• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

who is englands worst spinner

WORST english international spinner from these

• batty

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • dawson

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • croft

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • J brown

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • min patel

• salisbury

• swann

• schofield

• giles

• tufnell

• Total voters

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
But Giles has been fairly decent on the subcontinent.
But then why would yuo even think of chosing the likes of Batty? Giles hasnt won matches or looked like winning matches in any way too. I would rather have faster bowlers troubling the batsmen than spinners trying to master batsmen good in the subcontinent.

PY

International Coach
halsey said:
Yes, but Neil plays for Caistor Town, who, unless I am sorely mistaken, do not play FC cricket. :P
Sorry to be awkward (:P), but Neil doesn't play for Caistor Town.

You're not honestly trying to say that Trescothick would be good enough for Test level which is what my comment was about? :O

Langeveldt

Soutie
Why do people pipe on, calling Giles "crap" etc..

Just because someone isnt world class, a Warne or a Harbhajan, it doesnt mean they are crap.. He does a job, and very rarely bowls tripe.. Sorry just had to get that off my chest..

In that list, Schofield for me.. followed by Dawson.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
PY said:
Sorry to be awkward (:P), but Neil doesn't play for Caistor Town.

You're not honestly trying to say that Trescothick would be good enough for Test level which is what my comment was about? :O
Damn.

No, I am not. But he has ability with the ball, as an FC hat-trick proves.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
PY said:
And Neil has had a 'hat-trick' before. :rolleyes:
It was 3 wickets in four balls :P

Did anyone see that one from Tresco in SL that went for four wides through fine leg... by 'eck...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Giles is not crap, or did I imagine his 16 wickets in 2 Test's in SL or his series in Pakistan?!
Takes those 16 wickets then looses it and bowls so badly in the last Test he ends with 17 wickets in the series at everything but 30...

Giles just isn't an attacking force, his action stops him from turning it much and to compare him with Tuffers is an insult to the Cat. Tuffers ended with 121 wickets at 37.68 from 42 matches, Giles has 83 at 40.02 from 30 matches. Tuffers ended up with 1057 FC wickets, Giles has 437 at 29.04

As for the worst spinner in England, well it's got to be Dawson, he's just plain useless...

Craig

World Traveller
Min Patel?

Unless I have been Uzbekistan lately, but I believe he has been no where of the England camp.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Didn't check his profile but he played a test in 1996 didn't he?

I actually voted for him just because it was funny.

As has been stated, Tufnell and Giles don't belong in that list as they are clearly better than most of the others. Ian Salisbury has been a quality bowler but never had the confidence or backing to take the step up to test cricket.

As for the why play a spinner argument, because if you play 5 right arm medium fast seamers, and they prove ineffective, you're screwed. Simple.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
Giles just isn't an attacking force, his action stops him from turning it much and to compare him with Tuffers is an insult to the Cat.
I only did in the fact that both are far better than this poll.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Shane Warne said:
no mark butchers offies! who remembers that in the last S.A tour? :lol:
And Gary Kirsten managed to get bowled around his legs by one of them...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Some interestingly varied comments here - one crucial thing that must be remembered - there isn't much difference between any fingerspinner, unless one is wayward and one very accurate, on unhelpful wickets.
I'd prefer not have Giles, Harbhajan, Saqlain or Tufnell in any of them.
The only way you can really judge the ability of a fingerspinner is their bowling in helpful conditions - otherwise they really are all as bad as each other.
Dawson and Batty have both played Tests and failed in helpful conditions (SCG, and both have played in the subcontinent).
I would say Giles has played on a helpful pitch in 9 of his Tests - and he's done well in all but 2 of them (Galle and Kandy 2000\01). It's important to remember, also, that not EVERY subcontinent wicket will be like the stereotype.
IMO Giles, and Croft, are just slightly inferior to the like of Saqlain and Harbhajan, because they don't bowl doosras. Neither did Tufnell, he was also amongst roughly the same group IMO, and so was Peter Such. Almost a totally forgotten bowler, but a very fine one in the right conditions.
I don't really see what this obsession with Tufnell being superior to all other English spin is - Tufnell was every bit as poor in typical English conditions as the next fingerspinner.
So basically I think England's worst spinner who has played international cricket is Dawson and Batty tied - they're both as poor as each other.
Min Patel is another who I think could be fairly effective given the right conditions, but he should never have played when he did.
Oh, and Marcus Trescothick has never bowled spin in a Test-match, I can assure all of that. Maybe he might have done on some not-unusual instance of 500 for 6 at Taunton on a hazy August day as another meaningless match petered out into a meaningless draw pre-1999.
And to those who say Giles has never produced match-winning spells - first, remember that that term is a wholly unreliable one, but also remember that Giles has made a contribution, a big one, to the winning of one of the most memorable English victories ever - at Karachi in 2000\01.
Anyway, matches won ratios don't say anything about a player's ability - his record does that.