• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time best player of all teams

iamdavid

International Debutant
Australia - Brett Lee (just gets in over Brendon Julian ;) )
India - Lakshmiapathy Balaji (I know I spelt it wrong)
New Zealand - Lee Germon
West Indies - Courtney Browne
Sri Lanka - Kumar Dharmasena
England - Ashley Giles (just getting in over Ronald Charles Irani)
Pakistan - Imran Nazir
Bangladesh - Khaled Muhmud
Zimbabwe - Blessing Mahwire wins hands down
South Africa - Mr Peterson

Although on second thoughts I will edit my list to include -
Bradman , Dev , Hadlee , Sobers , Murali , Hutton , Wasim Akram , Bashar , Flower , Kirsten.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
PY said:
True, true.:duh:

I am biased towards people who I have seen. But would it make you happy if I changed it? It's purely opinion based. You could argue for and against either of them and have a darn strong argument and a fair few others. ie Courtney and Curtly for example.
If possible, I have always found myself biased towards those I haven't seen.
Batsmen of the 1930s and 40s who averaged in the mid 50s on uncovered wickets simply must have been better than the flat-track, popgun-attack bullies of today. Especially given the respective standards of catching.
At least, that's my take.:D
You are quite right that once you get to a certain level it becomes very hard to differentiate between them. There's no real gap IMO between Ambrose, Walsh, Holding, Roberts and Garner.
And I've had to think long and hard about why I rate Marshall above them. It is perfectly possible that I was initially biased towards him because of the tragic circumstances. I've thought it through, though, and I'm sure he was something rather special.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
In cricket?

I fear you are mistaken.

IT Botham 5200 runs @ 33.54.

WG Grace 1098 runs @ 32.29.

W Rhodes 2325 runs @ 30.19.
:duh: Well, I did seem to remember Rhodes' average - only remember Grace's in FC cricket, though. Certainly remember Botham's.
I still think both were better batsmen than Botham, though; bowlers, of course, is more likely to be Botham.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Or is it the case that the reporting of dropped catches is now far more prevalent than the incidences of dropped catches?

I find it very hard to believe someone with little to no memory of cricket pre 90 can come out with something like this.
No, I've already mentioned this one - I have researched it very thoroughly. You don't need to have watched or experienced cricket to know about it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
No, I've already mentioned this one - I have researched it very thoroughly. You don't need to have watched or experienced cricket to know about it.
But you can only research what was reported!

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
India - Tendulkar, Gavaskar, Kapil
SL - Aravinda, Murali
Pakistan - Imran, Miandad
England - Botham, Hobbs(obviously haven't seen him play, but his first class records are quite incredible)
SA - Barry Richards, Graeme Pollock, Clive Rice, Mike Procter, Allan Donald
West Indies - Sobers, Richards, Lara
Australia - Bradman(no one else comes close)
NZ - Hadlee, Martin Crowe(Hadlee is the definite No: 1, but Crowe is a favorite of mine and I couldn't resist adding him)

Langeveldt

Soutie
WORST RECENT PLAYERS

Australia - Brad Williams
Bangladesh - Moniruzzaman
England - Rob Key
India - Tinu Youhannan
New Zealand - Brendon McCullum
Pakistan - Humayun Farhat
South Africa - Robbie Peterson
Sri Lanka - Jehan Mubarak
West Indies - Adam Sanford
Zimbabwe - Vusi Sibanda

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Re: WORST RECENT PLAYERS

Langeveldt said:
England - Rob Key
India - Tinu Youhannan
Zimbabwe - Vusi Sibanda
I havent seen the Moinruzamman fellow but would sure like to know his abilities :D.

I am sure some Aussies would disagree but I find Williams pretty ordinary too, just delivering the ball fast doesnt impress me hugely.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Re: Re: WORST RECENT PLAYERS

Pratyush said:
I havent seen the Moinruzamman fellow but would sure like to know his abilities :D.

I am sure some Aussies would disagree but I find Williams pretty ordinary too, just delivering the ball fast doesnt impress me hugely.
Williams bowled nicely against Zim, but surely such a proud sporting nation can do better than this guy.. IMO he bowls like Mark Ealham with a bit more behind the ball.. very ordinary.. And I think we have a new "Ugliest current player"

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Re: Re: Re: WORST RECENT PLAYERS

Langeveldt said:
And I think we have a new "Ugliest current player"
He sure looks ugly when he cebrates, goes into ball but looks no where as bad as Ian Harvey with his long hair. Dean Jones appears as Professor Dino before the matches for ESPN and said the weaknesses of the Australian team vs Zimbabwe were 'the haircuts! dude Ian Harvey hasnt got a haircut since the World Cup! Get a hair cut.' he said :lol:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
But you can only research what was reported!
FCOL - I did mention that I have researched patterns in reports.
Otherwise there wouldn't be much worth researching.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The most annoying wicket celebration that I've seen is that of Andre Nel.
But would you have found it quite so annoying had the series not been against WI?:saint:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: WORST RECENT PLAYERS

Pratyush said:
He sure looks ugly when he cebrates, goes into ball but looks no where as bad as Ian Harvey with his long hair. Dean Jones appears as Professor Dino before the matches for ESPN and said the weaknesses of the Australian team vs Zimbabwe were 'the haircuts! dude Ian Harvey hasnt got a haircut since the World Cup! Get a hair cut.' he said :lol:
Is 70s long-hair coming back into consideration in Australia?
Warne, Gillespie, Lee, Hayden, Harvey, Symonds, they've all got too long hair.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Re: Re: Re: WORST RECENT PLAYERS

Langeveldt said:
Williams bowled nicely against Zim, but surely such a proud sporting nation can do better than this guy.. IMO he bowls like Mark Ealham with a bit more behind the ball.. very ordinary..
That's a huge insult to Mark Ealham.
He can land the ball better than almost anyone. Williams is three times as wayward as he's ever been.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Re: WORST RECENT PLAYERS

Langeveldt said:
England - Rob Key
India - Tinu Youhannan
Zimbabwe - Vusi Sibanda
Wouldn't really disagree with any of that.
Except maybe for England I'd have Dawson and Batty.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WORST RECENT PLAYERS

Richard said:
Is 70s long-hair coming back into consideration in Australia?
Warne, Gillespie, Lee, Hayden, Harvey, Symonds, they've all got too long hair.
Lee's hair is styled, not long. Symonds' hair is not long either; it's just a bad haircut. Williams' hair is too long.