• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ganguly fined 80% of match fees

Warne is god

U19 12th Man
Ok here is my reply post:

First. I have absolutely no problem with any of the Indian players nor the team nor the country except Ganguly.

Second. All Ganguly does is go out there and try to be a hero, Sydney ODI as an example he opened the batting and was bowling in the death.

Third. Ganguly may have a lot of runs but when the pressure was on who has peformed better than the Waughs and Bevan?

Fourth. If your team needed Quick runs who would you like better to walk out next Ganguly or Gilly?

Reply with your thoughts

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Warne is god said:

First. I have absolutely no problem with any of the Indian players nor the team nor the country except Ganguly.

Second. All Ganguly does is go out there and try to be a hero, Sydney ODI as an example he opened the batting and was bowling in the death.

Third. Ganguly may have a lot of runs but when the pressure was on who has peformed better than the Waughs and Bevan?

Fourth. If your team needed Quick runs who would you like better to walk out next Ganguly or Gilly?

Reply with your thoughts
Ganguly is the captain. If he feels that he is the person (in a particular game) most suitable for bowling at the death, then what's wrong with that ? Its the captain's prerogative.
Its not as if Ganguly bowls at the death in every ODI -- he has often used Agarkar or Zaheer to do that. In the Adelaide ODI, he used Bangar (who is known for his calm temperament). If he wanted to be a hero, he could have bowled himself, but he didn't.

As for Ganguly not producing his runs under pressure, mate, you have only to look at the first test this summer. India 3-62 chasing 332 in the first test of a series with Tendulkar and Dravid back in the pavillion and the ball still moving around. Ganguly makes a hundred and basically inspires the more talented batsmen in the Indian side for the rest of the series.

Yeah Gilchrist scores his runs quicker than Ganguly but Ganguly is no slouch. Don't forget that Ganguly has a higher ODI average than Gilchrist and he has more centuries to his credit.
So Gilly gets runs quicker, Gangers gives u more runs.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Warne is god said:

Reply with your thoughts
Second - You are as wrong as it gets. He likes to open the batting b'coz he is a match winner there and averages around 46-48 opening. He sacrificed his opening spot though he was very successful there b'coz opening suits Sehwag's batting. If he was selfish he could have continued opening and no one would have criticized him b'coz Sehwag was not an opener. This is just one example.

Third - I would definately put him above Waughs when it comes to pressure situations. Look at Ganguly's record. He puts up telling performances opening when the team most needs it. Bevan is very good at motivating his tailenders to bat well and those Aussies tailenders have talent which other countries don't have. Do you think players like AA , Kumble and Nehra have the talent like Bichel , Warne , Lee, Gillespie to rotate the strike and keep it at 6 an over. I have seen many times too Bevan slowing down the runrate when Aus are in a good position to win and in the process end up losing. But would most often put Bevan above him.

Fourth - Gilly when the target is small and Ganguly when the target is big.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Thelwell said:
Ganguly is a good player but i dont believe he plays for the team, i think he's very selfish and only really plays for himself.
Wow ! and that's a conclusion that you can back up with some very great evidence I suppose ?? .... Ganguly is the most successful Indian captain, and I guess you reckon selfishness got him there...eh ? :O :O

Deja moo

International Captain
I really fail to see the point in comparing the Aussie players to Ganguly.....all players are different, and you any waay cant compare a 9000 run veteran to newcomers like clarke and symonds...

Ganguly cant play the hook well. ok. So I suppose that Bevan will be selected in the test team??

As for the comparison of averages, ask Bevan to open the innings, and watch his average plummet when he has to face the new ball..

You compare Gilly's strike rate to claim him a better bat than Ganguly....but gilly's SR is 95 whereas Shahid Afridi's SR is 103....so that makes Afridi a better batsman than Gilchrist by your logic...

As for comparing Clarke with Ganguly,it takes only a novice to note that Clarke cant be rated ahead of Ganguly at the moment based on the handful of matches he has played....Ganguly has an average of 43 playing Wasim, Donald,Glenn McGrath,Lee,Akhtar etc., whom has Clarke faced of note for you to involve him in this statistical exercise?

First of all, Symonds isn't a newcomer; he's played 86 games. Second, Bevan doesn't have a problem with the short ball. Maybe he did a while ago, I don't know, but he doesn't now. You want proof? Look at the hook shot he played off Blignaut that rocketed to the boundary. Third, nobody is saying strike rates alone will make one batsman better than the next. Gilchrist has an impact role, that's where his 35 average and 95 s/r are considered so important, whereas Afridi is a loose cannon. Your point with Clarke is valid, however.

shankar

International Debutant
furious_ged said:
Second, Bevan doesn't have a problem with the short ball. Maybe he did a while ago, I don't know, but he doesn't now. You want proof? Look at the hook shot he played off Blignaut that rocketed to the boundary.
Just the way he played 1 ball is not proof enough...Why isnt he in the test team if he can play short-pitched bowling well?

