probably score runs against the crappy Bangas attack, bump his average up to 60 and despite a terrible Ashes will make himself impossible to drop. Being there for the "added experience" is silly IMO as he has hardly any at international level, also he's 36 in a few weeks. Time to blood Maxwell
Regardless of his test experience, Voges is a highly experienced FC cricketer. Pretty sure that the selectors are going to be very conscious of the leadership burden on Smith over the next 12-24 months. The most dire thing that could happen is that he gets burnt out. So with Watson retired, and our actual new VC a bit of a tool, I reckon Voges is a lock for this home summer, just because he seems the sort of guy who can support Smith's decisions and give some feedback etc.

Surely Australia are going to put out our least experienced test XI in decades in this series?

Last edited:

Red

Andrew Fekete is the selection I don't understand. Guy is 30 and has played only 18 FC games.

Hardly tore it up for Australia A recently either.

What's he done? I don't know anything about him.

mr_mister

do you mean least experienced?

Eh I just don't see the point in picking 36 year olds. I know you're meant to pick your best side and all that but I think there's a line that needs to be drawn. I remember being shocked people even wanted Bryce McGain in the team when he was 36, think of the future!

Red

Eh I just don't see the point in picking 36 year olds. I know you're meant to pick your best side and all that but I think there's a line that needs to be drawn. I remember being shocked people even wanted Bryce McGain in the team when he was 36, think of the future!
Just think the biggest issue will be leadership support for Smith. I think if Clarke was still going and making runs we'd look for someone younger than Voges for Bangladesh but Smith has only played 30 tests and he is captain, and basically everyone in the squad apart from Siddle and Lyon are newbs to test cricket, or in and out players (SMarsh)

Niall

International Coach
Just think the biggest issue will be leadership support for Smith. I think if Clarke was still going and making runs we'd look for someone younger than Voges for Bangladesh but Smith has only played 30 tests and he is captain, and basically everyone in the squad apart from Siddle and Lyon are newbs to test cricket, or in and out players (SMarsh)
His innings on a spin pitch in first test against the West Indies when Bishoo was bossing it is another reason I'd have no issues with him in Bangladesh whatsoever.

Red

My ideal XI

Burns
Bancroft
Khawaja
Smith
Voges
Maxwell
Nevill
Starc
Siddle
Lyon
Cummins
Pretty much agree with this but I'd have Khawaja open and Burns at 3 I think.

They'll probably play Shaun Marsh instead of Bancroft tho. And if they play both Lyon and O'Keefe they'll probably play Mitch Marsh over Maxwell I think.

Thought Agar might've gone instead of O'Keefe for no reason other than he's a bit of a golden boy (and he's been bowling ok in the ODIs).

Is O'Keefe NSW's captain?

social

It is seriously hard to follow the logic of the Oz selectors

1. They pick Patto for a short-form tour despite the fact that he had no match fitness and isn't very good in that form of the game

2. They omit Patto from a test tour now that he has overs under his belt and despite him being very good in that form of the game

3. They continue to pick SMarsh for test tours despite the fact that he is a busted flush in that form of the game

4. They omit SMarsh from a short-form tour despite him being very good in that form of the game

5. They pick Fekete and omit Sandhu despite the latter having infinitely more potential and performing much better on the A tour

6. They pick Khawaja for a test tour despite the fact that he has barely scored a fc run in 18 months and that he is utter ****e against spin

7. They pick Bancroft despite the fact that he has had about 3 decent innings in his life

FMD, it really is blind-fold and dart board time

Red

It is seriously hard to follow the logic of the Oz selectors

1. They pick Patto for a short-form tour despite the fact that he had no match fitness and isn't very good in that form of the game

2. They omit Patto from a test tour now that he has overs under his belt and despite him being very good in that form of the game

3. They continue to pick SMarsh for test tours despite the fact that he is a busted flush in that form of the game

4. They omit SMarsh from a short-form tour despite him being very good in that form of the game

5. They pick Fekete and omit Sandhu despite the latter having infinitely more potential and performing much better on the A tour

6. They pick Khawaja for a test tour despite the fact that he has barely scored a fc run in 18 months and that he is utter ****e against spin

7. They pick Bancroft despite the fact that he has had about 3 decent innings in his life

FMD, it really is blind-fold and dart board time
I don't disagree with any of this, and especially agree regarding the non selection of Pattinson and the seemingly odd selection of Fekete.

In regards to the batting, I don't know what they could do differently apart from perhaps picking Klinger or Ferguson.