• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ajmal Action Reported

jonbrooks

International Debutant
From cricinfo.

The Sri Lankan board has finally begun to get its house in order.

Kudos, but the figures quoted in the article (20-25 bowlers have been reported from Divs 1 & 2 of the SL U23 comp, most of whom are offies) suggest this is probably overdue.

As echoed by SLC umpires educator Tyron Wijewardene,

There it is, folks; chucking is a cancer in Sri Lankan cricket.

LOL! Talk about closing the barn door after the horse has bolted. Remember a guy named Muralitharan?!

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I remember 230 posts worth of complaining about him. Can't quite recall the exact reason though, just that it was getting very tiring.

GGG

State Captain
LOL! Talk about closing the barn door after the horse has bolted. Remember a guy named Muralitharan?!
Is that the guy that had a bent arm throughout his action and the difference between his bent arm at the start of his action and his bent arm at release was less that 15 degrees?

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't know about always, it is his doosra that he has only started bowling over the last few series I believe and yes it is dodgy.
I didn't get much of a chance to watch him early in his career, thought he looked a bit dodgy in Zimbabwe and then a little worse more recently

I am sure I have read somewhere that the doosra can't be bowled without chucking.
depends on your definition of chucking, if you have enough flexibility in the elbow, shoulder and wrist you can bowl it perfectly legally, however I don't think it would be possible to bowl it with a perfectly straight arm

GGG

State Captain
I didn't get much of a chance to watch him early in his career, thought he looked a bit dodgy in Zimbabwe and then a little worse more recently

depends on your definition of chucking, if you have enough flexibility in the elbow, shoulder and wrist you can bowl it perfectly legally, however I don't think it would be possible to bowl it with a perfectly straight arm
True, just watched some old videos of Saqlain Mushtaq and his action looks pretty clean.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I think they'll cycle through every offie/orthodox spinner with even the slightest noticeable kink in the elbow, tbh.

Probably looking at Brumby's thread and counting down from 10 to 1.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
So I've updated the list and we have:

Hey, don't stereotype me. I'm a fully rounded individual who doesn't focus on particular hobbyhorses...

Nah, I'll bite:

Inzy - 11
Ajmal - 10
Botha - 10
Shabbir - 10
Gannon - 9
Samuels - 9
Williamson - 9
Senanayake - 8.5
Shoaib Malik - 8.5
Jermaine Lawson - 8
Murali - 8
Dhawan - 7
Kirtley - 6.5
Hall - 6
Ellis - 5.5
Hafeez - 5
Narine - 4.5
Lee - 3.5
Shoaib - 3
Praveen - 2
Ashwin - 1.5
Moeen - 1
Ojha - <1
+ Shillingford, Gazi and Utseya. Strike-outs are either cited or retired (from internationals) individuals. Someone to provide deets if anybody else from that list has been cited (or retired).

So the evidence is clear -- Shoaib Malik, you're next!

Last edited:

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
Double standards by ICC. If bowlers actions and stuff are being scrutinised and reported then what about batsman with their massive bat size? just another proof Cricket is becoming a batsman game. I'm surprised no bowler from Big 3 has been reported yet.

91Jmay

International Coach
Double standards by ICC. If bowlers actions and stuff are being scrutinised and reported then what about batsman with their massive bat size? just another proof Cricket is becoming a batsman game. I'm surprised no bowler from Big 3 has been reported yet.
Never heard of James Kirtley then?

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
True, just watched some old videos of Saqlain Mushtaq and his action looks pretty clean.
I've said in an utterly reactionary way that the delivery should be banned, but in the end it's only the one's that really rip it, that I'm worried about, I'm sure Saqlain's type of delivery was kind of bowled in the past, with various bowlers. It's a mild variation on the arm ball really.