Because there is a perception, among people like you, that he can't.

Listen mate, one ball is plenty of proof. You say he can't play short bowling? Well, I've seen him do it. That's it.

I don't like Bevan, I don't think he should be in the test team either, but there's no problem with the short sh*t.

V Reddy

International Debutant
furious_ged said:
First of all, Symonds isn't a newcomer; he's played 86 games. Second, Bevan doesn't have a problem with the short ball. Maybe he did a while ago, I don't know, but he doesn't now. You want proof? Look at the hook shot he played off Blignaut that rocketed to the boundary. Third, nobody is saying strike rates alone will make one batsman better than the next. Gilchrist has an impact role, that's where his 35 average and 95 s/r are considered so important, whereas Afridi is a loose cannon. Your point with Clarke is valid, however.
This is getting a bit silly,ged. The Aussies bowled a lot of short deliveries in the tests and most of the times he pulled the ball well except for that one which hit him due to invariable bounce. Does that mean he is a very player of bouncers? He plays to his strengths and that is the reason why he has such a great record :rolleyes: . You are very jocular if you think Symonds is comparable to Ganguly :lol: . Clarke IMO is a very good player but there is no way you can compare him to Ganguly at present.

shankar

International Debutant
furious_ged said:
Because there is a perception, among people like you, that he can't.

Listen mate, one ball is plenty of proof. You say he can't play short bowling? Well, I've seen him do it. That's it.

I don't like Bevan, I don't think he should be in the test team either, but there's no problem with the short sh*t.
I've not watched him closely in his recent innings...but SURELY the way he played one ball is not proof enough. If he knew the short ball was coming it's wouldnt have been very difficult to get it away.

Thelwell

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
aussie_beater said:
Wow ! and that's a conclusion that you can back up with some very great evidence I suppose ?? .... Ganguly is the most successful Indian captain, and I guess you reckon selfishness got him there...eh ? :O :O
i dont think its difficult to captain a team with as much talent in as india's. Past indian captains never had as much talent in as the current India team. The tendulkar, sehwag, dravid, laxman combination is the best india have seen for years.

This was something the late David Hookes said about steve waugh's achievements with the current crop of australian players, its not hard to captain a team full of pontings and mgraths.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Warne is god said:
I am sure you do. In fact every Aussie has a problem with him. After all he is the guy who stopped you at your Final Frontier and then went Down Under and defended the Trophy he won in India. :lol:

And what is wrong with that ?? IMO he is a good bowler and a World Class Batsman.

Bevan ?? :lol: The guy stuggles to score 10 runs in Test matches and you are comparing him to Gangs ?? How many times Bevan and Waugh have chased 280+ runs in ODIs ??

Ganguly - Any day. I would like to Gilly face a Quality attack. I hear he really chokes when he plays good bowling attacks like Pakistan and South Africa.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman and Ganguly were all here in the 99/2000 tour. Yes Laxman and Dravid have matured as players but they still had a large talent pool back on that tour.

Look at the bowlers this tour compared to last tour. Srinath and Prasad were very experienced. Currently Ganguly is captaining a team with Pathan and Balagi as 2 of their 3 strike bowlers. There is hardly any ODI experience there at all. Compare that with the initial bowlers India had which were injured, Zaheer and Harbahjan. For Ganguly to give them a fighting spirit which has not been in the Indian team for so long, is an accomplishment, with or without a batting line up which they currently have.

If you think it is easy to captain the Indian cricket team, you don't know much about Indian cricket.

Thelwell

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Sanz said:
I would like to Gilly face a Quality attack. I hear he really chokes when he plays good bowling attacks like Pakistan and South Africa.
You hear wrong my friend. Gilly took shoaib apart in the 99 WC.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Thelwell said:
You hear wrong my friend. Gilly took shoaib apart in the 99 WC.
Oh so you only remember World CUP ?? Here is Gilly's record against Pakistan in World Cup - 3 Matches - 55 Runs Avg. 18.33.

Btw - Shoaib Akhtar is Only one of the many Pakistani Bowlers.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Btw - I would love to see Gilly facing Bond. I remember Bond tortured Gilly in VB series.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Thelwell said:
i dont think its difficult to captain a team with as much talent in as india's. Past indian captains never had as much talent in as the current India team. The tendulkar, sehwag, dravid, laxman combination is the best india have seen for years.
You don't think captaining India is difficult ?? ....well you must be one hell of a leader to say that. India always had pretty good talent...the team that India had in the 1999 tour to Aus was pretty talented with all the guys that are big guns now, present in that team.... but the results are there for you to see. Don't underestimate the job of an Indian captain who leads a team of players coming from as diverse a background as anything you are ever going to see in the whole wide world.