• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank New Zealand's Top 5 Test Skippers (vote for number 1)

Best NZ test Captain

• Stephen Fleming

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • Brendon McCullum

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Geoffrey Howarth

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Jeremy Coney

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • John Wright

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Daniel Vettori

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Where do we stand on Ken Rutherford's captaincy (I started watching cricket full time from the 1993/94 tour of Australia) and why didn't he play post 1994/95? Too much baggage for Germon/Turner to deal with? Killed it in South Africa in the later part of the 1990s.
He was dropped from the side after the catastrophe that was the 94/95 season. He always saw himself as a bit of an outsider in NZC circles, and I think he felt that he'd been made a scapegoat for New Zealand's poor performances that year, so he left. To be fair, in ODI's at least, he probably was right (averaged nearly 40 in the busy 94/95 season). As a captain, I don't remember any obvious mistakes, but it's fairly clear from Chris Cairns biography that a lot of the younger players really didn't like him very much (they all saw him as having usurped Crowe's rightful place as the captain), and I don't think he ever really had the favour of the teams that he captained. It certainly didn't help that New Zealand were playing truly awful cricket at the time. I guess Rutherford's experience just goes to show what an incredible captain Baz is to have achieved such magnificent results from similar circumstances.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Random story. One of my best mates is a huge Ross Taylor fan, just loves him to bits. After that NZ win in SL back in 2013 he emailed me saying Ross is set to become NZ's best ever captain. I told him that was ridiculous.

One week later Rossco was sacked for Baz and I laughed in his face harder than anyone has ever done before.