• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2014-5

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
****ing lol saying there's no sledging culture in India. Decades ago, maybe. Slightly fewer number of players engaging in it compared to Australia, maybe. But it definitely exists, the only difference being that they tend to sledge each other in Hindi, and when a couple of them try to do it in English they aren't great at it.

cnerd123

likes this
........i don't remember him saying this at all
No reason to respect Johnson - Kohli | Cricket News | Australia v India | ESPN Cricinfo

It is funny. When you are on top you can sort of say anything you want. It's when the chips are down that you have got to stand up. Say what you have to say and then go out there and prove it. When we played in India there weren't so many words coming back from them. Which was surprising. We are two-nil down, we still took them on today, and showed what we can do with the bat, which is the character of this Indian team."

cnerd123

likes this
****ing lol saying there's no sledging culture in India. Decades ago, maybe. Slightly fewer number of players engaging in it compared to Australia, maybe. But it definitely exists, the only difference being that they tend to sledge each other in Hindi, and when a couple of them try to do it in English they aren't great at it.
I sledge a lot; and I've had players be legit angry at me after the match...like baying for my blood angry. I'd often be the noisiest player in either side; people swore in anger but I was often the only one to walk up and actually target certain players. I was also coached to never sledge. And this is all with Indians mind. So yea, my experiences tell me otherwise.

cnerd123

likes this
oh i just took that as a general extension of his two-nil down point rather than him prodding at our ****tiness in subcontinental conditions
I took it to mean that he feels its easy to sledge when you are winning, and that sledging and being aggressive even when losing is admirable and the Indian side should be lauded for that.

Which brings me back to my point - I don't feel this sledging and trash talking is coming out naturally like it does for the Aussies. It's definitely some sort of deliberate tactic or team strategy; one that seems as awful as the short ball plan.

Spark

Global Moderator
I took it to mean that he feels its easy to sledge when you are winning, and that sledging and being aggressive even when losing is admirable and the Indian side should be lauded for that.

Which brings me back to my point - I don't feel this sledging and trash talking is coming out naturally like it does for the Aussies. It's definitely some sort of deliberate tactic or team strategy; one that seems as awful as the short ball plan.
I certainly don't think Kohli needs any encouragement to get stuck in though

dognutz

U19 12th Man
True that India showed some fight today but once they got to a position where they could do some damage they lost quick wickets much like the first test. They can put their heads down and bat when totally out of range with nothing to lose but once they get a sniff and have a live chance they seem to choke - well that's my observation anyway

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
True that India showed some fight today but once they got to a positipm where they could do some damage they lost quick much like the first test. They can put their heads down and bat when totally out of range with nothing to lose but once they get a sniff and have a live chance they seem to choke - well that's my observation anyway
Eh dunno about that. You always sort of felt we were bowling well enough to take a few in a hurry once we got past that partnership (which was why those drops were so infuriating ofc)

Burgey

I recall about four weeks before his famous post-Sydney 07 "spirit of cricket" remarks, Anil Kumble abusing the living **** out of Md Yousuf in a test match and celebrating vociferously when it led to his dismissal. Plainly this was the fault of the sledging culture in Australian cricket.

OverratedSanity

I recall about four weeks before his famous post-Sydney 07 "spirit of cricket" remarks, Anil Kumble abusing the living **** out of Md Yousuf in a test match and celebrating vociferously when it led to his dismissal. Plainly this was the fault of the sledging culture in Australian cricket.
That's just India v Pak. Doesn't count.

Munaf Patel letting loose his entire repertoire of Hindi abuses at Hafeez after he played the dumbest shot in history in the WC semi of 2011 a far better example anyway.

dognutz

U19 12th Man
Eh dunno about that. You always sort of felt we were bowling well enough to take a few in a hurry once we got past that partnership (which was why those drops were so infuriating ofc)
were they ever!

Just to illustrate my point about choking/poor mental strength how crazy was it when ole mate (can't remember who) skied one, got dropped and instead of putting his head down, skied the very next ball and got out! If it were an Aussie, I'd probably be buying a new tv set by now

Burgey

That's just India v Pak. Doesn't count.

Munaf Patel letting loose his entire repertoire of Hindi abuses at Hafeez after he played the dumbest shot in history in the WC semi of 2011 a far better example anyway.
No, but it's plainly the fault of the australian sledging culture, as has been noted earlier in this thread

Spark

Global Moderator
were they ever!

Just to illustrate my point about choking/poor mental strength how crazy was it when ole mate (can't remember who) skied one, got dropped and instead of putting his head down, skied the very next ball and got out! If it were an Aussie, I'd probably be buying a new tv set by now
In fairness the bloke was on debut. Nerves clearly got to him.

Unless he was told to play that way, in which case Dhoni needs a head examination.