• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gough quits Headingley

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
CW on the button as ever..

http://www.cricketweb.net/articles/EpZuZpuAkZNzDQilFc.shtml

Yorkshire and England seamer Darren Gough has left the Headingley side after 15 years at the White Rose County, citing "family reasons" for his departure.

The Barnsley-born fast bowler made his Yorkshire debut in 1989 and has taken 727 first class wickets at 26.92, with best figures of 7-28.

He starred in England's NatWest Series in Summer 2003, but was dropped for the winter games in Sri Lanka and Bangladesh, having retired from Test Cricket with 229 wickets in 56 matches following an unsuccessful comeback against South Africa following the NatWest Series.

Gough's statement - read out by Yorkshire CCC chief executive Colin Graves at a Headingley Press Conference - read, "For family reasons I have today agreed with Yorkshire that after 15 very happy years I will leave the club."

"I am incredibly grateful for the support the club and fans have shown me through my Yorkshire and England career."

"It has been one of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make and I was guided ultimately by the fact that I need to spend less time commuting and more time with my children."

"My definite aim is to continue playing first-class cricket and hopefully regain my one-day international place."

Following the bowler's statement, Graves continued, "We saw a future for him with Yorkshire but Darren sent in his request this morning and we responded accordingly."

"I'm disappointed because Yorkshire has helped him over the last two or three years when he has had difficult times but nobody's going to stand in his way."

"It was not a quick decision. He's had a long time to think about it - we've put no pressure on him."

Yorkshire 'discussed' the chance of Gough taking over captaincy in a bid to keep him on board, however Surrey and Kent are likely to be front-runners for his signature for 2004 - Gough moved to Buckinghamshire four years ago, doing himself little favours with the Yorkshire membership.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Clearly mishandled by the selectors. Gough has done too much for England to be ignored completely by the selectors as he is now.

krkode

State Captain
England could use a man like him. Too bad he had to retire :(

Good that he's beginning to normalize his life now, though. I wonder if cricketers make enough money to stop working when they retire at 34-36...do they?

Men like Sachin Tendulkar and Steve Waugh can probably afford that, but what about your regular joe like Gough?

krkode

State Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I've always considered Gough more of a superstar than a 'regular joe'.
My bad. Wrong word usage. Agreed, he is a superstar. But not at Tendulkar's or Waugh's level. So, what about that question now?

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
krkode said:
My bad. Wrong word usage. Agreed, he is a superstar. But not at Tendulkar's or Waugh's level. So, what about that question now?
I think he might have one or two pennys to rub together. He could always go into the media or coaching.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
According to the news guy on Essex FM, there is a good chance he is coming to Essex. They had an interview with Irani, who said that it is music to his ears.

Hopefully this turns out to be the case!:D

raju

School Boy/Girl Captain
Gough has many fine traits as a player and as a person but I don't consider modesty one of them.
As for him leaving Yorkshire he's only done what any yorkshireman worth his salt would do once he got a few shekels in his bank account, that's to sod off and live in Bucks forever proclaiming how proud he is of his roots. (see also Boycott, Bennett, Parkinson, etc. etc.)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:( :( :( :( :( :( :(
I really think James should invent a tear-stained face.
Wherever Goughie may go, he'll always be massively missed.

PY

International Coach
Xpression FM :lol: reminds me of your show :P

Think we'll go with Cricinfo for now ay folks :)