• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Kane Williamson Average Watch thread

Will Kane average 50 in both ODIs and Tests at some point before Feb 2017?

• Total voters

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Root needs to make a statement away. Good series in SA would be huge.

Mathews is easily the most underrated player on CW. Since taking the captaincy he has been an absolute gun.
Perhaps even more so in the eyes of the average commentary box/tv studio.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Interesting that everyone above Cook in those rankings had a higher peak than him too. You'd have thought in late 2011 or mid 2013 that Cook would have a pretty huge score. I guess it's probably easier for middle order players to go on more sustained Bradmanesq runs.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Interesting that everyone above Cook in those rankings had a higher peak than him too. You'd have thought in late 2011 or mid 2013 that Cook would have a pretty huge score. I guess it's probably easier for middle order players to go on more sustained Bradmanesq runs.
Yeah even when Cook was having his dream run he still had random **** tests like Perth 2010 or Trent Bridge 2011. Happens as an opener

Howe_zat

Audio File
To be fair, the batting rankings are usually pretty good as a snapshot.
I find they're really quite spot on for a 'who would you pick right now' sort of measure, especially when there's a big gap in the points, at the top end.

Lower down they mix up players on the up with players on their way down so it gets a little messier - e.g. Mohammed Hafeez is still a better ranked bowler than Mark Wood or Imran Tahir.

Edit: And Stuart Broad is ranked as a better batsman than Stiaan van Zyl

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I wonder if Kane an end up hitting 60

his slow start will probably hurt him a bit but he only seems to be getting better and better

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Nah come on. If you are to average 60 after a bad first few years you basically can't have rough patches. Top order batsmen have rough patches.

Gob

International Coach
I wonder if Kane an end up hitting 60

his slow start will probably hurt him a bit but he only seems to be getting better and better
Nah come on. If you are to average 60 after a bad first few years you basically can't have rough patches. Top order batsmen have rough patches.
Yeah there's a reason pretty much no batsmen average 60.
Ponting's average slumped to high 30's IIRC before making the 01 Headingley ton, got it pass 50 against India 03/04 and was above 60 2nd Innings of the Adelaide test 06. Definitely doable but yeah unlikely. Think Smith and Root might end up averaging above 60 for a while. Can defo see Smith's climbing above 60 this summer after feasting on the WI

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I see Smith getting out cheaply more often then I do Williamson tho atm

Granted I haven't seen too much of KW beyond this series but he looks to value his wicket a lot more than Smith, though to Smith's credit he has the skill to play like a cowboy