• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Let's say we get a new Bradman...what happens?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Shamelessly plagiarized from Wikipedia on how many standard deviations from the mean Bradman was - beyond any other sportsman in history.

AthleteSportStatisticStandard deviations
Don BradmanCricketBatting average4.4
PeléAssociation FootballGoals per game3.7
Ty CobbBaseballBatting average3.6
Michael JordanBasketballPoints per game3.4

"The statistics show that "no other athlete dominates an international sport to the extent that Bradman does cricket". In order to post a similarly dominant career statistic as Bradman, a baseball batter would need a career batting average of .392, while a basketball player would need to score an average of 43.0 points per game. The respective records are .366 and 30.1."
All the sports mentioned there have different roles.

I thought I would have a look at darts where all participants have the exact same aim (no pun intended.)

My maths isnt quite what it was but Phil Taylor has a 9 dart average 3 SD away from that of the professional dart player mean (players in past 35 years with over 20 pro appearances - there are 131 of them)

viriya

International Captain
I know it's not an exact conversion, but is there a rough rule of thumb for how those hourly rates might convert to strike rates?
I've calculated Test batting SRs of players with no balls faced data using minutes played and overall minutes to balls values for the innings to scale. Bradman's estimate is 60.96 - Lara/Hayden/Pietersen level, but since his era SR is lower, you could argue more like Sehwag/Gilly.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've calculated Test batting SRs of players with no balls faced data using minutes played and overall minutes to balls values for the innings to scale. Bradman's estimate is 60.96 - Lara/Hayden/Pietersen level, but since his era SR is lower, you could argue more like Sehwag/Gilly.
What's your estimate for guys like Compton, Hammond, etc? I'd say they'd be in the 45-55 range. They certainly had a reputation for scoring really quickly when in the mood.

viriya

International Captain
What does this mean?
For some players there are no balls faced data but there's minutes played data.. In those cases I use the overall overs bowled in the innings (which is always there) and the total minutes and scale the estimated balls faced per batsman.
If there's any balls faced data that would take priority of course.