• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Historical footage: Impressions of some greats

SeamUp

International Coach
Introducing the SA cricket team of 1924 including one of the world's best batsmen Herby Taylor. Can't beat British Pathe. For old football games as well.

Didn't know whether to put this in the youtube thread or here.

Last edited:

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
At 0.45 did Dave Nourse play a "leave shot", or did they for some reason decide to include a clip of him playing & missing at a ball?

Great find SeamUp. First time I'd ever seen Taylor in moving pictures!

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Back in those days you read about them going back but its quite different when you actually watch it to how envisaged it ?

Jimmy - Personally I think they embarrassed him a touch. :D Supposedly he never taught his son anything about cricket and only watched him for the first time when he played for the Springboks I think.

watson

Banned
It's interesting that they called Herbie Taylor 'one of the three best batsman in the world'.

I wonder who was considered the top 2 in 1924. Perhaps Hobbs and Macartney?

SeamUp

International Coach
Australia in the nets in 1930 ahead of the Ashes. Includes Woodfull, Grimmett, Hornibrook and a young Don Bradman.

SeamUp

International Coach
It's interesting that they called Herbie Taylor 'one of the three best batsman in the world'.

Don't suppose Patsy Hendren would come into this ?

They said he was at his best after the war.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain

For what it's worth (not all that much), the top few in the retrospective rankings then were

1. Herbie Taylor (844)
2. Jack Hobbs (834)
3. Jack Russell (727)
4. Charles Macartney (680)
5. Phil Mead (675)
6. Herbie Collins (672)
7. Warren Bardsley (649)
8. Aubrey Faulker (635)
9. Dave Nourse (615)

so Hobbs, Macartney and Taylor looks quite a plausible top 3 (bearing in mind that Russell didn't play any more Tests after 1923).

In the event, Bob Catterall was much their most successful batsman in a disappointing tour.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Got to love Clarrie being referred to in that newsreel as a "splendid bat".

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Wessels would have to have one of the better records against the WIs in the 80s/early 90s.

Gutsy cricketer.

watson

Banned
TOTAB owning the Windies in Clive Lloyd's last test never gets old.
Great video. Seems just like yesterday that I was watching the game live at a mates place in Ermington when Bennett cleaned-up a clueless Richards with the arm-ball.

Incidently, Bennett looked iconic in his dark specs. Not sure why cricketers don't wear them more often, especially the spinners

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Also watched Bob Willis' 8 for 43 live in 1981. Got roasted the next day by the boss for turning-up late yet again.

This is an excellent video of that Headingley Test. Not because of the footage because we've all seen it a million times before, but because of the pithy narky interviews and comments by the players. Bob Willis giving the tabloid press the what-for straight after the game with beer in hand is just gold. Then there is the party at Botham's place during the rest day with someones misses being carted around the backyard in a wheelbarrow before being dumped.....

Last edited:

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Nice. I love how there's a "Sydney Barnes Society" out there.

Syd looks like he's bowling within himself there. Obviously he was getting on a bit by 1931. Amazing to think he classed himself as a spinner, yet bowled at a respectable pace. Genius.

Days of Grace

International Captain
I don't recall seeing this Bodyline video. No Larwood, but we get a good look at Voce and Gubby Allen.

I had the impression that Bill Voce was one part of an intimidatory partnership to win back the Ashes but in this video he looks like a medium pacer and Gubby Allen looks much more like a fast bowler.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

watson

Banned
I had the impression that Bill Voce was one part of an intimidatory partnership to win back the Ashes but in this video he looks like a medium pacer and Gubby Allen looks much more like a fast bowler.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
Interesting observation DoG. Gubby Allen does look energetic compared to Voce who appears rather lumbering.

But I'm looking at where Duckworth and the slips are standing relative to the stumps and I can't make out a lot of difference between the two bowlers. Perhaps Voce hit the pitch harder than expected.